View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 6:20 am



Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Facebook RSS doesn't work properly. 
Author Message

Joined: January 6th, 2011, 3:25 am
Posts: 4
Post Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.
January 6th, 2011, 4:02 am
First please don't ask for screenshots. I don't understand why someone needs a screen shot of something that only the text matters. Anyhow, my problem is with Facebook RSS/web feed for Rainmeter properly working.

This is what it does RIGHT:
    Displays properly on desktop skin.
    Automatically updates as I receive notifications.
    Displays 5 notifications.
    Click-able links.
    Link goes to Facebook.

This is what it does WRONG:
    When any link is clicked, Facebook displays:
    Quote:
    The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

What I have TRIED:
    Restarting Rainmeter.
    Installing a Chrome extension for RSS feeds.
    Using different skins.
    Using different browsers.
    Copying the RSS feed link multiple times.
    Clicking it while logged in and logged out.

Note/P.S.:
    I use Google Chrome as DEFAULT browser.
    This happens in every Rainmeter skin/theme.
    I am running Windows Vista (not that I think this matters).
    I followed the instructions given with Rainmeter correctly.

Profile

Joined: October 20th, 2010, 6:22 pm
Posts: 25
Post Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.
January 7th, 2011, 1:19 am
If you take the link that is getting you that error and copy paste it in IE. Do you get the same message? Maybe you are not supposed to be accessing these links that way if so? Just thought id throw that in. =p

Profile

Moderator

User avatar

Joined: January 29th, 2010, 1:43 am
Posts: 2029
Location: Willmar, MN
Post Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.
January 7th, 2011, 1:55 am
While following the instructions here, I have no problem putting the RSS feed through the regular enigma reader.

Profile WWW

Joined: January 6th, 2011, 3:25 am
Posts: 4
Post Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.
January 7th, 2011, 3:57 am
First, thanks for replying.

MarwanBaki wrote:
If you take the link that is getting you that error and copy paste it in IE. Do you get the same message? Maybe you are not supposed to be accessing these links that way if so? Just thought id throw that in. =p

Like i said in the notes. I've tried multiple browsers (IE, FF, Google Chrome).

smurfier wrote:
While following the instructions here, I have no problem putting the RSS feed through the regular enigma reader.

Aren't these the same instructions that Rainmeter comes with?
I just want the Notifications, nothing else and I've followed the tutorial and nothing.

Update: Now only certain links work...

Profile

Joined: January 11th, 2011, 11:44 pm
Posts: 2
Post Re: Facebook RSS doesn't work properly.
January 12th, 2011, 12:06 am
Gnometer Facebook RSS feed right ?

Just a guess, does your feed link looks like http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?amp;story_fbid=xxxxxxxxx&id=xxxxxxxx&aref=xxxxxxxxx ? when you click on a feed link ?

If that is the case, notice the " amp;" (in bold).If you remove them so it looks like
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=xxxxxxxxxx&id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in your adress bar, it then works. It's because there is no Substitute applied to the link in the ini file. Right click on the facebook feed skin, go to Edit skin... and then

1) Look for the [Variables] section. At the end of it, add this :
SUBST="&#60;":"<","&#62;":">","&#38;":"&","&#34;":"","&#39;":"'","&lt;":"<

","&gt;":">","&apos;":"'","&quot;":"","&amp;":"&","&amp;":"&","<![CDATA

[":"","]]>":""
so your [Variables] section shoud look like this :
[Variables]
skin.Style=Horizontal
GET=(?(?=.*<item>).*<item>.*<title>(.*)</.*<link>(.*)</)
@Include=#ROOTCONFIGPATH#SETTINGS\Variables.inc
width.Skin=#width.Feeds#
SUBST="&#60;":"<","&#62;":">","&#38;":"&","&#34;":"","&#39;":"'","&lt;":"<

","&gt;":">","&apos;":"'","&quot;":"","&amp;":"&","&amp;":"&","<![CDATA

[":"","]]>":""


2) Go to [mItem1] and add :
Substitute=#SUBST#
at the end of it. Should look like this:
[mItem1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
Url=[mFacebook]
DecodeCharacterReference=1
StringIndex=1
Substitute=#SUBST#


3) Do the same for [mLink1]

4) Repeat Steps 2) and 3) for every other [mItem] and [mLink] you see.

It should work. Well at least It did for me, as I had the same issue .

Hope that helps

Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.