It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:51 pm

Making skins work for Windows 8.1 (launcher&temperature)

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Dorianblue

Making skins work for Windows 8.1 (launcher&temperature)

Post by Dorianblue »

I've recently downloaded some skins that, as far as I can tell by comments, work perfectly on windows 7, so I'm guessing my issues are because I have windows 8.1. I've tried looking to see if their are any code used differently when making skins for 8.1 instead of 7 but either I can't find anything or I'm missing it.

Specifically, I'm having issues with the launcher and temperature gauge.

Launcher:
Links to stuff like my documents etc are working fine. Links to programs don't seem to be working. When I click on them, it just does nothing.

(I have steam twice because I was testing with the quote marks to see if it made a difference)

EDIT: Like a prat, I changed the existing chrome link to my system and thought that was enough testing of other programs when it didn't work, but I just tested with the Gimp and that worked. So chrome and steam aren't launching. So maybe it isn't windows 8?

Temperature gauge (may not be a code issue, not sure):
The skin is supposed to work with coretemp, but the version linked to did not install for some reason. I downloaded it instead from the windows store, that version installed fine but doesn't seem to be working with the skin.

Thanks in advance for any help.
killall-q

Re: Making skins work for Windows 8.1 (launcher&temperature)

Post by killall-q »

User-customizeable paths should always be surrounded by quotes to avert your situation. If the author was any good he would have made the actual meter:

Code: Select all

[MeterApp1]
LeftMouseUpAction=["#App1Path#"]
thereby negating the need for quotes in the variable.

The Windows store version of CoreTemp may be a metro app (I don't know). Metro apps have pretty strict security restrictions so I doubt any other program would be able to read data from it.