It is currently April 26th, 2024, 9:32 am

Rainmeter on 3 monitors

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
subliminal

Rainmeter on 3 monitors

Post by subliminal »

HI

I have 3 monitors.
Let's call them M1, M2 and M3.

I want Rainmeter to ALWAYS appear on monitor 3.

I also have a PS3 connected on M1. So when I switch the PS3 on, only M2 and M3 are used by the PC, and M1 by the PS3.

But Rainmeter skins always move onto M2 when PS3 is switched on (M2 becoming the Primary monitor), instead of staying on M3. And when I switch the PS3 off, Rainmeter skins move to M1 (Primary Monitor when PS3 is switched off)!!

Is there a way to make Rainmeter modules to never leave M3?

N.B.: The option "Use Default Primary Monitor" in each skins' options is not checked.
Every skin has the options as shown in the screenshot attached.
M1: Generic PnP
M2: BenQ
M3: @Dell

thnx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i9 14900K | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex Encore | Corsair DDR5 32GB @6000MHz | Geforce RTX 3060 Ti | Corsair MP700 Pro PCIe 5 1TB | Corsair RM850x Plus Gold
iNjUST

Re: Rainmeter on 3 monitors

Post by iNjUST »

You can go into the Rainmeter.ini settings file and modify the skins you wish to force to Monitor 3. Using the WindowX, WindowY keys, modify the position with an @[i]N[/i] postfix for the monitor you want--in this case @3. You may want to also set AutoSelectScreen to 0, to make sure it doesn't change screens automatically.

So one skin's settings might look like:

Code: Select all

[MySkinName]
Active=1
WindowX=100@3
WindowY=400@3
AutoSelectScreen=0
;...other settings...
I don't have multiple screens to test this for you, but this should point you in the right direction.
Last edited by iNjUST on November 1st, 2014, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subliminal

Post by subliminal »

First thanks a lot for your help.

Very good idea, unfortunately, Rainmeter changes the @number of that screen! :twisted:

So the monitor I want to use for Rainmeter switches from @2 (without the PS3) to @1 (with PS3 ON).

Which I don't understand since when the PS3 is connected, the primary monitor is not this screen, it shows as number 2 in windows, but is @1 in Rainmeter.

Any ways please to for Rainmeter to always assign the same @number to every monitor?

thanks a lot.
Intel Core i9 14900K | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex Encore | Corsair DDR5 32GB @6000MHz | Geforce RTX 3060 Ti | Corsair MP700 Pro PCIe 5 1TB | Corsair RM850x Plus Gold
iNjUST

Post by iNjUST »

One minor error I noticed in my previous post was to say that AutoSelectScreen should be 0, but I accidentally wrote 1 in the sample code. Double check to make sure you set this up correctly, and change it to zero and re-test if not.

I believe that Rainmeter uses the Windows-defined monitor numbering. If you right click on a skin or on the Rainmeter tray icon and choose "Manage", select your skin from the menu and then use the Display Monitor dropdown menu in the bottom right to see a list of monitors and their names. Double-check this with and without the PS3, and use that to modify your skins.

The only issue may be that when the PS3 is plugged in, screen 3 no longer exists (the computer only sees 2 monitors, and so their can't be a #3, it is now re-numbered as 2). So Rainmeter might switch back to 1 if it detects a screen number out of range.

These are all just ideas to give you some more ways to troubleshoot. I don't know enough about how exactly Rainmeter, Windows, and your monitor setup behave.
subliminal

Post by subliminal »

yeah you wrote "0" in your post so that was fine :-)

thanks a lot for your help again! At least now, when I swith Off the PS3, it gets back to @2, where I want it to be (I was wrong above, it's not @3 but @2 where the right monitor is).
So it's a pitty that Rainmeter changes the numbering of this monitor. If it didn't, It would work perfectly as it would stay @2.

thanks
xxGxHxOxSxTxx

Post by xxGxHxOxSxTxx »

i'll jump in on this as well

will this code also be for just 2 monitors ?

using the same code given below by Injust?
iNjUST wrote:You can go into the Rainmeter.ini settings file and modify the skins you wish to force to Monitor 3. Using the WindowX, WindowY keys, modify the position with an @[i]N[/i] postfix for the monitor you want--in this case @3. You may want to also set AutoSelectScreen to 0, to make sure it doesn't change screens automatically.

So one skin's settings might look like:

Code: Select all

[MySkinName]
Active=1
WindowX=100@3
WindowY=400@3
AutoSelectScreen=0
;...other settings...
I don't have multiple screens to test this for you, but this should point you in the right direction.