It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:50 am

Glowing Dots Screensaver

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Glowing Dots Screensaver

Post by balala »

A while ago I read about the SysInfo plugin and its IDLE_TIME option and I got the idea to create a skin similar with a "screensaver". I always was a fan of a good screensaver. So, here's the result of this work.
In the development of this skin I was helped by Chevinster. Thanks!
After loading of the skin you can access a settings panel moving the mouse in the upper left corner of the screen.
Comments are welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by balala on January 13th, 2015, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drakulaboy

Re: Glowing Dots Screensaver

Post by drakulaboy »

when i try to run the skin

Last edited by Brian on January 9th, 2015, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use [hsimg] for larger images.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

It seems that in your case [MeasureRandDot1Color], [MeasureRandDot1Color], ..., [MeasureRandDot12Color] returns always 0. The first eight should return a random value between 1 and 8 and the other four between 1 and 4. The image of the dots are Dot1.png, Dot2.png, ..., Dot8.png (the moving dots) and Dot1P.png, ..., Dot4P.png (the fixed dots). Like these measures would be disabled.
I have no idea what could cause this. Please upload the code of the skin to can check, but I assume you didn't modify it. Have anybody else gave it a try? If so, how it works?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The screensaver works as expected, but I do get a bunch of the same error in the log. I think it is caused by the very first update of the meters taking place when some measure values are still "0". I suspect that after the first update, all is well.
drakulaboy

Post by drakulaboy »

i did not change anything, only installed and trying to run it, sometimes i get that control in left up corner
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote:It seems that in your case [MeasureRandDot1Color], [MeasureRandDot1Color], ..., [MeasureRandDot12Color] returns always 0. The first eight should return a random value between 1 and 8 and the other four between 1 and 4. The image of the dots are Dot1.png, Dot2.png, ..., Dot8.png (the moving dots) and Dot1P.png, ..., Dot4P.png (the fixed dots). Like these measures would be disabled.
I have no idea what could cause this. Please upload the code of the skin to can check, but I assume you didn't modify it. Have anybody else gave it a try? If so, how it works?
The 'settings.inc' file is not in the skin folder anywhere...
I get the same log messages as drakulaboy...
drakulaboy

Post by drakulaboy »

was about to say that settings.inc is not in skin dir. Have copyed Dot1 and Dot1P , renamed to Dot0 and Dot0P, now in Log is only Unable to read settings.inc
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:The screensaver works as expected, but I do get a bunch of the same error in the log. I think it is caused by the very first update of the meters taking place when some measure values are still "0". I suspect that after the first update, all is well.
Yes jsmorley, indeed that's the explonation. I never checked it before, but now I see that I get the same errors, but only when the skin is loaded. Never later. So, my question is that if when the skin is loaded, this measure:

Code: Select all

[MeasureRandDot1Color]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Random
LowBound=1
HighBound=8
UpdateRandom=1
UniqueRandom=1
returns 0 for the first time. That's how it looks like. After an update period, the returned values become as are expected (between 1 and 8 - on first eight measures and 1 and 4 - on last four) and didn't get any more errors.
eclectic-tech wrote:The 'settings.inc' file is not in the skin folder anywhere...
I get the same log messages as drakulaboy...
This indeed is my fault. Initily I wanted to use a Settings.inc file to store the value of some variables. Later I resigned it, but forgot to delete the @Include=settings.inc line from there. Sorry, but this don't give any trouble at all.
So, the question is how could be avoided the initial situation, when those measures should return a greater value then 0, but they don't.
Or the simplest solution would be to include a Dot0.png and a Dot0P.png to avoid that errors?
drakulaboy

Post by drakulaboy »

still don't see anything on desktop, no lines, dots, wallpaper after deleting settings.inc line
is that suppose to change quick? MeasureSetWallpaper

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

drakulaboy wrote:still don't see anything on desktop, no lines, dots, wallpaper after deleting settings.inc line
is that suppose to change quick? MeasureSetWallpaper

The skin has set the Update=100, so it is updated 10 times per second. To see anything you have to wait without any interaction with your computer (without keypress or mouse movement) at least #Wait# seconds. To verify the settings, move your mouse in the upper left corner of the screen and you'll see a settings panel. There you'll have a numerical value. That's the number of seconds you have to wait befor the dots become visible (it should work as a screensaver: if you don't work with the computer after a while the screensaver srtarts. Until then, you see nothing). Also, you can set this time on that settings panel.