It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:17 am

[Resolved] Media player classic mpc-hc flicker

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
schollar5

[Resolved] Media player classic mpc-hc flicker

Post by schollar5 »

Hi,

Yesterday i picked up the first installation of rainmeter ever on my notebook, and so far so good everything works great, but then i experienced some strange results with video playback using media player classic (MPC-HC 1.5.3.x) with Overlay rendering settings. I'm using this setting a long while (for years) and not any problem ever happened but it seems like Rainmeter just won't fit, it just starts flickering when i open a video and start playback, and then it flickers also when i interact with the mpc gui, even if i move the mpc window through the screen. The video plays back just fine. I can change the rendering methods in mpc hc, to VMR/EVR etc but the only setting the video looks fine is Haali renderer that is ok, but it causes quite high cpu usage that means haali is not an option, but overlay is the only one. So all in all, it looks like that Rainmeter might have difficulties with the rendering methods. As far as i can tell, the Overlay renderer is uses DirectDraw to display the content, but i can't tell how it really does. As a quick addition i tested dxdiag and it also went fine without any flicker.

I'm tested flash video playback on youtube, even flash games with 3d renderers (these are hardware accelerated) but i didn't noticed any flicker, so it's hard to tell what really causing this issue. I even launched up splinter cell 1 game in windowed mode, but no flickers.

My notebook is equipped with X3100 vga, T9300 cpu, on an up to date Windows XP SP2. I even installed dotnet's till 3.5 sp1, and let the windows update to get the kb's for dotnet, so i'd say it's a quite up to date sp2.

Can i help somehow to test this issue? Any test/demo app i can run just instruct me what to do.

Bests,
R.
Last edited by schollar5 on January 25th, 2012, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schollar5

Re: Intel X3100 (965) strange flicker issue on video playbac

Post by schollar5 »

Ok, one more bit of information, i can turn down the hardware acceleration on the troubleshoot tab, but it had no impact on the flickerings till i reached the 3rd position (disabling the direct3d and directdraw stuff) when it gets acting strange. the video turns upside down (even the subtitles) but the flicker is immediately goes away!

Strange, isn't it?
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Might want to post this into the "Bugs" section:

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Presumably you are running up-to-date graphics drivers?
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

schollar5

Post by schollar5 »

Edit:

Video bios updated to 1668 (verified in bios / system information)
Intel chipset driver updated to the latest 9.3.0.1019 (as seen on downloadcenter.intel.com).
965GMA updated to the lastest x.5128 (verified)

It has no impact on the flickering issue, it is happening exactly the same way like before. The mostly odd thing is, i never experienced such a flickering but rainmeter the only one it does, so i belive it must be something with the rendering that causes the problems here.
schollar5

Post by schollar5 »

Probably, fixing the issue i experienced here might improve the rendering mechanism of Rainmeter for everyone, so i'd say it's worth a look... but that's my opinion.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Do you get the same effect with other media players, VLC for instance?
schollar5

Post by schollar5 »

Hmm thanks for the tip i checked vlc and i was unable to reproduce the flickering with any of the rendering modes, so it looks like the mpc have the issue here with the Overlay video display, and rainmeter is just fine as it is.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

schollar5 wrote:Hmm thanks for the tip i checked vlc and i was unable to reproduce the flickering with any of the rendering modes, so it looks like the mpc have the issue here with the Overlay video display, and rainmeter is just fine as it is.
Glad that works. To be honest I personally think VLC is a better media player in any case, as things like Media Player Classic (make no mistake, a popular and good player) also require you to install some CODEC pack as well, where VLC does not.

I'd love to know what is going on with MPC, but I can't replicate the issue here on my desktop / nVidia hardware, and I don't know that without your hardware and drivers to test on, anyone here is going to be able to make much progress. I'm just glad there is a solution that works for you.
Seahorse

Re: [Resolved] Media player classic mpc-hc flicker

Post by Seahorse »

nVdia and MPC for life, never seen the issue... 8-)
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt