It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:55 pm

Steam Game Launcher creator. Java Application

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Winde

Steam Game Launcher creator. Java Application

Post by Winde »

I just put together a script to create a config file for Rainmeter that will put links to play (or install) your steam games on your desktop.
Hope it has some value for anyone, I know I had been searching for something similar for a while.
I've bundled both the executable (.jar so it needs Java runtime), and the source code. Any improvements to the code are welcome :)

Here it is

I preconfigured it with the Deus Ex font, in case anyone is interested.

And an screenshot (very deus ex centric)

KreAch3R

Re: Steam Game Launcher creator. Java Application

Post by KreAch3R »

I really like the idea, even though I don't use Steam. Congrats. :)
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
RationalG

Post by RationalG »

Hi, i'm very interested so i tried to install it, but it tells me that src doesn't contain any valid meters or measures. How can i install it ? :(
Riboe

Post by Riboe »

It seems like a pretty handy tool, however I couldn't get it to work properly.

I am running Rainmeter 2.1.0 beta rev 885 (64-bit). (not that I think it has anything to do with it, since it's only your Java-app and Steam that interacts?)

Anyway, I can open SteamRainmeter.jar, but all I get is a large, white window, a text box, 2 buttons and a line of text. (I assume that's the entire interface and nothing is missing.)

When I write my Steam ID into the text box, I assume I'm supposed to click "Refresh". I do that and nothing happens.
Pressing "Create Rainmeter Config", succesfully creates a Steam Games.ini file, with the following content:

Code: Select all

;
; Rainmeter configuration file
; "STEAM Games" - App launcher

; Skin Version 0.01
;

[Rainmeter]
Author=Winde
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Variables]
FontSize=8
FontColor=255,255,255,255
FontFace=Denton
StringEffect=SHADOW

I assume the rest of the code is missing, since the application didn't list any of my Steam games.
Winde

Post by Winde »

Riboe: Everything you're doing seems to be correct. Maybe you can check that you're using your Steam ID and not your steam login. You should have an url for your games similar to this: "http://steamcommunity.com/id/winde/games/?tab=all"

If you replace winde with your steam Id that's the website the java program is parsing. It also might have something to do with your steam configuration, I assume you can set your profile to private in Steam, so that may also be it.

RationalG: The src package is the source code of this program, the intended usage is for you to execute the jar that is in the package and generate your own config. Riboe has unintentionally provided a step by step on how to use it, so you can check his post :)
RationalG

Post by RationalG »

Works fine for me now ! Thank you and great job ! :D :welcome:
Yoyoenix91

Post by Yoyoenix91 »

Is there a way for this to only load a list of the games you currently have installed? Just curious. D8
Winde

Post by Winde »

Yoyoenix91 wrote:Is there a way for this to only load a list of the games you currently have installed? Just curious. D8
Probably. The program would have to be modified to do that. As far as I can tell the Steam command line API has no easy way to do that, so either the program would have to open the games one by one and find out some way to tell wether they are being installed or executed, or you'd have to implement a database of the installed files per game and check wether those could be found under your steam folder.

Not something I'm planning on implementing, I personally like being able to see my full library and install them from my desktop :)
Yoyoenix91

Post by Yoyoenix91 »

Winde wrote: Probably. The program would have to be modified to do that. As far as I can tell the Steam command line API has no easy way to do that, so either the program would have to open the games one by one and find out some way to tell wether they are being installed or executed, or you'd have to implement a database of the installed files per game and check wether those could be found under your steam folder.

Not something I'm planning on implementing, I personally like being able to see my full library and install them from my desktop :)
Ah, I understand. Thanks for the info! ^_^
esther_af90

Post by esther_af90 »

Hi!, I'me really interested in this launcher but the link is broken. Can somebody upload it again or send it to me?

Thank you very much!