It is currently April 19th, 2024, 12:50 pm

Saving Rainmeter configuration

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
boxerfangg

Saving Rainmeter configuration

Post by boxerfangg »

I have installed a few themes and a bunch of skins and I have configured (settings) and placed them where I like. Is there a way to back up all of the themes and skins and also all of the settings in case I lose them? Does Rain Backup do this? Also is there a way to just backup the skins and their settings and turn it into a custom theme? Thanks.
Last edited by boxerfangg on May 31st, 2011, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barguybrady

Re: Saving Rainmeter configuration

Post by barguybrady »

I, too, am confounded as to saving the layouts and content of the panels in Rainmeter.
Using Omnimo 3.0
when I re-load Rainmeter, all the panels and meters return to default Omnimo settings.

Thank You, Greatly, in advance for any assistance.
B

( my feeling in regards to the entire Rainmeter program (s), you might find more users if the nomenclature was easier to grasp... "skins", "configs", "themes"..? I still don't understand exactly what each of these are referring to ? )
boxerfangg

Re: Saving Rainmeter configuration

Post by boxerfangg »

Ok, I think I might have figured it out.
I have installed a few themes and a bunch of skins and I have configured (settings) and placed them where I like. Is there a way to back up all of the themes and skins and also all of the settings in case I lose them? Does Rain Backup do this?
Rain Backup does do this. But I had a problem when trying to install the .rmskin. I deleted all of the skins and themes in Rainmeter to test out the backup and it gave me an error about not being able to update the backup skin. To fix this I opened the .rmskin in WinRar. I deleted all of the folders with the word backup in them, except the Backup theme, you should rename this to the desired name of you theme (this will contain all the setting you set up for your skins). Now you have a backup containing all of the themes, skins, and setting you set up.
Also is there a way to just backup the skins and their settings and turn it into a custom theme?
This is also possible. Just do the same as above, but delete all of the themes, except the Backup theme, rename this to the desired theme name. This backup will now contain your custom theme and all of the skins, plugins, and addons required to run it.

Also
"skins", "configs", "themes"..? I still don't understand exactly what each of these are referring to ?
Skins refer to each individual window or box you see on your desktop. These are located in Rainmeter\Skins in your Documents folder. Each skin has its own folder with an .ini file describing it.

Configs is just another way to say Skins. They are the same.

Themes contain a bunch of setting that relate to each skin, such as where each one is located, if the are dragable, and if you can click through them. They are just files that save a layout of skins and are located in AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Themes in your documents folder.

Also just so you know. Suites are are bunch of skins packed together for convenience.
And finally .rmskin files are archives that can contain all of the above and plugins and addons in them. When ran they extract all of the files to the appropriate folders. Skins, themes, plugins, and addons.

Hope this helps!