It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:25 pm

Hello, new to this and frustrated with trying to do skins

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
formaldefeat

Hello, new to this and frustrated with trying to do skins

Post by formaldefeat »

Hi. So I recently downloaded Rainmeter 2.2 beta (I think). Got it up and running, including the illustro default option. So, I then downloaded Enigma from this site, manually installed it into my documents/rainmeter/skins folder, and then used the taskbar thing to start pumping out .ini files. Okay, so far so good.

When I do this I get little patches of text on the upper left-hand corner of my screen. For instance, trying to set up Enigma clock, I get this jumbled mess of text in my upper left hand screen. Okay. I right click and go to Edit Skins, which I read everywhere is the place to go if you want to change how it looks, text size, organizing the size and stretching it out (I assume). However, once I get there I get this little message towards the bottom: Instructions=· Double-click to switch to the next variant. | · Middle-click to refresh. | · Load Enigma\Options.ini to change options for this skin.

Okay, so I don't get an option to change X Y Z values, width, height, color. Anything. So I go into Enigma/options and open it. I get this funny looking box. So I go into the box and I go to edit skins and when I make changes I make changes to this box, not to anything else.

What am I doing wrong? How the hell do I run this? I'm not very good at anything on the computer, it would seem, and my flaw has been glaringly frustrating to say the least. I've tried the Rainmeter 101, I've even read multiple sites on Enigma and none of them help me with this issue. I'm out of ideas and I really want to use your programs. I've also been told that Enigma comes with premade themes but i can't seem to find them.

Any ideas?
poiru
Developer

Re: Hello, new to this and frustrated with trying to do skin

Post by poiru »

Delete whatever you put into your Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder. Then, download Enigma and double-click on the downloaded .rmskin (green raindrop) file to install :)

If you're using Internet Explorer, it might change the .rmskin extension to .zip. In that case, you can either rename the .zip to .rmskin (make sure you can see the extensions first). Then double-click to install.
formaldefeat

Post by formaldefeat »

Muah! I love you! That was painstakingly easy. I must thank you, my sir. The problem was Internet Explorer all along. Who would have thought?
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

formaldefeat wrote:The problem was Internet Explorer all along. Who would have thought?
I'm not that surprised that the problem was Internet Explorer. Every now and then I have problems with all the skins reading RSS/ATOM feeds and a message saying WebParser (1646) A connection with server could not be established (ErrorCode=12029). I can still browse the web with Firefox and the only way I can fix the problem with the rainmeter skins is -> Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab -> LAN settings and then un-checking all the boxes there.

I don't know what causes the problem and am especially confused because the only time I ever open Internet Explorer is to fix this problem!