It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:06 am

Default Monitor

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
rolldog

Default Monitor

Post by rolldog »

I recently installed Rainmeter, and so far I'm loving the customization it offers. I have one question though that I'm hoping someone here can answer for me. I'm running 3 monitors on my system, and I want to dedicate one of my monitors to Rainmeter. By default, Rainmeter is setup to use the primary monitor, but the monitor I want to use isn't the primary monitor. It's monitor #3 in my setup. I've been going through each individual skin and changing the Monitor X and Monitor Y to the monitor I want to use by adding @3 at the end of each line for each individual skin. Is there a way for me to make this change globally so whenever I download and apply a new skin or open another skin that Rainmeter will automatically apply it to Monitor 3, or will I have to continue manually changing every since piece of every skin so it'll show up on Monitor 3? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Default Monitor

Post by jsmorley »

If what you mean is "can I have skins that I install automatically open the first time on monitor 3?" then the answer is no. Rainmeter will open all skins the first time at 0,0 of the "primary" monitor in Windows. That can't be changed or "set".

Monitor support in Rainmeter is tricky. What Rainmeter really sees is one "virtual screen", no matter how many monitors you have.

While you can edit Rainmeter.ini and put @3 on the end of WindowX and WindowY, be aware that is really just tells Rainmeter to calculate and save whatever position you drag it to based on monitor 3. It will do nothing to "keep" it on monitor 3. If you drag the skin over to monitor 2, Rainmeter is fine with that. It will then use a WindowX (for instance) that is the number of pixels from the left edge of monitor 3. So you might end up with WindowX@3=-978 or some other negative number, but the skin will be on monitor 2.

In any case, the long and the short of it in my view is that all new skins will open at 0,0 on the primary monitor. You can then drag them to any monitor you want, and they will "remember" where you left them. That might be WindowX=3283 or some really large number if you drag a skin to monitor 3, but in practice that will be transparent to you. If you put the skin on monitor 3, it will stay there. I have a half-dozen skins that I run on my second monitor, and they always stay right where I leave them.

Not sure there is any real value in editing them all to add @3 to WindowX and WindowY. That doesn't mean "this skin belongs on monitor 3", but "calculate and save the WindowX that this skin is currently at based on monitor 3".
rolldog

Re: Default Monitor

Post by rolldog »

Well, that sucks. Thank you for answering my question though. I guess I'll stop editing all the Rainmeter files to make the skins show on monitor 3. I guess I could try switching monitors 2 & 3. Monitor 1 is my primary monitor, running in 4K, monitor 2 runs at 1920x1080, and monitor 3 runs at 2560x1440. I thought it would be convenient to have some skins loaded on my 2560x1440 monitor while I use the other 2 to work on. I didn't try dragging the items to where I wanted them on monitor 3. I just went through the Rainmeter.ini files and added @3 at the end of Window X & Y, only to load them and then appear on monitor 2. I think I just wasted a lot of time doing this. Thanks again for the info.