It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:32 am

Skin: Neon Space Rainmeter 2014 1.0

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
noitguy

Skin: Neon Space Rainmeter 2014 1.0

Post by noitguy »

This might be a generall question but as my it knowlege in generall is very limited it may be not.

I use the skin Neon Space Rainmeter 2014 1.0

My question now is how can i change the links behind severall "button"

Lets say the Large Luncher? The Path right now is for example "Link3=%ProgramFiles%\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" i want it to open a certain .exe data with the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hearthstone\Hearthstone Beta Launcher.exe"
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Skin: Neon Space Rainmeter 2014 1.0

Post by jsmorley »

noitguy wrote:This might be a generall question but as my it knowlege in generall is very limited it may be not.

I use the skin Neon Space Rainmeter 2014 1.0

My question now is how can i change the links behind severall "button"

Lets say the Large Luncher? The Path right now is for example "Link3=%ProgramFiles%\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" i want it to open a certain .exe data with the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hearthstone\Hearthstone Beta Launcher.exe"
Seems to me you have sorta answered your own question... ;-)

Code: Select all

Link3=C:\Program Files (x86)\Hearthstone\Hearthstone Beta Launcher.exe
or if you prefer to use the environment variable:

Code: Select all

Link3=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Hearthstone\Hearthstone Beta Launcher.exe
noitguy

Post by noitguy »

Well as i said my dear sir i am not rly good at this computer thing ;)

On topic, I did use the second one
Link3=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Hearthstone\Hearthstone Beta Launcher.exe
and to my surprise it did work =)

Unfortunually trying to copy that for the other 4 "button" did not work ^^ but i dont just wanna post my "wronk" links and get someone to tell me the right one i would actually like to learn something.

So my first question is does the partition matter? For my last link it was on C this time it is on D, as the partition is not included in the link and another thing that might be a problem is that there are 2 "things" in that folder that have the same name one is the symbol the other one the application.

Thanks in advance :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

What you need is the full "path" to the application you want to run. That might be C:\Program Files\MyApplication\MyApplication.exe or D:\MyApplication\MyApplication.exe or whatever. Certainly the drive or partition letter (C: D:, etc) are an important part of the "path" to the executable.

The easiest way to get this path is to find the .exe executable in Windows Explorer, hold down Shift and right-click the file. In the context menu that pops up, will be a choice "Copy as path". Selecting that will put the full path and name of the file in your Windows clipboard so you can paste it into a skin with Ctrl-V.
2.jpg
If you have what looks like two of the same application name in a folder, one of them may be a Windows "shortcut", which is a small file that ends with the extension .lnk, or it might be a .dll or .ico or other file type that has the same "name", but a different extension. In almost all cases it will make the most sense to run the .exe executable.

You really should change the default in Windows so you can "see" the extensions for files. That is going to make doing stuff like this easier, and in any case setting that default to hide extensions in Windows is about the dumbest idea they ever had. They would like to "pretend" that extensions don't matter anymore, but they still do. These are the same guys who decided "Metro" was the right user interface for a desktop computer, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Like with "Metro", they have backtracked and changed it in recent Windows 8.1 versions so it doesn't hide ".exe" by default anymore, but still hides other extensions that it can be important to know.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:The easiest way to get this path is to find the .exe executable in Windows Explorer, hold down Shift and right-click the file. In the context menu that pops up, will be a choice "Copy as path". Selecting that will put the full path and name of the file in your Windows clipboard so you can paste it into a skin with Ctrl-V.
Jsmorley, thank you for sharing the shift and right-click possibility in Windows Explorer to copy the path of a file. Until now I had no idea about this, but I think it'll ease many thinks for me. It seams that's always something to learn. Thank you!
I know that it has nothing to do with this thread, but I'm happy that I've learned it.