It is currently April 25th, 2024, 12:57 am

Rainmeter and Windows 10

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
rick-t-fiedrain

Rainmeter and Windows 10

Post by rick-t-fiedrain »

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I ran into problems with my skins not being able to write and save to variables to any file.

In case others run into similar problems, please know there is a simple solution: Just reinstall Rainmeter and all will be well.

RICK
rick-t-fiedrain

Re: Rainmeter and Windows 10

Post by rick-t-fiedrain »

Well, the solution from my previous post worked for 15 hours. Suddenly, out of the blue, Windows 10 seems to block rainmeter from being able to write to the disc.

Solution number two: Run rainmeter.exe with as administrator (instructions on doing that at the bottom for anyone who might need them.)

All is working again ... for now.

RICK

Make Rainmeter always run as an Administrator in Windows 10:
  1. 1) Using file explorer navigate to Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe
  • 2) Right click on Rainmeter.exe.
  • 3) From the context menu click 'Properties'.
  • 4) On the resulting window select the 'Compatibility" tab.
  • 5) Find option 'Run this program as an administrator'.
  • 6) Select the Checkmark Box and click 'Apply' or 'OK'.

The next time you load rainmeter, it will be as an administrator.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I don't have Windows 10, but in case you have the skins folder on C:, you should try move it to D: (or any other drive). Just a thought.
Weigh13

Post by Weigh13 »

Hi guys! I'm having an odd problem. Rainmeter runs fine after I changed it to run as admin, but now the app won't start when windows starts. It even appears in the list of startup apps in task manager but it simply won't open unless I run it myself. Anyone have a guess for what's going on?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Weigh13 wrote:Hi guys! I'm having an odd problem. Rainmeter runs fine after I changed it to run as admin, but now the app won't start when windows starts. It even appears in the list of startup apps in task manager but it simply won't open unless I run it myself. Anyone have a guess for what's going on?
You have some kind of permissions problem with your account or on your Documents folder or something, There should be no need to go through all this with Rainmeter. When installed normally, it only writes to two places. Your account's personal APPDATA folder, which your account should have full access to, and your account's personal Documents folder, which you should also have full access to.

I don't know what is going on for you, unless you installed Rainmeter in "portable" mode and have it in a location like C:\Program files\ that Windows will aggressively protect.

But in any case, Windows is not thrilled about running 3rd-party apps that are set to "Run as administrator" from the Startup folder. What you will have to do (assuming you can't just fix this permissions issue) is to create a Scheduled Task (Task Scheduler under "Windows Administrative Tools") to have Rainmeter executed when your account "logs on to Windows".

The process will be similar to one I posted about a while back to run SpeedFan at startup the same way:

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79783#p79783
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

Im having a size problem, Rainmeter works fine but it's bigger than it was before. Anybody know how to resize it to make it smaller.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

jckinncik wrote:Im having a size problem, Rainmeter works fine but it's bigger than it was before. Anybody know how to resize it to make it smaller.
Sounds to me like Windows 10 has changed the DPI (dots per inch) or screen resolution of your display. You might want to look at changing these:
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

Im not on the laptop that has Rainmeter at the moment, but I will try that thanks. The only thing I'm worried about is that it will make everything else smaller. Rainmeter is the only thing on my desktop that is big, everything else is the right size.
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

jsmorley wrote: Sounds to me like Windows 10 has changed the DPI (dots per inch) or screen resolution of your display. You might want to look at changing these:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Didn't work I'm already set to the smallest size and Rainmeter is the only thing that's too big on my desktop.
moshi

Post by moshi »

screenshot or it didn't happen