It is currently April 25th, 2024, 10:14 am

Gmail (Skins) Suddenly Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Waldensamkeit

Gmail (Skins) Suddenly Not Working

Post by Waldensamkeit »

Alright. well I've done the forum searches and this definitely does not feel like a noob problem where I just neglected to enter my info in the right spot, but out of nowhere, the gmail skin just stopped notifying me of new messages.

I use the gnometer gmail.ini (not the popups or the 4 or 8 one, just the plain old notify). Now granted I pulled that code out and combined it with illustro's google search and it worked perfectly for about 2 months now until a few days ago.

I went in and plugged my user and pass directly into the measure and that didn't work. Then I checked the var.ini that was being included and copy/pasted the user/pass right from my gmail to make sure there were no typos.

I went through every gmail skin I have in my skins folder and nothing, so I dl'ed a couple more and still nothing.

I don't use IE, I think I even uninstalled it, but that's never been a problem before. I never changed anything on my Norton or chrome/internet settings, except that I must have changed something... somehow, somewhere because any skin that would normally say "X New Messages for someone@gmail.com"
now only says, "messages for" or "Inbox of".

I have no idea what I would've changed but if anyone has ANY ideas at all, I would appreciate any suggestions. Heres the code for the gmail skin (which is pretty much the same for all the ones ive seen)

Code: Select all

[mGmail]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
Url=https://#mail.User#:#mail.Pass#@gmail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom
RegExp="(?siU)<fullcount>(.*)</fullcount>"
UpdateRate=300
StringIndex=1
IfAboveValue=1
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterSetVariable Subtitle "%1 new mails"][!RainmeterSetVariable MailState "New"]
IfEqualValue=1
IfEqualAction=!Execute [!RainmeterSetVariable Subtitle "%1 new mail"][!RainmeterSetVariable MailState "New"]
IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=!Execute [!RainmeterSetVariable Subtitle "No new mail"][!RainmeterSetVariable MailState "NoNew"]
BTW, the gnometer gCal reader(modified by chitresh4u) works fine and except for the occassional not showing anything until I refresh the skin, is always up to date with my appointments.

Thanks
Waldensamkeit

Re: Gmail (Skins) Suddenly Not Working

Post by Waldensamkeit »

Alright, I'm really sorry, I think this is the second time I have posted a request for help and then immediately afterwards have realized what the issue is. In this case it may be useful information for the next guy.

I recently tried out Google's new 2-step verification process which, if I read correctly, makes your gmail account machine specific. SO after turning on 2-step verification any device that would try to access your gmail account would need a device specific password. I guess the whole point was that even if someone snagged my user and pass, they could only access my account from my computer since any other device would require it's own password.

So I went in and told my Google account that Rainmeter wants in and Google gave me a password specific for Rainmeter, changed it in the variables for my gmail skin and am now once again getting my new message notifications.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

I like you. You find the solutions to you own problems! :D
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
shiraz07

Post by shiraz07 »

Waldensamkeit wrote:Alright, I'm really sorry, I think this is the second time I have posted a request for help and then immediately afterwards have realized what the issue is. In this case it may be useful information for the next guy.

I recently tried out Google's new 2-step verification process which, if I read correctly, makes your gmail account machine specific. SO after turning on 2-step verification any device that would try to access your gmail account would need a device specific password. I guess the whole point was that even if someone snagged my user and pass, they could only access my account from my computer since any other device would require it's own password.

So I went in and told my Google account that Rainmeter wants in and Google gave me a password specific for Rainmeter, changed it in the variables for my gmail skin and am now once again getting my new message notifications.
Nice one!Wondered what was up when I set up the 2-step recently.