It is currently May 4th, 2024, 7:03 am

RSS Feeds - Google Reader

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
quest_que_ce

RSS Feeds - Google Reader

Post by quest_que_ce »

Hi all,

First post here so please be nice :)

I have been using rainmeter for a couple of years now but just decided to start using RSS feeds. In Enigma I know how to add an RSS feed directly from a source through the Enigma preferences tool. However, even through this tool I cannot figure otu how to get the RSS feed from my Google Reader account to be in my rainmeter. I figure I may possibly be adding the wrong link or something to that effect. THe way I got the link to my Google Reader RSS feed was by going to my Google reader page in firefox and then clicking the RSS link in the address bar, taking me to my feed. I then used that URL which is:

"http://www.google.com/reader/atom/user%2F03082924928818986074%2Fstate%2Fcom.google%2Freading-list"

Is this not the correct link? It doesn't look similar to other URL feeds which usually say RSS in them or something to that effect. I have noticed also that it says "atom" in the link; does that mean I need to use the atom reader? I tried also putting this link in Enigma's atom reader, but to no avail.

The next question I had was, it is no problem for me to figure out where to put the RSS url with enigma because of the handy interface. However, when trying to use other skins that have no such interface, I have to edit the skin and directly put it in. I am unable to figure out precisely where to put it. I figured I had to put it under "URL = #URL# " , but I also had no success with that.

If anyone can help me with either question, I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks for everything. If this has been asked before I apologize and could you please link me in the right direction. Thanks again.
smurfier

Re: RSS Feeds - Google Reader

Post by smurfier »

From my research I learned a while ago that you need to take that url and process it through Feedburner.com to get a regular RSS feed.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
quest_que_ce

Post by quest_que_ce »

Hi and thanks for your response,

When I enter that feed into feedburner.com it says my feed is invalid. Am I using the wrong feed url? I detailed in my OP how I got that URL.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Go a subscription and on the right where it says "Change Folders" click on "new folder" and name it something. Now you can select this folder for any other subscription you want.

Next you'll need to back to your Reader home page. You just need it to reload your settings.

Go back into your setting and this time click on "Folders and Tags".

In the row with the folder you just made it a greyed out portion that says "private". Click it to make that folder public.

Now click "view public feed".

View the atom feed. That is the url that you need to put through feed burner.

Once you put it through feed burner, remember that you need to click "view xml" on the feed page because that's what needs to be parsed with the skin.

Hope this helps.
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
quest_que_ce

Post by quest_que_ce »

smurfier wrote:Log into Google Reade and go to Reader Settings.

Go a subscription and on the right where it says "Change Folders" click on "new folder" and name it something. Now you can select this folder for any other subscription you want.

Next you'll need to back to your Reader home page. You just need it to reload your settings.

Go back into your setting and this time click on "Folders and Tags".

In the row with the folder you just made it a greyed out portion that says "private". Click it to make that folder public.

Now click "view public feed".

View the atom feed. That is the url that you need to put through feed burner.

Once you put it through feed burner, remember that you need to click "view xml" on the feed page because that's what needs to be parsed with the skin.

Hope this helps.

Hi. Thanks so much again for all your help. I went through the process and got the RSS feed URL in xml (http://feeds.feedburner.com/dannydViaDannyInGoogleReader?format=xml). However when I enter that into the Enigma configuration under RSS it doesn't work. When I enter it into the atom feed it works though! however it only shows one just one line of links rather than the 10 I believe that are available. Any thoughts on that?
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Yeah....we'll have to wait for someone smarter to weigh in. I have a couple theories, but neither the knowledge or time to test them.
quest_que_ce

Post by quest_que_ce »

smurfier wrote:Yeah....we'll have to wait for someone smarter to weigh in. I have a couple theories, but neither the knowledge or time to test them.
Alright thanks a lot for your time and help. With that feedburner business, when I add new feeds to me google reader will that link be updated? As in, does that link directly to my feed and get whatever is new from it? Or do I have to burn my feed everytime I update it.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Goggle reader updates the feeds in the folder you made, and feedburner reads the output from that. So, yes, it will update for you.
figpetus

Post by figpetus »