It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:19 pm

hotmail notifier

General topics related to Rainmeter.
weedman

hotmail notifier

Post by weedman »

I have seen a lot of gmail, yahoo configs that notify the user when they recieve a new email. I was wondering if there is a config for hotmail emails?

If there is not, is there any other program that will offer this?

thanks
sgtevmckay

Re: hotmail notifier

Post by sgtevmckay »

MSN recently encrypted their mail client and decided not to allow certain traits that Google and Yahoo have (Certain back doors intentional or otherwise).
I have spoken to the Folks at MSDN recently, and they advise that an API branch is being considered, but there is no API structure at this time for public use.

BUT!, They have directed me to the following:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.live.messenger.mailbox_properties.aspx

I do not know what type of trouble would go into making a skin surrounding this Information, or even if it would be possible.

At the moment it is the best I can do.

My apologies, I have had a relapse in my illness and am mostly unavailable for several hours at a time :(

A few of our members may take a look and see if anything can be derived :?
weedman

Post by weedman »

Thanks for the help, im no expert but ill have a play around and see what i can come up with
t
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

Why not butcher the MSN-klient (or any other open source like, emesene or Pidgin) and see how they get the info that you got a mail and use that in a .dll or something?
The annoying part is that you need a new .dll, but that could be integrated with some other .dll perhaps?
weedman

Post by weedman »

im using miranda atm. It has a feature where you can run an application when a new hotmail arrives. Would this help in anyway at all?
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Chewtoy wrote:Why not butcher the MSN-klient (or any other open source like, emesene or Pidgin) and see how they get the info that you got a mail and use that in a .dll or something?
The annoying part is that you need a new .dll, but that could be integrated with some other .dll perhaps?
I have to agree with this, but a dll that addresses all e-mails with these issues would be great. Most e-mail have a configurable back door, but the old e-mail DLL has been abandoned and does not work with encrypted pages.

Let me think on this and I will get back with a posting in the next few days
Matt.davey

Post by Matt.davey »

There's a registry entry for unread mail items (I think - twas something that came up with MAPI research), but you're still looking at a new plugin for accessing hotmail I think, unless you're one of the lucky people to have free pop3 access to Live Mail (see below). If so, you could use MailMeter, no?
•POP (incoming) server: pop3.live.com
•POP port: 995
•POP SSL required: yes
•POP user name: your complete Windows Live Hotmail address (including "@hotmail.com", "@live.com", etc.)
•POP password: your Windows Live Hotmail password

•SMTP (outgoing) server: smtp.live.com
•SMTP port: 25
•If you run into problems sending mail, try "587" for the SMTP port instead.
•SMTP SSL required: yes
•SMTP authentication: yes
•SMTP user name: your full Windows Live Hotmail email address
•SMTP password: your Windows Live Hotmail password
Note that free POP access is currently available to users in

•Australia
•Brazil
•Canada
•France
•Germany
•Italy
•Japan