It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:43 am

Help!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ScoobSTi

Help!

Post by ScoobSTi »

I posted this same issue almost a year ago, got a few hundred views but zero replies. Maybe this time around, someone can help me.

I'm making a skin that cycles through some parsed RSS info every 15 seconds. The news headline changes and the name of the author changes. I'm trying to get the link to change with the other 2, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Code: Select all

[cCounter]
Measure=Calc
Formula=cCounter%5+1
UpdateDivider=15

[MeterLink]
Meter=String
MeasureName=Link1
MeasureName2=Link2
MeasureName3=Link3
MeasureName4=Link4
MeasureName5=Link5
X=0
Y=0
StringCase=Upper
FontSize=8
FontColor=0,0,0,0
FontFace=Montserrat
Text=%[cCounter]
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1

[LinkBG]
Meter=Image
X=10
Y=60
W=480
H=130
LeftMouseUpAction=["[MeterLink]"]
So the [cCounter] measure changes all the info every 15 seconds, but the link doesn't work. I have the links correctly parsed out and put them into a meter, but using links from a meter value doesn't seem to work. Is there an alternative way?
sa3er

Re: Help!

Post by sa3er »

If you want to get part of your ship fixed, people would have to know your whole ship structure first.
Please paste the full code to http://pastebin.com/ and put the link here.
ScoobSTi

Post by ScoobSTi »

After what I've seen on DeviantArt, I'm sorta paranoid of people stealing others' work. :p

Code: Select all

[GawkerRSS]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
UpdateRate=3000
URL="http://feeds.gawker.com/#Site#/full"
RegExp="(?siU)<title>(.*)</title>.*#Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get##Get#"

[Title1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=2

[Title2]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=7

[Title3]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=12

[Title4]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=17

[Title5]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=22

[Author1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=6

[Author2]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=11

[Author3]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=16

[Author4]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=21

[Author5]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=26

[Link1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=3

[Link2]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=8

[Link3]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=13

[Link4]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=18

[Link5]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser.dll
URL=[GawkerRSS]
StringIndex=23

[cCounter]
Measure=Calc
Formula=cCounter%5+1
UpdateDivider=5

[MeterAuthor]
Meter=String
MeasureName=Author1
MeasureName2=Author2
MeasureName3=Author3
MeasureName4=Author4
MeasureName5=Author5
SolidColor=0,0,0,0
X=10
Y=60
W=130
H=130
ClipString=1
StringCase=Upper
FontSize=10
FontColor=65,125,185,255
FontFace=Montserrat
Text=%[cCounter]
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterTitle]
Meter=String
MeasureName=Title1
MeasureName2=Title2
MeasureName3=Title3
MeasureName4=Title4
MeasureName5=Title5
SolidColor=0,0,0,0
X=160
Y=60
W=330
H=130
ClipString=1
StringCase=Upper
FontSize=16
FontColor=0,0,0,255
FontFace=Montserrat
Text=%[cCounter]
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterLink]
Meter=String
MeasureName=Link1
MeasureName2=Link2
MeasureName3=Link3
MeasureName4=Link4
MeasureName5=Link5
X=0
Y=0
StringCase=Upper
FontSize=8
FontColor=0,0,0,100
FontFace=Montserrat
Text=%[cCounter]
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1

[LinkBG]
Meter=Image
X=10
Y=60
W=480
H=130
LeftMouseUpAction=["[MeterLink]"]
sa3er

Post by sa3er »

Yet this is not the full version.
I'm sorry but I can not understand your skin. Maybe some pro could.
ScoobSTi wrote:After what I've seen on DeviantArt, I'm sorta paranoid of people stealing
And throw away that kind of thinking. Rainmeter itself is open source. The main advantage of Rainmeter is the way people can use each other's code as a reference and the way they can improve each other's skin cause everything is simply open. No matter if you release your full skin code here and now or tomorrow after it is finished, your skin code will always be open, and people will always be able to use it.

It is called Open Source.
;-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter is "open source". The skins and suites that others create with it absolutely ARE NOT.

It is both true and a good thing that the Rainmeter community is one where everyone learns from everyone else, and putting out a skin in public means you are at once offering that skin for users to enjoy, and for others to tear apart and learn from. This is a big part of why Rainmeter is so popular. The open nature of the skin code (open in the sense of readable, not locked down or compiled) really reduces the "price of admission" to Rainmeter for new authors.

Every single one of us, without exception, benefited from messing with other folk's skins.

However, skins and graphics and addons folks do for their skins are still their intellectual property. Depending on the type of licence they put in the Metadata of the skin, or any restrictions on use they specify in comments or readme files, they may intend for all or part of their work to be freely used by others, or not. That is their absolute right.

It is at once the right thing to do, and in the best interests of the community, for everyone to pay attention and abide by how an author licenses their work. It's not rocket science folks. If an author says "use this as you see fit", then go for it. If there are restrictions like "non-commercial" or "share and share alike" or "no derivatives", then either contact the author for permission, or just don't use the other person's work in a way they have restricted.

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/publishing-skins#GuidelineLicense

At ALL times we should be providing credit when we use other people's work. Skin code, graphics, addons, any part of someone else's hard work. That should be done no matter what kind of license is on the skin. Period. Link to the original work when you post your skin, and make it clear that while you may have used someone else's ideas in a new and unique way, you are obligated to them for the original creation.

We need to make a practice of "shaming" folks who don't have any regard for where the credit lies for things they put out. I particularly hate those "compilation" skin suites that constantly pop up that are nothing more than a bunch of other people's skins, set on a different wallpaper (also used without attribution most of the time) and posted on deviantART or Custo as "My Wonderful Creation". No attribution, no links to the original work. I would like to see pointed comments on those submissions every time.

The nature of Rainmeter means you are not going to be able to protect your work in any real way once you post it somewhere. Lots of people are going to steal your graphics, use your skins or skin code without attribution, and generally ignore any license you put on your stuff. While this can be very annoying, I still think on balance it is really a price that we pay for the open nature of the way Rainmeter works and the large and dynamic community that surrounds Rainmeter.

My advice is to comment on anything you see posted that uses your work, asking them to provide credit and attribution. After that, let it go. Trying to police this, even for just your own work, is a losing battle and one that will just drive you crazy. It is just human nature that some number of folks are never going to understand or care what the right way to benefit from other's work is.