It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:54 pm

[Solved] Help: New Skins not showing up.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
irishblighter

[Solved] Help: New Skins not showing up.

Post by irishblighter »

OK, new to rainmeter and to customizing desktops in general. I'm not particularly tech-savvy, but I'm not completely ignorant either. My issue is this: Any skins that I download do not appear in my themes. I've tried .zip files, unpacked them, then put them into my skins folder in My Documents-> Rainmeter -> Skins, I've tried .rmskin files. They install just fine, but when I refresh all, nothing happens. I'm kind of at a loss, here. I've searched about and can't seem to find anybody else with the same problem. Any advice, RM forums?
Seahorse

Re: Help: New Skins not showing up.

Post by Seahorse »

Right click Rainmeter icon in traybar & select Refresh all. Right click when its done to see new Configs & themes you have installed if they rmskin hasn't installed.
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Ktiger

Post by Ktiger »

Im having the same problem. I tried refreshing, and re-installing, but nothing is working :confused:
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Right-click Rainmeter tray icon -> Configs. Are the skins missing from there?
Ktiger

Post by Ktiger »

There we go! its showing now. thanks!
tobaal

Re: [Solved] Help: New Skins not showing up.

Post by tobaal »

This issue started with me all of a sudden. I have used rainmeter on multiple machines and have never had a problem, even making my own skins has always worked fine, however I went to work on a new skin the other day and can not get it to be recognized. I checked my coding and even tried importing code from other skins that DO work to no avail. New skins from other people seem to be installing and working fine, I just can't seem to make any new ones of my own. I have gone so far as exporting to a .rmskin package, deleting from the skins folder, and reinstalling from the .rmskin that I exported but still nothing. Any thoughts?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tobaal wrote: November 19th, 2018, 3:03 am This issue started with me all of a sudden. I have used rainmeter on multiple machines and have never had a problem, even making my own skins has always worked fine, however I went to work on a new skin the other day and can not get it to be recognized. I checked my coding and even tried importing code from other skins that DO work to no avail. New skins from other people seem to be installing and working fine, I just can't seem to make any new ones of my own. I have gone so far as exporting to a .rmskin package, deleting from the skins folder, and reinstalling from the .rmskin that I exported but still nothing. Any thoughts?
I suspect that your text editor is creating new files encoded as UTF-8 w/BOM. That won't work with Rainmeter. Skins .ini files should be encoded as either ANSI, or even better, UTF-16 Little Endian.

If you use the "Create skin" functionality in Manage, that will create the files as UTF-16, and I bet that works for you.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#CreateNewSkin

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/unicode-in-rainmeter/
tobaal

Post by tobaal »

I resaved the file and made sure it was ANSI, created it as a new skin and installed it, refreshed all (of coarse), and it's still not happening for me.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tobaal wrote: November 20th, 2018, 12:45 am I resaved the file and made sure it was ANSI, created it as a new skin and installed it, refreshed all (of coarse), and it's still not happening for me.
Go to About / Version using the tray icon, and click on "Copy to clipboard". Paste that here.

Then

Go find the file in explorer, SHIFT-Right-Click it and select "Copy as path". Paste that here.
tobaal

Post by tobaal »

4.2.0 r3111 64-bit (Jul 8 2018) - English (1033)
Windows 10 Home 1803 64-bit (build 17134) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\tobel\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\tobel\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\tobel\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

"C:\Users\tobel\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\monicle\monicle.txt"