Post by eclectic-tech »

SKIN ALIGNMENT ASSISTANCE GRIDS

This is a collaboration of:
* An idea by Ivan
* A solution provided by Balala
* And expansion by suggestions from Ivan, Balala, & Eclectic Tech
* Coding by Eclectic Tech & Balala

- DESCRIPTION -
Alignment Grid was created to help you position multiple skins symmetrically on the screen.

Four modes are provided:
Pixel - H/V grid spaced in pixels
CM - H/V grid spaced in centimeters
IN - H/V grid spaced in inches
Circle - Concentric circles spaced in pixels

Three Horizontal/Vertical grid patterns measured in either Pixels, Centimeters, or Inches
And a Circular grid pattern measured in pixels.

Aligning vertically or horizontally is fairly easy, but this tool will allow more precision relative positioning and spacing.
AG-Pixel.png
The Circle mode is especially useful for arched alignment along a curve.
The grids provide center lines (in a different color) and additional 45 degree diagonals in Circle mode.
AG-Circle.png
- CONTROLS -

- Mode Selection
Left-click the current mode to step through the 4 available patterns.
The current dimensions are displayed below the mode.
The pixel dimensions will be remembered; however, they are converted to centimeters or inches, in those modes.
AG-CM.png
- Spacing
Scroll up/down over top ruler to change the horizontal spacing.
Scroll up/down over left ruler to change the vertical spacing.
Right-click either ruler for a quick spacing menu.
AG-IN.png
- Dimming
Hold the left mouse button down on either ruler to dim the pattern.
Release to restore.
Hold and move away to maintain a dimmed pattern.
Left-click either ruler to restore.
AG-Dim.png
- ADDENDUM -
These example images don't have any background for better pattern visibility.
You can use the grids with/without a wallpaper to align skins to an image.
You can access the normal skin context menu by right-clicking the mode button.
ToolTips can be turned off by editing the [Rainmeter] section; Set ToolTipHidden=1
AG-Wall.png
If you have any issues, questions, or suggestions, post them here.
Eclectic Tech / Balala / Ivan

EDIT: (02/02/2015a) Updated to include a fifth grid pattern ASPECT show lines to a select-able vanishing point.
AG-Aspect.png
This requires Rainmeter 3.2.0 beta r2357 for the Aspect grid function; available at http://rainmeter.net/.

Also added !KeepOnScreen=0 to prevent odd behavior on multiple monitor setups. Thanks to JSMorley for the tip!

EDIT: Feb 3, 2015 - Added some features to Aspect grid:
* Position indicators on rulers
* Expandable vanishing plane
* Lines drawn to respective portions of vanishing plane

Also disable dragging, so grids remain at 0,0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eclectic-tech on February 4th, 2015, 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaz28100

Re: Alignment Grids

Post by Kaz28100 »

Thank , it's very usefull :bow:
drakulaboy

Post by drakulaboy »

Great, now it will be more comfortable to allign the skins
Stan

Post by Stan »

Excellent idea and execution, alignment just got a whole lot easier... Thank you :thumbup:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Thanks for the comments!

I was already considering a fifth grid pattern (perspective to a select-able vanishing point) and with the latest Rainmeter release (it adding ATAN2 funtionality), it seemed like a good time to look at adding that grid.

So I am releasing an updated version (1.02.02.2015a) that includes the 5 grid patterns and corrects the typo in the mode meters.

Aspect View:
(Double-click top ruler to set X co-ordinate | Double-click left ruler to set Y co-ordinate)
AG-Aspect.png
Requires Rainmeter 3.2.0 beta r2357

First post updated to latest version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eclectic-tech on February 2nd, 2015, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It might be worth advising folks that if they have multiple monitors, they should turn off "Keep on screen" in the skin Settings. If they don't, it will act pretty weird in some cases. In order for the math to create the effects you want, some of the grids/circles etc are actually wider than the primary monitor. The "remainder" will flow over to a second monitor if you have one, (or just be invisible if you don't) but in a couple of cases some combination of "Keep on screen" and "Snap to edges" can cause the entire thing to "jump" to the second monitor.

Another option would be to have a bang in the skin:

[Rainmeter]
OnRefreshAction=[!KeepOnScreen "0"]
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote:It might be worth advising folks that if they have multiple monitors, they should turn off "Keep on screen" in the skin Settings. If they don't, it will act pretty weird in some cases. In order for the math to create the effects you want, some of the grids/circles etc are actually wider than the primary monitor. The "remainder" will flow over to a second monitor if you have one, (or just be invisible if you don't) but in a couple of cases some combination of "Keep on screen" and "Snap to edges" can cause the entire thing to "jump" to the second monitor.

Another option would be to have a bang in the skin:

[Rainmeter]
OnRefreshAction=[!KeepOnScreen "0"]
Thanks, I will make that change.

That was one of my concerns, but I could only guess at the effects on various setups...

I really appreciate (and value) your advice!

Aside: I was going to leave both versions available; the initial does not require r2357 to work. Do you think that is worth it, or is it going to confuse readers?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

That's your call.

I think that has the risk of creating a "support" confusion issue. Now to answer questions you have to know what version of the skin they have, and your answer may need to be different depending. That means that someone "reading" the answer might be given bad information.

I personally would not want to release, maintain or answer questions about two versions. I would just say "Requires the latest beta 3.2 r2367 or later of Rainmeter from http://rainmeter.net". I also like to "encourage" folks to stay current with Rainmeter, but I try not to be a jerk about it. If my skin only requires the latest "release", I set the .rmskin for that. If I use a new feature, I set it accordingly. What I don't do is have "two" versions, or limit the functionality in a skin I put out until the features I use make it into a "release" of Rainmeter.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote:That's your call.

I think that has the risk of creating a "support" confusion issue. Now to answer questions you have to know what version of the skin they have, and your answer may need to be different depending. That means that someone "reading" the answer might be given bad information.

I personally would not want to release, maintain or answer questions about two versions. I would just say "Requires the latest beta 3.2 r2367 or later of Rainmeter from http://rainmeter.net". I also like to "encourage" folks to stay current with Rainmeter, but I try not to be a jerk about it. If my skin only requires the latest "release", I set the .rmskin for that. If I use a new feature, I set it accordingly. What I don't do is have "two" versions, or limit the functionality in a skin I put out until the features I use make it into a "release" of Rainmeter.
Done & done!

JamesSF69

Post by JamesSF69 »

You Wizards and Alchemists amaze me LOL

Great job, takes a bit out of the guess work in creating skins. I always "Think" I know what distance I want til I refresh and scratch my head.

Thanks!

James