It is currently April 26th, 2024, 5:32 pm

iohelix moon feed going down

General topics related to Rainmeter.
benjam

iohelix moon feed going down

Post by benjam »

UPDATE: I will NOT be taking down the moon feed, as I have found a workable solution. See a couple posts down...

ORIGINAL:
The moon feed that runs on my website is generating too much traffic for my small hosting plan. As this is a free service and is paid for with my own money, I am not able to increase the plan to handle the traffic. I am therefore going to take down the moon feed within a week.

If anybody would like to take on the moon feed, please feel free to do so. The code can be downloaded from my site at http://iohelix.net/moon

I will post a notice on the site letting people know that the feed is no longer available. If you would like to take on the feed, let me know, and I'll post directions to your site.

I apologize for this, I never expected the feed to be as popular as it has become.

Thanks.
Last edited by benjam on March 14th, 2013, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
Mordasius

Re: iohelix moon feed going down

Post by Mordasius »

This is sad news indeed as I suspect that there are quite a few of us that have produced skins that rely on your feed.

Before you go could you pass on the C+, javascript or whatever it is you are using to produce the the Percentage Illumination and days to next phase?

I'd be very happy to make a first stab at translating them to a Lua script that could be improved and eventually used by other contributors to the rainmeter forums.
Last edited by Mordasius on March 14th, 2013, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benjam

Post by benjam »

As stated in the first post, you can grab the entire script that runs all my moon data from http://iohelix.net/moon
benjam

Post by benjam »

As an initial measure, I have started to cache the XML file every 5 minutes. If this brings down my CPU usage enough, I may be able to hold on a little longer.
benjam

Post by benjam »

Ok... I've started caching the file every 5 minutes, and feeding that.

To get to the cached file directly, go to .../moonlite.xml or .../moonfeed.xml (more data)

The *.php versions just feed those files.

Since I began feeding the cached files, my server load has dropped from 30% (my hosting provider limits me to 8%) to 0%. Which is amazing.

The only drawback is that times are always in UTC, and will not be converted to local times in the XML file.

So I guess I was a bit premature in thinking I would have to take the feeds down. I didn't think that caching the file would have that big of an impact. Even when running the script once a minute for testing, I was still at 0%. But the moon doesn't move far in 5 minutes, so I won't be caching data any more frequently than that.

Thanks for understanding.

Enjoy the feed. I'm keeping it right where it is.