It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:55 pm

Australia Weather from BOM

Weather skins
kanine

Australia Weather from BOM

Post by kanine »

I've just released a skin for the popular Rainmeter desktop customisation tool, that displays weather information sourced from http://www.bom.gov.au

Links
BOM Weather Skin – https://github.com/kanine/bomWeather-2020

Hopefully others may find this useful.
Attachments
screen-bp.jpg
Last edited by kanine on October 26th, 2020, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin Linus

Re: Australia Weather from BOM

Post by Benjamin Linus »

:thumbup: Very nice work, shame i'm not in Oz !
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Looks good! Glad you finally got it done after all that work.

By the way, in case you weren't aware: Rainmeter includes a "skin packager" utility, which allows you to package and distribute your skin in the ".rmskin" format. This allows your users to install the skin in just a few clicks, rather than manually extracting and copying the files. It's also better from a security standpoint, because Rainmeter checks the validity of the .rmskin before installing. We really encourage people to use this format whenever possible.

See here for more information.
kanine

Post by kanine »

Kaelri wrote: By the way, in case you weren't aware: Rainmeter includes a "skin packager" utility.
Thanks for the information, I've been looking into that process last night and modified some of my skin/scripts in preparation for publishing them using that method.

However, I do have a question and need some advice on how to best set this up.

I have two skins that I am primarily going to maintain

1) Weather skin
2) My Internet Usage (from BigPond)

The second one is only relevent for those people who use BigPond and when I publish I'd rather just publish one or the other. The way things are at the moment I have one folder called "kanine" sitting in the skins directory with a subfolder for each skin. However, the images and scripts that are connected sit within a folder called @Resources which is one level up.

So whenever I create the skin package it includes the scripting for both scripts.

I do prefer this as it keeps all my scripting together, but if I want to distribute these skins with the packager it means both scripts will be included. I know I can split the folder at a higher level but is there any other way I could do this?
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

When you have multiple skins that depend on a common set of files, you have two good options:
  1. Package all of the skins together in a "suite," ala Enigma, Gnometer, et al.
  2. Treat each skin as a completely separate project, and duplicate common files for each one.
Anything in between tends to be messy, confusing, and hard to maintain.

For example, you could put your two skins in their own top-level folders, and then have a third folder - say, "Kanine Common Files" - that the other two refer to for images and scripts:

Code: Select all

Skins\Kanine Weather
Skins\Kanine Internet Usage
Skins\Kanine Common Files

ImageName=#SKINSPATH#Kanine Common Files\image.png
Each package would contain a copy of Kanine Common Files and install it alongside its respective skin.

But then, if anyone wants to install both of your skins, you have a problem. Because if a user installs a more recent version of Weather while keeping an older version of Internet Usage, the new Weather package will overwrite Common Files and run the risk of breaking the old Internet Usage skin. (This is also a great way of cluttering up other people's Documents folder, which they tend not to appreciate.)

Alternatively, you could put all of the common files into either Weather or Internet Usage, and have one skin be required for the other to work. But in that case, you might as well just package them together.

Ultimately, it's just a good principle to treat any distributed skin package as an independent, self-contained unit, and minimize any chance for different skins (or different versions of the same skin) to interfere with each other.
kanine

Post by kanine »

Kaelri wrote: Ultimately, it's just a good principle to treat any distributed skin package as an independent, self-contained unit, and minimize any chance for different skins (or different versions of the same skin) to interfere with each other.
OK, I've repackaged this skin as a standalone rmskin file available here:

https://github.com/kanine/bomWeather-2020

So far I've only scripted for Melbourne and Sydney, so the simple setup script will do most of the work. Advanced users may be able to tweak the settings which will be stored in this folder:
Application Data\Rainmeter-kanine
Last edited by kanine on October 26th, 2020, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanine

Post by kanine »

With help from jsmorely I've added an animated Rain Radar toggle onto the skin. The blue radar image next to the update date turns the Radar On and Off
Attachments
screen2.jpg
podgee59

Post by podgee59 »

I just download "Bomweather.rmskin" and install it'
Now,I'm getting note saying "Please run bomWeathersetup.vbs to set up your configuration".
and i can not fine this program ?

the link, i want to use, "http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/ballarat.shtml"

how do i add this link

Peter
idle

Post by idle »

Firstly a big thx to kanine for making and sharing this great Rainmeter skin. Much more accurate than weather.com that most skin use, so its greatly appreciated mate :great:

podgee59 - you need to navigate to:

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\bomWeather\@Resources\Scripts

Inside that folder you'll find a file called: bomWeatherSetup <--- Run this and your good :thumbup:
holdenranger

Post by holdenranger »

Thanks for this great Rainmeter script. I have been using it for ages and it's a wonder.

Recently though I have been getting an error. I made sure I am running the latest version (bomWeather_0.1j.rmskin 2014-12-28).

The error:

Windows Script Host

Script:
C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\bom\Weather\@Resources\Scripts\bomWeather.vbs
Line: 97
Char: 3
Error: Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'
Code: 800A0005
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error
I removed my old copy and re-added the new one. Running Windows 8.1.

Cheers for any help that may be rendered.