It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:33 am

simple, yet clean RSS reader with Umlauts and "clickability"

RSS, ATOM and other feeds, GMail, Stocks, any information retrieved from the internet
peat-ar

simple, yet clean RSS reader with Umlauts and "clickability"

Post by peat-ar »

I guess there are already thousands of variations of RSS readers that work perfectly, but as I had quite a hard time finding one that met the following requirements, I thought I'd just post it right there.
The requirements were the following:
  1. support of Umlauts (I personally don't like those ugly "?" everywhere in my feeds)
  2. simplicity pertaining design (no flamboyant background images) as well as usability (no "central options" that limit the amount of feed instances)
  3. Links to the single feeds
  4. "clickability". What I mean is rainmeter's characteristic that if you wanna click a text, you need to hit it exactly (if your cursor is in the "o" for example, nothing happens, what is quite annoying, as I don't want to need 3 attempts to click a link)
As I'm not a gifted "googler" I ended up combining several readers (I hardly did anything myself as I'm new to rainmeter)
I chose the illustro's rss reader as a template, as it supports Umlauts (this was the only reader capable of this, I guess because of this line:

Code: Select all

Url=http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/#feedURL#?n=8
What I realized with joy was the reader's capability of providing links to the single feeds, its simplicity (except the background image) and in particular its "clickability", which was the result of it's background - the problem: as it should be simple, clean and adaptable to any sort of design, I didn't want a background. First I tried to replace it with a 0%alpha picture, but apparently rainmeter ignores this. That's why I opted for the following solution:

Code: Select all

[meterBackground]
Meter=IMAGE
SolidColor=255,255,255,1
W=200
H=200
X=R
Y=R
It draws an invisible (alpha: 1 out of 255(?)) rectangle over(/under) the whole rss reader. Besides it should be more resource-saving than loading an image ;)
I'd be glad if anybody could explain to me why this is working, as the background doesn't have any "eventListeners" or whatever you call it in rainmeter's language.

Hopefully this will help somebody

PS: The trick with the SolidColor-background may be used for other "gadgets" as well (Enigma's launchers, for instance)
Download
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My introduction
My desktop: DeviantART: peat-ar
alfaflo

Re: simple, yet clean RSS reader with Umlauts and "clickabil

Post by alfaflo »

Hallo,

as Google has killed it's RSS reader, youre nice script doesn't work anymore. :-(
As it was realy good and exactly what I'was searching for, I want to ask you if you have any idea to addapt this to an alternative version without the need of Googles reader?

Thank you in advance!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: simple, yet clean RSS reader with Umlauts and "clickabil

Post by eclectic-tech »

alfaflo wrote:Hallo,

as Google has killed it's RSS reader, youre nice script doesn't work anymore. :-(
As it was realy good and exactly what I'was searching for, I want to ask you if you have any idea to addapt this to an alternative version without the need of Googles reader?

Thank you in advance!
Please don't "grave-dig" 2 year old posts... this member has not logged into the forum since Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:13 pm (also 2 years ago). So the odds of getting a reply are pretty much "Non-Existent".

I would recommend looking at Moshi's UniNews reader, your only other option would be to edit the above skin...