It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:59 am

Bug with sleep mode (rainmeter 1.0)

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
KiRe

Bug with sleep mode (rainmeter 1.0)

Post by KiRe »

I've had rainmeter 1.0 for a few hours and it has crashed twice on me due to the same error. When I bring my computer out of sleep mode, it crashed (twice) but I have not been able to replicate the results since. I am running Windows Home Premium SP2 (32-bit), AVG and Windows firewall. This is most of the "problem signature" that i get when i clicked on "more info", I just omitted the additional information since those were the only lines that were different in both cases.

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BEX
  Application Name:	Rainmeter.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	4a7be198
  Fault Module Name:	MSVCR90.dll
  Fault Module Version:	9.0.30729.1
  Fault Module Timestamp:	488ef6c5
  Exception Offset:	00059afc
  Exception Code:	c0000417
  Exception Data:	00000000
  OS Version:	6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
Last edited by KiRe on August 9th, 2009, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiRe

Re: (Potential) Bug with sleep mode

Post by KiRe »

Yeah, this is still happening. I never had rainmeter 0.14 crash on me when i brought my computer out of sleep mode. Same problem, twice since i posted last and i put my computer to sleep a total of 3 times.
sgtevmckay

Re: Bug with sleep mode (rainmeter 1.0)

Post by sgtevmckay »

The Dev Folks and several Members of the community, and at least one member at MSDN are looking into this
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

Thanks for the update and please keep me posted, it is annoying having to restart rainmeter. But a small update...

I still need to test this, but it *seems* like it is more likely to crash after it has been in sleep mode for an extended amount of time (i.e. when i go to bed and wake up). When it does come out of sleep mode, everything looks to be running a little slow and then about 10-20secs the window pops up with the error saying that rainmeter has crashed. Also today when it crashed, right after i closed the error window, i tried using firefox (it was already open, just minimized) and it took a long time for it to respond. Don't know if that is related or not, but i thought i would share.
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

To add to the weirdness, sometimes when it crashes, it doesn't come up with any error dialogue. Like today, after i woke up and brought it out of sleep mode, all my skins were not showing but the rainmeter systray icon was there and then after a few mins it disappeared. All the while there was no difference in my system performance (unlike when the error dialogue pops up).
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

As per our small discussion in the irc last night (between JS, DM and myself) I realized that since upgrading to 1.0, the only changes i have made to my skins are (1) switching from weather.com to accuweather and (2) installing/using the itunes plugin. One i forgot to mention since i literally did it last night was upgrading from the itunes plugin that came with the 1.0 release to the newest one (released Aug 10th, 2009).

So before i went to bed, I closed firefox, itunes and the itunes skin and behold, this morning when i brought my computer out of sleep mode, it didn't crash. I don't know if it was coincidence, one of the three things i closed or some other factor that i'm not realizing.

EDIT: For tonight, should i go back to having all of those open and seeing if it crashes tomorrow or slowly work my way back there? (Leave firefox/itunes open)
Rainy
Developer

Post by Rainy »

If you can make it to crash again could you dump the crashed process to file and upload it to some place from where I can download it?
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

I will try, however a question about making a dump...
When the Windows crash dialog is shown on the desktop open the Task Manager, find the Rainmeter.exe from the process tab and choose "Create Dump File".
I'm not sure if it shows up... but i guess time will tell. But if it doesn't, is there another way to make the dump file?

So I haven't used the computer since i last posted and it didn't crash this time either. Same setup as before except i did have firefox open
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

This morning, no crash. Computer was running on low power mode (which I don't think it was the other days), firefox, itunes and rainmeter (but no itunes skin).
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

Rainmeter crashed: firefox, itunes, low power mode and rainmeter WITH itunes skin running. Managed to get a dump file, looking for somewhere to put it and waiting on a question about the dump file.

...i'm suspecting the itunes skin/plugin...

...anything else I should "test" ?