It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:58 pm

[Feature Suggestion] Rainmeter on top of Modern apps?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
superluig164

[Feature Suggestion] Rainmeter on top of Modern apps?

Post by superluig164 »

Might it be made possible for Rainmeter to show meters on top of Modern apps in Windows 8+? I use the Audioscope skin, and would really like to see my frequency bars over Modern apps. Is this possible atm, or not?
Bekarfel

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Rainmeter on top of Modern apps?

Post by Bekarfel »

This is possible, but not currently available, but may be something the devs would enjoy chewing on. I've quoted the instructions here in case they get beered over on the other site,

[QU​OTE]

Yes, it is possible. Please take a look at this page:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/pavely/archive/2012/05/16/windows-8-topmost-vs-topmost.aspx

Specifically the second post in the comments section:
The topmost window is also affected by the accessibility settings. If you want a window on top of Metro, you need it to declare accessibility. Here are the key points:
  1. The application must demand uiAccess (app.manifest)
  2. The application must assert “topmost” window positioning (either in Win32/SetWindowPos or WinForms/WPF’s Topmost property, programmatically or otherwise)
  3. Without making changes to the group policy setting, it must be installed to some trusted location [C:\Windows, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86)].
    • If you want to be able to run it out of an arbitrary location, you must disable the security setting: “User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations”.
    • This is the same as setting HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ValidateAdminCodeSignatures to 0
  4. Said application cannot be run in the debugger
  5. If it’s a .NET application:
    • The manifest must be embedded in a post-build step
    • The application must have “delayed signing” (meaning it cannot be ran from the built-in debugger, although you can build and attach – this is what Microsoft does)
  6. The application must be signed with a trusted certificate.
  7. Said trusted certificate must be installed to the Trusted Root Certificate Authority (this is important! It must not just simply installed)
[ENDQUOTE]
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...