"Make It Rain"meter

Skins that don't neatly fit into other categories
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

"Make It Rain"meter

Post by eclectic-tech »

makeitrain64.png
"Make It Rain"meter

Sometimes you would like to hide all active Rainmeter skins so they don't interfere with your desktop.
So here is a set of 4 Rainmeter Icon skins that let you toggle all active skin using any variation:
  • 'MakeItRain-Left.ini' ~ Single Left Mouse Click Action to Toggle All Skins
  • 'MakeItRain-Middle.ini' ~ Single Middle Mouse Click Action to Toggle All Skins
  • 'MakeItRain-Hover.ini' ~ Mouse Leave Action to Toggle All Skins
  • 'MakeItRain-Scroll.ini' ~ Mouse Scroll Up Action to Show All Skins/Scroll Down Action to Hide All Skins
Uses 256 pixel Rainmeter icon image and default scale is 0.0625 to match Windows 10 notification icon size
Icon size can be controlled by changing the "Scale" variable in the skins.

Should work with any version of Rainmeter 4.1 or higher due to using "nested" variables. :Whistle

History
V 1.2019.08.08b
Added 4 variants that use Red/Green Icons (To distinguish this Icon from the default Rainmeter Notification Icon)
The Icon will be RED when the action will hide all skins and GREEN when the action will show all skins

V 1.2019.08.08a
Modified default scale to match notification area icon size
Added scale size suggestions in the skin
Attachments
Make_It_Rain_1.2019.08.08b.rmskin
(42.66 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
Active Colors

Re: "Make It Rain"meter

Post by Active Colors »

Wow, works seamlessly. Pretty neat, ET.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Active Colors wrote: August 9th, 2019, 8:47 am Wow, works seamlessly. Pretty neat, ET.
Thanks AC!
dfghrngsdkg

Post by dfghrngsdkg »

Hello and Thank you for this nice little Meter.

Just one question: Is it possible to hide/show (toggle on/off) individual meter instead to hide/show all meter? If so, what do I have to do, how must the code look/be like in this specific meter of yours?

I ask because I came across different threads with different suggestions e.g. Some say something like that a: "Group=HideSkin" has to be placed additionally into the Rainmeter.ini, some say that this Group=HideSkin has to be placed -sometimes additionally to the Rainmeter.ini- into each of the active skin's .ini and so fort, so now I am confused about the right way to get it done.

With kind regards,
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

dfghrngsdkg wrote: September 13th, 2019, 11:28 am Hello and Thank you for this nice little Meter.

Just one question: Is it possible to hide/show (toggle on/off) individual meter instead to hide/show all meter? If so, what do I have to do, how must the code look/be like in this specific meter of yours?
Yes. Groups can be used to define skins, meters, or measures. The advantage of groups is being able to control multiple items (skins, meters, or measures) using a single group action bang instead of having to specify and take the action on each item. My skin does not use grouping (per say), it takes advantage of the asterisk character (*) which refers to "all items" when used in an action bang.

As an example, here is the code for a simple 3 "page" skin which uses groups to define meters.
3page.gif
Look at the group definitions to see how they are applied to meters and used in action bangs to control the display.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1
Group=#RootConfig#
; DefaultUpdateDivider=
SkinWidth=420
SkinHeight=120
OnRefreshAction=[!HideMeterGroup Page][!ShowMeterGroup Page1]

; Background=
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=220,220,220,210

; ========= Metadata ==========
[Metadata]
Name=
Author=
Information=
License=Creative Commons Share-Alike NC 4
Version=

; ========= Variables ==========
[Variables]
SetPage=Page3

; ========= Top Menu Meters ==========

[MeterPage1]
Meter=String
Text=Page1
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Padding=10,5,5,10
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable SetPage Page1][!WriteKeyValue Variables SetPage Page1][!HideMeterGroup Page][!ShowMeterGroup Page1][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
InlineSetting=Weight | 600

[MeterPage2]
Meter=String
X=120R
Text=Page2
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Padding=10,5,5,10
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable SetPage Page2][!WriteKeyValue Variables SetPage Page2][!HideMeterGroup Page][!ShowMeterGroup Page2][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]

[MeterPage3]
Meter=String
Text=Page3
X=120R
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Padding=10,5,5,10
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable SetPage Page3][!WriteKeyValue Variables SetPage Page3][!HideMeterGroup Page][!ShowMeterGroup Page3][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]

; ========= Page1 Meters ==========
[MeterPage1Text]
Group=Page | Page1
Hidden=1
Meter=String
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Y=24
Padding=10,5,10,10
Text="This is page one of a three page skin.#CRLF##CRLF#You can use this as a template to have a multiple page skin.#CRLF#Separate pages allow you to put similar items on each page, #CRLF#expressing a different style on each."

; ========= Page2 Meters ==========
[MeterPage2Text]
Group=Page | Page2
Hidden=1
Meter=String
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Y=24
Padding=10,5,10,10
Text="This is page two of a three page skin.#CRLF##CRLF#You can use this as a template to have a multiple page skin. #CRLF##CRLF#Separate pages allow you to put similar items on each page."
InlineSetting=Oblique

; ========= Page3 Meters ==========
[MeterPage3Text]
Group=Page | Page3
Hidden=1
Meter=String
Y=24
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Padding=10,5,10,10
Text="This is page three of a three page skin.#CRLF##CRLF#You can use this as a template to have a multiple page skin. #CRLF##CRLF#Separate pages allow you to express a different style on each."
InlineSetting=Color | 64,64,64

dfghrngsdkg wrote:I ask because I came across different threads with different suggestions e.g. Some say something like that a: "Group=HideSkin" has to be placed additionally into the Rainmeter.ini, some say that this Group=HideSkin has to be placed -sometimes additionally to the Rainmeter.ini- into each of the active skin's .ini and so fort, so now I am confused about the right way to get it done.

With kind regards,
All of those methods will do the same thing; they create groups of skins. Normally, this is done by adding the group definition in the [Rainmeter] section of the skin when you create it:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
Group=Group1 | Group2
The "section" that includes the "Group=..." definition determines if it is defining a group of skins (when added to the [Rainmeter] section), a group of meters (when added to a meter sections), or a group of measures (when added to a measure sections).

Look through the info here and in the manual and ask any questions you may still have...
dfghrngsdkg

Post by dfghrngsdkg »

Hey,

I see. So for example (based on this code) if I want to hide the "IllustroClock" I have to first:

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
AccurateText=1
Group=#RootConfig#
DynamicWindowSize=1
SkinWidth=(181*#Scale#)
SkinHeight=(256*#Scale#)
;OnRefreshAction=[!ZPos +2]

OnRefreshAction=[!HideMeterGroup Group1][!ShowMeterGroup Group1]

;BackgroundMode=2
;SolidColor=150,150,150,150

; Hide/Show various Skins
LeftMouseUpAction=[!WriteKeyValue Variables Action (1-#Action#)][!SetOption Meter OnUpdateAction [#Action[#Action]]][!UpdateMeter Meter][!Redraw][!Refresh #CurrentConfig#]

[Metadata]
Name=ToggleAll-Left
Author=Eclectic Tech
Information=An Icon that when you press the left mouse button will toggle hide/show all active skins.
Version=1.2019.08.08b

[Variables]
Scale=0.1
; Scale Suggested Sizes
; Scale 0.0625 will match notification area icon size
; Scale 0.0625 will also match Windows 10 small taskbar icon size
; Scale 0.1 will match Windows 10 taskbar size

; DO NOT EDIT THESE
Action=0
Action1=[!Hide *][!Show "#CurrentConfig#"][!Redraw]
Action0=[!Show *][!Redraw]

;Action1=[!Hide][!Show "#CurrentConfig#"][!Redraw]  << here I thought I have to remove the asterix and replace: CurrentConfig with "Group1" ?
;Action0=[!Show *][!Redraw]

; ========= Meters ==========

[Meter]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Graph_II.png
; ImageName=#@#Images\Rainstaller_256
; Alternate "Green" Icon
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
OnUpdateAction=[#Action[#Action]]
TransformationMatrix=#Scale#;0;0;#Scale#;0;0
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterIllustroClock]
Group=Group1
Hidden=1
Meter=String
And after that I have to add: "Group=Group1" right under the IllustroClock's Rainmeter.ini:

[Rainmeter]
; This section contains general settings that can be used to change how Rainmeter behaves.
Update=1000
Background=#@#Background.png
; #@# is equal to Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=0,34,0,14
Group=Group1
to trigger the whole clock to disappear, right?

I tried it but seems I failed, and sorry to say but I am a true noob when it comes to Rainmeter. Firmly new to it and coding in general.

with kind regards,
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Not quite...

You cannot use my ShowAll/HideAll skin because that toggles ALL SKIN EXCEPT ITSELF, so any meter you add to that will still show.

Defining a skin, meter, or measure as belonging to a group does not, in and of itself, do anything; you need to use Action Bangs to affect the groups.

I would suggest looking at the simple 3-page menu I posted and play with that code to see how defined groups are acted on by different bangs: OnRefreshAction=... and LeftMouseUpAction=... in the skin.

That example hides and show meter groups.

illustro\clock Toggle

You appear to want to hide/show entire skins. So for the illustro\clock skin, add the group definition to the [Rainmeter] section of illustro\clock in a text editor and save the file.

[Rainmeter]
; This section contains general settings that can be used to change how Rainmeter behaves.
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
; 210x68
Background=#@#Background.png
; #@# is equal to Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=0,34,0,14
Group=MyToggleSkinGroup
Note that the group name can any unique name you want to use. Now create a new skin that will be used to toggle the "MyToggleSkinGroup" skin(s).

[ToggleMySkins]
Meter=String
SolidColor=100,100,100,100
Padding=8,8,8,8
FontColor=255,255,255
Text="Toggle Skins"
LeftMouseUpAction=[!ToggleGroup "MyToggleSkinGroup"]
Save this code as a new "toggleskin.ini" in a separate folder under Skins.
Refresh All in Rainmeter.
Load the "illustro\clock" skin and load "toggleskin.ini" you created.
(Note that !ToggleGroup will not activate skins, it simply toggles visibility of loaded skins in that group.)

Now when you click on the text "Toggle Skins", the illustro\clock skin will hide/show on each click. You can add other skins to your "MyToggleSkinGroup" by adding Group=MyToggleSkinGroup to the [Rainmeter] section of the skin(s) and save/refresh.

More info on Group Skin Bangs

Try this and see if you succeed...
dfghrngsdkg

Post by dfghrngsdkg »

Hello,

Thank you for the Toggle. It worked as you had described it. However, if I want to replace the whole Toggle layout with the button I run into two problems: First thing is that the button now has a huge hidden frame so I can't place it anywhere near the Desktop's border and I can't make the frame go away and secondly, when I tried the button it won't activate. How can I get the button to work?

While on it, I also like to ask you in helping me out with coding the two ideas I have in mind, because even when reading the Bang-Manual, it don't get me anywhere near a success -mainly there are no examples of how things have to inter-play in my case. For illustration purposes of my two ideas I'll go with: Illustro Clock and 1Disk.

The first idea is to load/unload (activate/deactivate) the said set of skins to bypass the Rainmeter Manager with the click of a button. Therefore I'd like to use your "MakeitRain-Left" Code. In the second Idea I want to toggle (show/hide) the same said set of skins with the use of the button. This will get me two files, one for load/unload and one to toggle.

For the first Idea I have add: Group=ActiveSet to both .ini (Clock and 1Disk). In the "MakeitRain-Left" Code I would put in:

LeftMouseUpAction=[!DeactivateConfig "illustro\Clock"][!DeactivateConfig "illustro\1Disk"]

For the second Idea I would add: "Group2=ToggleSet" to both .ini (Clock and 1Disk) and duplicate your Code with naming it: "MakeitRain-Left-II" and add the Toggle command to it.

It sound easy but since I do not full understand yet the relations of each command e.g.

LeftMouseUpAction=[!WriteKeyValue Variables Action (1-#Action#)][!SetOption Meter OnUpdateAction [#Action[#Action]]][!UpdateMeter Meter][!Redraw][!Refresh #CurrentConfig#]
and what to replace in there - if there is something to replace at all as it is also linked to the [Image] and its Action. I am confused and especially if I want to add the button function that is already there.

I also not understand the asterisk function. It is described as defining "a whole set" and when tinkering with it, e.g. removing the asterisk and/or replacing "#CurrentConfig#" with "#DeactivateConfig#" it gets me nowhere and end up broken.

That's why I like to ask you for help as right now I need to rely on other people for such "simple" tasks until I get a better understanding which -by looking at the set of my current skills- will take me eons to accomplish. Eww! but that's the way it is. I hope you understand that.

With kind regards,

PS: For convenience I'll add the said code I want to use here:

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
AccurateText=1
Group=#RootConfig#
DynamicWindowSize=1
SkinWidth=(175*#Scale#)
SkinHeight=(256*#Scale#)
OnRefreshAction=[!ZPos +2]

; Hide/Show All Skins

[Metadata]
Name=ToggleAll-Left
Author=Eclectic Tech
Information=An Icon that when you press the left mouse button will toggle hide/show all active skins.
Version=1.2019.08.08b

[Variables]
Scale=0.0625
; Scale Suggested Sizes

; DO NOT EDIT THESE
Action=0

[Meter]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Graph.png
; Alternate "Green" Icon
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
DynamicVariables=1
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

dfghrngsdkg wrote: September 16th, 2019, 1:06 pm Hello,

Thank you for the Toggle. It worked as you had described it. However, if I want to replace the whole Toggle layout with the button I run into two problems: First thing is that the button now has a huge hidden frame so I can't place it anywhere near the Desktop's border and I can't make the frame go away and secondly, when I tried the button it won't activate. How can I get the button to work?
I would need to see the code you modified to know what is causing the problems for you.

NOTE FROM LAST POST: YOU CAN NOT USE MY SKIN AS A STARTING POINT BECAUSE THAT SKIN TOGGLES ALL SKINS AND IS NEVER HIDDEN!
dfghrngsdkg wrote:While on it, I also like to ask you in helping me out with coding the two ideas I have in mind, because even when reading the Bang-Manual, it don't get me anywhere near a success -mainly there are no examples of how things have to inter-play in my case. For illustration purposes of my two ideas I'll go with: Illustro Clock and 1Disk.

The first idea is to load/unload (activate/deactivate) the said set of skins to bypass the Rainmeter Manager with the click of a button. Therefore I'd like to use your "MakeitRain-Left" Code. In the second Idea I want to toggle (show/hide) the same said set of skins with the use of the button. This will get me two files, one for load/unload and one to toggle.

For the first Idea I have add: Group=ActiveSet to both .ini (Clock and 1Disk). In the "MakeitRain-Left" Code I would put in:

LeftMouseUpAction=[!DeactivateConfig "illustro\Clock"][!DeactivateConfig "illustro\1Disk"]

For the second Idea I would add: "Group2=ToggleSet" to both .ini (Clock and 1Disk) and duplicate your Code with naming it: "MakeitRain-Left-II" and add the Toggle command to it.

It sound easy but since I do not full understand yet the relations of each command e.g.

and what to replace in there - if there is something to replace at all as it is also linked to the [Image] and its Action. I am confused and especially if I want to add the button function that is already there.

I also not understand the asterisk function. It is described as defining "a whole set" and when tinkering with it, e.g. removing the asterisk and/or replacing "#CurrentConfig#" with "#DeactivateConfig#" it gets me nowhere and end up broken.

That's why I like to ask you for help as right now I need to rely on other people for such "simple" tasks until I get a better understanding which -by looking at the set of my current skills- will take me eons to accomplish. Eww! but that's the way it is. I hope you understand that.

With kind regards,

PS: For convenience I'll add the said code I want to use here:

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
AccurateText=1
Group=#RootConfig#
DynamicWindowSize=1
SkinWidth=(175*#Scale#)
SkinHeight=(256*#Scale#)
OnRefreshAction=[!ZPos +2]

; Hide/Show All Skins

[Metadata]
Name=ToggleAll-Left
Author=Eclectic Tech
Version=1.2019.08.08b

[Variables]
Scale=0.0625
; Scale Suggested Sizes

; DO NOT EDIT THESE
Action=0

[Meter]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Graph.png
; Alternate "Green" Icon
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
DynamicVariables=1
This is my original code with nothing added!? :???:

START HERE TO CREATE A SKIN TO DO WHAT YOU DESCRIBE

Add Group=MyToggleSkinGroup to both "illistro\Clock.ini" and "illustro\1 Disk.ini" skins, in the [Rainmeter] section. Save those files.

Now starting with the code for the new "toggleskin.ini", let's add a few options: add a button to activate the configs, add a button to deactivate them, along with the existing toggle button ...

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1

[ShowSkins]
Meter=String
X=r
Y=2R
Padding=8,8,8,8
FontColor=255,255,255
Text="Show Skins"
LeftMouseUpAction=[!ActivateConfig "illustro\clock" "clock.ini"][!ActivateConfig "illustro\disk" "1 disk.ini"]

[HideMySkins]
Meter=String
X=r
Y=2R
Padding=8,8,8,8
FontColor=255,255,255
Text="Hide Skins"
LeftMouseUpAction=[!DeactivateConfigGroup "MyToggleSkinGroup"]

[ToggleMySkins]
Meter=String
X=r
Y=2R
Padding=8,8,8,8
FontColor=255,255,255
Text="Toggle Skins"

Copy this code and save as a new skin in a separate folder. Load it and you will see 3 buttons. Clicking those will take the actions you describe.
showhidetoggle.gif
You can see that the process is not complicated, when you define skins to a group and then use a skin to control all of them at once using bangs on the group name.
dfghrngsdkg

Post by dfghrngsdkg »

1. "YOU CAN NOT USE MY SKIN AS A STARTING POINT BECAUSE THAT SKIN TOGGLES ALL SKINS AND IS NEVER HIDDEN!" Yes, I did and still do understand that this code hides all skins and therefore can't be used. What I was trying to point out with your code was the button [Image] Part which I like to make use of (to embedd it into both, my "Toggle" and "Hide" files). Thats why I provided you with the file in the first place + I thought that before I sent you garbage I better to provide you with your (clean) file.

The code I use. It still includes the [Image] - your original button:

[ToggleTelemetry]
Meter=String
Padding=8,8,8,8
FontColor=255,255,255
Text="Toggle Skins"

[Variables]
Scale=0.1
; Scale Suggested Sizes

;
;VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV <<<< This button (Image) I want to use instead of the framed Text= Button above. 

; DO NOT EDIT THESE

Action=0
Action1=[!Hide *][!show "MyToggleSkinGroup"][!Redraw]

[Image]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\Rainmeter_256
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
DynamicVariables=1
If I try to replace the "Text", Frame and Color to make use of the Button its hidden frame becomes larger. It also makes the Clock reappear after hiding it. (guess it is because of the [Image] meter function that is still active.

;=====

2. "You can see that the process is not complicated, when you define skins to a group and then use a skin to control all of them at once using bangs on the group name."

True, it isn't that complicated to add the "Group=" stuff to the Clock and Disk1 since your provided me with Intel on this matter and of course the [ToggleSkin] Code. I also figured that I wasn't wrong at all in choosing the right !Bang ... Yay!LuckyMe! But what I get confused with the most is a) what !Bang I shall chose, b) when I have to add it and c) in which order, to get it done. I also noticed you added "[ ........ "clock.ini"]" to the !Bang which I wasn't aware off because this (such things) I do not know.

Like I said, all I want to achieve is to use your original Raindrop-Button option for each separate file (the "ToggleMySkin.ini" and the "Show/Hide.ini) because its neat and resize-able. Hope I could make it a bit more clear.

With kind regards,

Edit: This Tripple Text-Button principle is actually a nice thing. I'll keep it for later on if I know for what purpose I'd like to use it. First I want to focus on making the Raindrop-Button work - with your help of course. :oops: