It is currently May 4th, 2024, 11:03 am

The Meter Measure

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
MattKing
Developer

The Meter Measure

Post by MattKing »

I propose a measure that gives you information back about a meter / skin. It will give back the position of skin / meter and all that other information.

So something like

[SkinMeasure]
Measure=SkinInfo
Meter=MyMeter
GetX=1

SkinMeasure would now return the position of MyMeter.

This could applied to all of the properties of a skin or meter.

Would anyone find this useful at all?
legolas1042

Re: The Meter Measure

Post by legolas1042 »

That would be awesome, along those lines you could check of course a few things such as SnapEdges and SavePosition would probably be useless in really any situation but things like WindowX WindowY and Active would be amazing to have...
Active
WindowX
WindowY
SnapEdges
AlphaValue
FadeDuration
ClickThrough
Draggable
HideOnMouseOver
SavePosition
KeepOnScreen
AlwaysOnTop
AutoSelectScreen
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

I like it. One suggestion might be to use something like "Parameter=X" instead of "GetX=1". That way you can just go and search for that specific paramenter instead of needing a key for each one.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex2539 wrote:I like it. One suggestion might be to use something like "Parameter=X" instead of "GetX=1". That way you can just go and search for that specific paramenter instead of needing a key for each one.
It's a conundrum though. Today Rainmeter does not allow duplicate "Keys" in a single meter, as it breaks standard .ini rules. So it might take some doing to allow

Parameter=WindowX
Parameter=Draggable

So we can either have a Key for each thing we want to return, like WindowX= and Draggable= or the user would need a measure for each item...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Guess we could do

Parameter1=WindowX
Parameter2=Draggable
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

The user would need a separate measure for each item anyways. Consider this: you have this hypothetical meter measure and meter reading it:

Code: Select all

[SkinMeasure]
Measure=SkinInfo
Meter=MyMeter
GetX=1
GetY=1

[OtherMeter]
Meter=String
MeasureName=SkinMeasure
Which value would OtherMeter show? X or Y? While it's certainly not feasible to have multiple parameter keys in a single meter, returning multiple values isn't either. Even if an index system akin to the one seen in WebParser were implemented, you would need exactly as many extra measures to show the information.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex2539 wrote:The user would need a separate measure for each item anyways. Consider this: you have this hypothetical meter measure and meter reading it:

[SkinMeasure]
Measure=SkinInfo
Meter=MyMeter
GetX=1
GetY=1

[OtherMeter]
Meter=String
MeasureName=SkinMeasure
Which value would OtherMeter show? X or Y? While it's certainly not feasible to have multiple parameter keys in a single meter, returning multiple values isn't either. Even if an index system akin to the one seen in WebParser were implemented, you would need exactly as many extra measures to show the information.
That's true. %1, %2 could work in a string meter, but not really anywhere else. So it's one measure per item you want, and SkinSetting=xxxx makes sense. (Not sure I would use "Parameter" myself, it's pretty generic, but it would work ok)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

By the way, if we are getting a lot of this stuff from the same info as Rainmeter.ini is provided, it might be at the "Config" level, not the "Skin" level.
MattKing
Developer

Post by MattKing »

[SkinMeasure]
Measure=SkinInfo
Meter=MyMeter

[OtherMeter]
Meter=String
MeasureName=SkinMeasure[SomeProperty]
OR something like that, so you don't have to a billion measures, that might be a fundamental change, I'll look into it sometime.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MattKing wrote:

[SkinMeasure]
Measure=SkinInfo
Meter=MyMeter

[OtherMeter]
Meter=String
MeasureName=SkinMeasure[SomeProperty]
OR something like that, so you don't have to a billion measures, that might be a fundamental change, I'll look into it sometime.
That would be a hot approach.