It is currently May 6th, 2024, 6:44 am

Screen grid for item positioning

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Screen grid for item positioning

Post by balala »

I'm not quite sure I understood what are you suggesting. What you mean by "skin that goes from center of screen, or from set position, outward by given angle"?
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

skin that has default center in center of screen, by collecting screen size and divide it by 2. and have option so you can move center if you do not want your skin center to be positioned in center of screen. from that center you have lines that go out, my mistake, not by given angle but by given number of lines. like if you want 36 lines out of center they will be on every 10 deg angle, but if you like to have 10 lines they would go on every 36 deg angle...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ivan wrote:skin that has default center in center of screen, by collecting screen size and divide it by 2. and have option so you can move center if you do not want your skin center to be positioned in center of screen. from that center you have lines that go out, my mistake, not by given angle but by given number of lines. like if you want 36 lines out of center they will be on every 10 deg angle, but if you like to have 10 lines they would go on every 36 deg angle...
Let's say for now I'd like to finish what are we working on. Then we'll see, but I think it can be implemented. But I don't know if it has any practical purposes.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

for me it is not practical, as me being mechanical engineer I like things that follow lines :) but I saw many circle based themes on devianart so I think somebody can use it....

I am not asking you to stop this line grid! NOOOO! I LIKE IT SO MUCH!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ivan wrote:I am not asking you to stop this line grid! NOOOO! I LIKE IT SO MUCH!
Now I will not even! I've started to love it, too! I never thought that a simple question, evolving, will become so interesting!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: Now I will not even! I've started to love it, too! I never thought that a simple question, evolving, will become so interesting!
I agree with you both, this is looking interesting, but for now let's allow balala to work in some metric measures.

I was considering toggling the grid (off/on) but that would take a bit of editing to group meters. On the other hand, it's almost as easy to deactivate/activate the skin.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

eclectic-tech wrote: I was considering toggling the grid (off/on) but that would take a bit of editing to group meters. On the other hand, it's almost as easy to deactivate/activate the skin.
Can you work with 0% transparency and 100% transparency as On/Off switch? Instead to go for more complicated solutions.

(me giving advice and I have no idea if transparency change from inside skin is easy or complicated LOL)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Ivan wrote: Can you work with 0% transparency and 100% transparency as On/Off switch? Instead to go for more complicated solutions.

(me giving advice and I have no idea if transparency change from inside skin is easy or complicated LOL)
Yes!... Go to 90% transparent quickly, and back again using the Context, Transparency option.

Doh, I suggest using that feature in other skins I have done...
but completely overlooked it in this situation :?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Okay...

I think I finally eliminated the random crash...

I modified the X & Y line formulas to provide integer values. This along with changes to maintain the variables in range, seems to eliminate any crashes (at least on my system).

I corrected the testing of the UserInput; now any input beyond the range 16~64, will be corrected to the min/max value, and the InputBox will display that value.

I added single-click transparency to either ruler... 90% transparent with LeftMouseDownAction, release the mouse, and transparency is back to normal. (Even easier than 3~4 mouse clicks in the Context Menu) ;-)

And Here's a Trick: Hold down the left mouse button while over a ruler, then while still holding down the button, move the mouse away from the ruler and release...

The grid remains 90% transparent!

To restore the grid, just click on either ruler! 8-)

Attached beta 0.5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Finaly it's here my newest version. It has a horizontal and a vertical ruler, graded in pixels, centimeters or inches. You can control that through Unit variable: 0 means pixels, 1 centimeters and 2 inches. Before first use, you have to enter two other variables: Diagonal (the diagonal of your screen, in centimeters) and AspectRatio (always smaller then 1: 0.5625 or 0.75).
I hope I copyed all needed sections from Eclectic-tech's code. Please tell me if I didn't.
I'm curiouse if the units (centimeters and/or inches) are correct. Please let me know and also I'd like to know what difference is between the real and the shown units.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.