It is currently May 9th, 2024, 1:01 pm

Problems with the Windows Taskbar

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Miniemor

Problems with the Windows Taskbar

Post by Miniemor »

Quite obviously, I'm new to Rainmeter. I've toyed around with it, and I'm very satisfied with it thus far. However, there is one thing that is bothering me: I can't seem to change or entirely hide the default Windows task bar/dock/the grey bar which, on default, is at the bottom of my screen.
I looked around, and I found Visage, which I expect to be helpful, but after I had downloaded it, I found out that I had no idea where I should save it. I'm worried I might screw things up if I were to continue experimenting myself, so here I am, wondering if maybe the big guys can help me out.
I'm using the Enigma skin and, unfortunately, Windows Vista 32-bit, if that is of any importance.

Thank you for your time.
r0k

Re: Problems with the Windows Taskbar

Post by r0k »

The taskbar is a real annoyance. Hiding it is quite simple actually. Not sure about Visage as i'm using my own AutoHotKey script to handle it.
If you are interested i have compiled it and uploaded it to my DropBox here
To use it simply run it. It will hide the taskbar (and the start menu) and change the DesktopWorkArea to be fullscreen (else you would have an empty unusable space where your TB was).
Win-Esc will toggle the TB on or off and Ctrl-Win-Esc will restore the TB and quit the application.
It works on my Windows 7 so it should work on Vista but was untested. If you give it a try i'd like to learn whether it works or not.

Splitting the Taskbar to keep some parts and put them over a skin while hiding the rest as i'm trying to do is MUCH harder :headbang:
Last edited by r0k on April 13th, 2012, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miniemor

Post by Miniemor »

r0k wrote:The taskbar is a real annoyance. Hiding it is quite simple actually. Not sure about Visage as i'm using my own AutoHotKey script to handle it.
If you are interested i have compiled it and uploaded it to my DropBox here
To use it simply run it. It will hide the taskbar and change the DesktopWorkArea to be fullscreen (else you would have an empty unusable space where your TB was).
Win-Esc will toggle the TB on or off and Ctrl-Win-Esc will restore the TB and quit the application.
It works on my Windows 7 so it should work on Vista but was untested. If you give it a try i'd like to learn whether it works or not.

Splitting the Taskbar to keep some parts and put them over a skin while hiding the rest as i'm trying to do is MUCH harder :headbang:
Yes, hiding it works perfectly now. Thanks a lot for that!
However, I can't seem to find out how to open other windows with the default task bar hidden, so I guess I didn't think it through enough. I'll have to look for another way to get a nice task bar.
Once again, I am really grateful, though. You've helped me quite a lot with this.
r0k

Post by r0k »

If Vista works like 7 the start menu should be available with the Windows key even when the TB is hidden if that helps.
Thanks for your feedback :)