It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:41 am

Multiple Instances of Rainmetter???

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
n1nj4Lo

Multiple Instances of Rainmetter???

Post by n1nj4Lo »

Yes this is just a question, spawning off into an idea or speculation for a theme or setup...

Say for instance, I had the Hero theme installed on the main desktop and had a desktop manager installed giving me 7 or so virtual desktops... Then would there be a way to run a separate rainmeter for each desktop? Each instance of rainmeter with a different theme or setup on each virtual desktop...

I ask because I have a tablet and have pondered the possibilities of being able to emulate the looks of an android tab, or heck even using omnimo and then multiple desktops of icons, tiles and feeds or what not on each desktop. In such after everything is setup and ready uncheck draggable in each instance of rainmeter and then setup (I'M SURE IT'S OUT THERE!!! haha!) a swipe left to right gesture for windows (Unrelated to rainmeter, but incorporated with it in this idea) to flick through each rainmeter setup for the 7 or so virtual desktops and between them and the main desktop.

I like rainmeter, but would love to be able to implement this feature/idea into it...

Thanks for all advice and any suggestions!
n1nj4Lo

Re: Multiple Instances of Rainmetter???

Post by n1nj4Lo »

Okay as it is, it appears right now that RainMeter overrides all desktops in a Virtual Desktop...

So right now, the one theme ya have setup is the same theme for however many other Virtual Desktops.

I'm wondering if theres anyway to change this? I'm using DexPot Virtual Desktop Manager, it has an application manager for each desktop. Also allows you to edit each desktop. In the instance of trying to edit and remove a RainMeter object from one desktop it automatically forces that object back open and on that desktop again.

I'm curious about trying to have two simultaneously instances of RainMeter opened and running, 1st one being the installed version and the 2nd one would be the portable version.

I'd really love to hear more idea's about how to implement this!
AlC

Post by AlC »

I think you can do this.

There is a Dexpot/Virtual Desktop plugin, which you should look at it. It could help you
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Plugins-VirtualDesktops_beta

And you can look at this thread for example:
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9872
l3uddy789 said he was running Dexpot, so I think it's possible, when you see his screenshots.

and see here
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9876&p=57845&hilit=dexpot#p57845
Rainmeter - You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.
n1nj4Lo

Post by n1nj4Lo »

Cool some light has finally been shed upon the subject...

I'm going to study up on this a little bit and then give a go at it...

Now the last thing to figure out is a method the rapidly switch between desktops with a flick or a swipe of a finger/stylus across the screen.

My only question is how do I go about making the plugin and is it a .ini file, or do I even need to make one?
Last edited by n1nj4Lo on October 25th, 2011, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlC

Post by AlC »

Now the last thing to figure out is a method the rapidly switch between desktops with a flick or a swipe of a finger/stylus across the screen.
You can make a meter with a bang that switch between the desktops, isn't it.
So you could make a meter with SolidColor=0,0,0,1 so that the meter is almost transparent. Put this for example in the corner .. just a thought.
n1nj4Lo

Post by n1nj4Lo »

Hrmm yea good idea I guess, kinda like home keys on touchscreen phones ui's... LoL

Be pretty easy to hide sense the majority of my wallpaper is black.

I'd prolly have four bang meters 1 in each corner. The second one kinda underneath and set aside diagonally from the close button.
_

As far as the plugin goes, do I just download it and customize away or do I need to create an ini file or what? Kinda confused about all that. LoL
AlC

Post by AlC »

As far as I saw it, you can do this with the official plugin. And the official plugin is in your plugin folder when you install Rainmeter.

And yes you need to make a skin, so you need a ini file with the plugin measures and your meters with the bangs.

Maybe you should look at the Rainmeter 101, to found out how to make skins and use the plugin.
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Plugins-VirtualDesktops_beta
n1nj4Lo

Post by n1nj4Lo »

Okay back from college with two questions...

I can just use normal themes instead of creating one right? Like Omnimo tiled differently with certain other plugins enabled as well, like picture frames and mp3 players.

Also can I use this with RainRez as well? Say for instance I'd have 8 themes 4 for landscape and 4 for portrait...
_

I'm completely new to coding the only thing I have no problem coding is html a little... I'm at a loss of what to do or how to get the VirtualDesktops.dll, VDM.ini and VDMConfig.ini

The main thing that makes me scratch my head is where to begin with making it... haha! All the coding a snipplets of coding just confuse me and then I go huh. LoL
_

I wonder if I installed one of the skins posted at the dexpot.de forums would it all be done and there for me? Then perhaps I could go in and edit and arrange the provided skin to my liking.
AlC

Post by AlC »

I suggest you to read the Rainmeter 101 (and do the little example skins) to know what a skin is. And how measures, plugins, meters and bangs work with each other.
It's not long and after it you know a lot more.

Then you can start make your own skin OR Download a skin and look at the code or edit it.
(search for example for Dexpot at DeviantArt, there is even a skin from sgtevmckay (who is a dev from Rainmeter)

Because how do you want to edit a skin when you don't know how it works.
Also can I use this with RainRez as well? Say for instance I'd have 8 themes 4 for landscape and 4 for portrait..
I don't know, because it works with RainThemes and RainThemes doesn't exist anymore. Here is your contact person JSMorley.
But what do you want to do with RainRez, do you want different screen resolution for each virtual desktop ?
n1nj4Lo

Post by n1nj4Lo »

I think I kinda understand it now after reading this:
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5156
sgtevmckay wrote:My apologies that I missed you initial entry :Embarrassed:

It does work, but also requires some work, as we are also still in a Beta phase from both Rainmeter and Dexpot.
The following is a fast run down of what we can do so far, in regards to this very dilemma ;)
Patrick and Sebastian have been so patient and forgiving in this request. A lot of praise for them is well deserved.

How to place Skins per Virtual Desktop

There are actually two plugins to work with here.
  • 1.) The Plugin that is installed with Rainmeter will actually help you create a Dexpot Controller skin (More information here: http://rainmeter.net/cms/Plugins-VirtualDesktops_beta)
    2.) Actually goes with Dexpot and helps identify to Rainmeter what skin goes where
The second one is the one we will deal with to place skins to various selected Virtual Desktops

I may be jumping around a bit, but bare with me as I am following the very directions that I followed to get this working

Ok, first we need to create a new ini file called " VDMConfig.ini "
this file needs to be placed in the Rainmeter AppData file.
I am unsure of the location in XP as I have forgotten :Embarrassed:
But in Windows Vista and 7 it can be located at:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter
Use Notepad, Notepad++, or any available "Editor" to create the above named ini file in this location.

Next, make certain that you have the " Raindexer.exe " plugin installed to your Dexpot.
RainDexer.exe and the adjoining documentation can be found in this Public thread at Dexpot Forums.
http://dexpot.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2512#p26987

Download and install RainDexer.exe to the Dexpot Plugins folder.
Typically located here:
64bit OS

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dexpot\plugins
32bit OS

C:\Program Files\Dexpot\plugins
Once RainDexer.exe is installed, you will want to Exit and then Start Dexpot.
Once this is done. Go to Dexpot Systems Tray Icon and open "Settings"
Once Settings is open, go to "Plugins and Extras"
Place a check in the box next to RainDexer.
Screenshot - 8_23_2010 , 9_58_38 AM.png
Once the check mark is placed. Click Apply and then OK.

Now we go back and open the VDMConfig.ini in our editor and start making entries.

There are a number of choices, and I have not as yet been able to explore them all, but as outlined from Patrick at Dexpot here:
http://dexpot.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2512#p26987
There are the current set of choices:

[Gnometer\Bars]
VDesktop=*

[Gnometer\Dexpot]
VDesktop=1,2,3,4

[Gnometer\Clock]
VDesktop=1

[Gnometer\Recycle Bin]
VDesktop=2

[Gnometer\System]
VDesktop=3,4
VD3Position=800,0
VD4Position=1000,0
NOTES
Here is what I do know.
If you define a skin to a Virtual Desktop (VD), that is where the skin will appear.
You will have to define the path and the name of the skin (I will show below in another example).
If you restart or refresh Rainmeter, you will need to restart Dexpot, as all skins will be reset too all VD or whichever VD is visible at the time.
You will not notice the VD assignment taking place, until after you have restarted Dexpot. So do not panic if it appears that nothing is happening.
Any skin that is not defined or clearly defined in the VDMConfig.ini will appear on all screens.
Wherever the skin is placed, visible in any given VD or not, is in that position on all VD.
In Order to have the same skin appear on different VD in different positions, you would then be required to create a new skin folder and copy over the skin materials (There are actually several ways to do this).
This is still in Beta for both Dexpot and Rainmeter, but is stable ;)

What do I not Know:
A lot. Still experimenting ;)

On with the tutorial.
Entries in the VDMConfig.ini are very specific.
You must Enter the path of the skin, with correct spelling, starting from the Rainmeter skin sub-folder, also identifying any additional sub-folders ( Now that is a mouthful ;) )
Ultimately the entry should look something like this:

[HUD.Vision\White\CPU]
Vdesktop=2
The first Bracketed Line is the path to the skin I want to have shown on a particular VD. This path must be defined properly (ie. correct spelling, correct path, correct letter case, etc), and must be bracketed as shown above.
The second line defines which VD the skin will appear on. This can be a single VD or many, as defined by you (Refer to the Gnometer example(s) above from Patrick). In My code snippet I have defined VD 2. This defines that this skin will only appear on VD 2 ;)

The following is my current VDMConfig.ini Set up:

[ReleaseDownloads]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\CPU]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\CPU1]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\CPU2]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\CPU3]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\CPU4]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\InfoSystem]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\Network.Info]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\HDD1]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\HDD2]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\HDD3]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\Network]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\RAM]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\Swap]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\White\RSSReader]
Vdesktop=2

[HUD.Vision\Black\RSSReader]
Vdesktop=2
Now I posted a screen capture of this a few weeks ago, in an attempt to get folks to figure out what happened here:
http://sgtevmckay.deviantart.com/#/d2v5fa7 It is amazing to me how many folks have missed this. The entire exercise of the image ;)
I have now officially given it away :p
As you can see; the code above that I have entered defines that all of my HUD identified Skins are on VD 2 !!!
Also; skins that I have not identified, appears on all screens ;)
All in the same position.

You can do this with any skin ;)
So long as the path is properly identified in the VDMConfig.ini
Just remember that you will not see the effect of the change until after you have restarted Dexpot.

I hope this has answered your initial questions and has been of help to you.
If you have any further questions, let me know. I will be monitoring this thread post ;)
Apparently the folks at Dexpot are also watching this thread very closely ;)

We would also like to have you share your documentation as you go, if you are willing, and to document any issues you may have along the way.

Have fun ;)

Regards
The Sarge
My only question now is about the naming process and what was the latest version of RainMeter that RainRez worked with?