It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:35 am

Dim-W.I.T ::: Wallpaper Dimming Skin

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Dim-W.I.T ::: Wallpaper Dimming Skin

Post by eclectic-tech »

Made some changes to my screen dimming skins... [now version 3]
Download from my DA Site: https://www.deviantart.com/eclectic-tech/art/Dim-W-I-T-Wallpaper-Dimming-Tool-482581090
Dim-WIT :: Version 2

A DIM-ming W-allpaper I-mage T-ool; named: Dim-WIT ;)

There are 5 skin variations:
:: DIM-WIT-24HrCycle.ini will change the shade level automatically based on the time of day or night
:: DIM-WIT-Dimmer.ini dims your wallpaper by your preferred level
:: DIM-WIT ManualRiseSet.ini allows you to set the brighten/darken times and the duration of the transition in minutes
:: DIM-WIT-SunRiseSet.ini set the brighten/darken times to sunrise/sunset and allows setting the duration of the transition
:: DIM-WIT-Test.ini runs through the available shade levels to show the effect on your wallpaper

This skin that allows dimming the current wallpaper either manually or incrementally based on the time of day; there are options for automatic 15, 30, or 60 minute dimming intervals. The time incremented dimming is darkest at midnight, and zero at noon.

The skin is set to the "On Desktop" position and set to "click-through"; this way it is below all other skins and allows access to desktop items.

ACCESSING THE SKIN CONTEXT MENU
Because the skin is set to Click-Through, You need to use different actions to access it's features. You can always access the skin context settings via a right-click on the Rainmeter Tray Icon, then scrolling to the Dim-WIT entry options.

ACCESSING THE SKIN CONTROLS
To access the skin options, you need to HOLD DOWN THE "Ctrl" KEY, then move the mouse to the CENTER_LEFT SCREEN EDGE and the settings meter will appear. CONTINUE TO HOLD DOWN THE "Ctrl" KEY and click(or scroll the mouse wheel) to change the setting. At this point, you can also right-click to see the skin context menu. Release the "Ctrl" button, or move the mouse away from the meter when done, to hide it.

MANUAL DIMMING
To adjust the manual dimming, HOLD DOWN THE "Ctrl" KEY and scan to the CENTER_LEFT SCREEN EDGE with your mouse; the adjustment meter will appear. CONTINUE TO HOLD DOWN THE "Ctrl" KEY and scroll the mouse wheel (or click) to change the dimming effect to the desired level. The meter will step through the 50 levels. Moving the mouse away from the meter, or releasing the "Ctrl" key, will hide it again. The value is written to an external file, so the desired level of dimming will remain during any Refresh, or Re-load.

AUTOMATIC DIMMING
To adjust the automatic dimming by time, HOLD DOWN THE "Ctrl" KEY and scan to the CENTER_LEFT SCREEN EDGE with your mouse; the adjustment meter will appear. CONTINUE TO HOLD DOWN THE "Ctrl" KEY and scroll the mouse wheel (or click) to change the dimming time interval. The meter will step through the 3 time change options. Moving the mouse away from the meter, or releasing the "Ctrl" key, will hide it again.

ON-LOAD HELP MESSAGE
A message explaining access will appear the first time the skin is loaded.To see this message again, you must Unload and Re-load the skin.

USING TRANSPARENCY SETTING
You can use the built-in transparency settings to limit the amount of dimming the skin does. Access this through the skin's Context menu.

SKIN LAYERING (Known ISSUE)
If another skin refreshes (RSS skins especially), it is possible that it will appear UNDER the dimming effect (darker than normal)... there is no way to prevent or detect that this has happened, but the solution is simple. Refresh the Dim-WIT skin either through the context menu, or by HOLDING DOWN THE 'Ctrl' KEY and Middle-click the mouse on any empty desktop area.

DEFAULT SETTINGS
Position = Bottom
Transparency = 0% (You can use this settings to decrease the default dimming)
Hide on mouse over = Not Checked
Draggable = Checked
Save position = Checked
Snap to edges = Checked
Click through = Checked
Keep on screen = Checked

FURTHER IDEAS
Thinking of adding an alarm function to flash dimming on/off when time is reached...

@Creative Commons Non-Commercial Share-Alike License
Eclectic-Tech.DeviantArt.com
Last edited by eclectic-tech on September 20th, 2014, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mordasius

Re: Dim-W.I.T ::: Wallpaper Dimming Skin

Post by Mordasius »

How about incorporating the sunrise / sunset times to give a more accurate change from day to night and back? Just a thought.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Mordasius wrote:How about incorporating the sunrise / sunset times to give a more accurate change from day to night and back? Just a thought.
Good idea! I will look into that... Already changed a few things (meter order and stopping the runonce measure). :)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Mordasius wrote:How about incorporating the sunrise / sunset times to give a more accurate change from day to night and back? Just a thought.
Added a skin to change based on sunrise/sunset from data parsed at http://www.weather.com (uses 'location' and temperature 'unit' variables) found in the @Resources\UserVariables.inc, It is also possible to set the duration of the transition (2 minutes is minimum transition time) 20-30 minutes mimics reality.

Added a skin to allow manually setting the brighten(Rise) and darken(set) times, and set the duration of the transition (again, 2 minutes is minimum transition time)..

There are 5 skin variations:
:: DIM-WIT-24HrCycle.ini will change the shade level automatically based on the time of day or night
:: DIM-WIT-Dimmer.ini dims your wallpaper by your preferred level
:: DIM-WIT ManualRiseSet.ini allows you to set the brighten/darken times and the duration of the transition in minutes
:: DIM-WIT-SunRiseSet.ini set the brighten/darken times to sunrise/sunset and allows setting the duration of the transition
:: DIM-WIT-Test.ini runs through the available shade levels to show the effect on your wallpaper
Dim-WIT3.jpg
DeviantArt link in first post points to latest version...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eclectic-tech on March 23rd, 2017, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Dim-WIT Updated!

A suite of 5, completely 'Invisible', [Ctrl] controlled, skins that can dim/brighten your wallpaper at manually set times, via sunrise/sunset time data, in a 24-hour cycle, or to 1 level with optional gentle alarm sound on time skins. Plus a 'Test' skin (6 skins total).

UPDATES:
  • Added a sunrise/sunset version for Yahoo (now you can use either Weather.com or Yahoo.com data)
    Added configuration skins to set brightening/dimming times and transition times
    Added backgrounds to text for better display on busy wallpapers
    Added ability to play a gentle alarm sound on Rise/Set skins when time is reached
    Re-wrote the descriptions
    ** Removed the need to hold down the 'Ctrl' key after initial access
* Special "Thanks!" to moshi & jsmorley for their help with RegExpSubstitute! *
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Always tweaking... (some habits are good!) ;-)

Made modifications to the sound control.
Added a "configureallskin"
Corrected 24HrCycle (did not dynamically apply dimming)
Changed logic for 24HrCycle image selection when timing changed.

Updated version 3.01.07.2015 is available from the link in the first post
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Version 3.2016.09.10

Updated versions that pulled sunrise/sunset times from weather. com and Yahoo weather

(It will work until those sites change something else :x )

Download Link on DA in first post updated...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

eclectic-tech wrote:...
(It will work until those sites change something else :x )...
You, lazybones, what would you do without their changes... ;-) :lol:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

fonpaolo wrote:You, lazybones, what would you do without their changes... ;-) :lol:
Hmm... YOU ARE RIGHT! :rolmfao:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

dvo wrote:you picked a good name for it dimwit :)
It turned into a bit more than a simple screen dimmer, so the name became more descriptive... :D
I figured a few people would probably say it suits: an invisible skin that does nothing most of the time, or the nature of the author! :p :D