It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:32 pm

Can't Use Rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
yugamer

Can't Use Rainmeter

Post by yugamer »

I just got Rainmeter and was just using it seeing whet i could do and i closed all my skins then realized that i couldn't open any skins without at least one open. I searched on Google to see if there was a way to get them open manually and all i found was by using the system try but i don't have a Rainmeter icon in the system tray and don't know how to fix it. Can someone help i am using 3.1 if that info helps
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Can't Use Rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

If you have turned off the Notification Area icon, and have unloaded all skins, then you are indeed in a bit of a pickle. Rainmeter is presumably running, but you have no way to interact with it.

Find and edit the file:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

If there is a line near the top in the [Rainmeter] section that is:

TrayIcon=0

Either change that to TrayIcon=1 or simply remove the entire line.

Save the file.

Now you need to refresh Rainmeter. Since you can't interact with it, you will need to use Task Manager in Windows to stop the Rainmeter.exe process, then restart Rainmeter by using the shortcut it installed in your Start menu, or by running C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe.

Now you will have a Rainmeter icon in the Windows Notification Area. (the artist formerly known as System Tray). You can left-click that to open Manage, or right-click it and select Manage from the context menu. Then you can load some skins or a Layout or whatever you want to do.
2014-11-25_074730.jpg
I really don't recommend turning off the Rainmeter Notification Area icon. You can make it "hide" when not needed by changing its setting in the "Customize" dialog for the Notification Area.
2014-11-25_074730.jpg
That way it will be "hidden" under the little up arrow in the Notification Area, but can still be used.

The only scenario where it makes sense to turn off the tray icon is if you have some skins running, have them set to "click-through" so the user can't interact with them (well, they can, but they would have to know about CTRL-click) and you don't want the user to have access to the context menu of the tray icon. This entire thing, trying to have some kind of Rainmeter setup that is protected from user interaction, is not something Rainmeter really supports in other than the most "locks are to keep honest people honest" kind of way, and is really just an inducement to have the user find a way around it, which is really easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moshi

Post by moshi »

an other method would be to install a new(!) RMSKIN that automatically loads after installation.

just in case:
Lab2_2.0.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iNjUST

Post by iNjUST »

Or use the command line:

To refresh the program:
"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" !RefreshApp

To open the tray menu at the current mouse location:
"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" !TrayMenu

To reset it to the default illustro layout:
"C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" "!LoadLayout illustro default"

Or any other !Bangs.