It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:39 am

Rainmeter reference?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
mysts

Rainmeter reference?

Post by mysts »

Is there anywhere a complete reference for all the skin scripts/coding?
The "Getting Started" is pretty good but it doesn't go very far. I have seen a lot of coding in other peoples ini files and have no idea what it means.
Charlatan

Re: Rainmeter reference?

Post by Charlatan »

The documentation here in rainmeter.net is fairly comprehensive:

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, there really is no "cookbook" for Rainmeter, as the one thing we universally hate is any kind of "cookie cutter" approach to skins.

The many, many measures, meters, options, actions, bangs and plugins are well documented in the manual, and going through that item by item, not so much to memorize everything, but to get a sense of what is possible and where things can be found, is not a bad idea.

Scan though the entire manual and Tips & Tricks quickly, only stopping longer on a feature or function you don't quite understand at first. Look at the examples we provide for the measures, meters and plugins.

Starting with the illustro skins that come with Rainmeter is a good place to begin learning to change a skin to do and look as YOU want. Those skins are purposefully reasonably simple, to make them easy to understand for a new skin author.

Tear apart the illustro skins and other author's skins from deviantART or here on the forums. Change them to do something different. Change the cosmetics. Search the manual and keep it open while you do something new. Ask questions here if you get stuck on how to approach something specific. Folks here won't do it for you, but they are glad to help you do it yourself. It's a good community.

It won't take long, and you will be one of the experts offering advice here.
Grim

Post by Grim »

jsmorley wrote:Folks here won't do it for you, but they are glad to help you do it yourself. It's a good community.
Such an amazing community. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the folks here ROCK!

Just a fair warning for the OP, Rainmeter skinning is like a can of Pringles. "Once you pop, you can't stop!" I'm constantly tinkering with my skins trying this, adding that. Seeing something somewhere and going... O.O "Nice!" ...I want that on my skin. Then hours later...

:rolmfao:
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Grim wrote:...
Just a fair warning for the OP, Rainmeter skinning is like a can of Pringles. "Once you pop, you can't stop!" I'm constantly tinkering with my skins trying this, adding that. Seeing something somewhere and going... O.O "Nice!" ...I want that on my skin. Then hours later...

:rolmfao:
That's what normally happens.
...the problem may become evident when you think at Rainmeter while you're on the road or when you're looking at something, trying to setup a measure, a meter or a command with a Bang. ;-) :sly:
mysts

Post by mysts »

Thanks for your comments guys. I agree with all of you. It will simply take time. The reason for my post was I was looking for a way to play a video(mpg) but could not find how to do it in the manual.
mysts

Post by mysts »

Can someone please show me how to play a video(mpg). If I can get this going I think that I can then leap forward on my own :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mysts wrote:Can someone please show me how to play a video(mpg). If I can get this going I think that I can then leap forward on my own :)
SpeedLimit.jpg
You really can't... Not inside of Rainmeter in any case. You can have a skin that launches a .mpg file in your default (or defined) video player application, but you can't just play the file in a skin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote:... You can have a skin that launches a .mpg file in your default (or defined) video player application, but you can't just play the file in a skin.
Something like this:

Code: Select all

[MeterString]
Meter=String
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
Padding=2,2,2,2
Text=PLAY
AntiAlias=1
LeftMouseUpAction=["yourmovie.mpg"]
This will display the word "PLAY" on your desktop, when you click on the word "PLAY", your default mpg player will open and play "yourmovie.mpg"... if you have associated .mpg file types with a player application.
mysts

Post by mysts »

to eclectic-tech

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I can proceed forward with gigantic strides :D