It is currently May 5th, 2024, 10:46 pm

Screen grid for item positioning

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Screen grid for item positioning

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote:It seems that we have posted our newest skins on the same time. I downloaded yours and I have to say it's very good!
I'll move once again the meters of the two rulers into another inc file, but I'd still eliminate the Include folder.
The central lines are great!
Maybe I'd say that we have to eliminate the cm and inches gradation of the rulers and keep just those in pixels. There are a lot of troubles with them! What you say?
Congratulations for this work, this project indeed became an interesting work (at least for me).
:rolmfao: Timing is Everything! Who would think we would be this in sync!!

I glad you liked the changes! Thanks!

I agree with putting the include files just in @Resources.
I was going to move your rulers there too, so we are both on agreement there.

I would like to 'play' with the ruler for CM & IN, I think they can be useful.
(I don't want to think about how you figured them out in the first place, geez!, more mathematics than I want to create!)
They are troublesome, but also pretty accurate and some users may find them useful.

It's been interesting! I will make the changes you suggested and post an 'updated' beta~8a in a little while.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:I agree with putting the include files just in @Resources.
I was going to move your rulers there too, so we are both on agreement there.
I think it's simpler to have just the @Resources. And move the meters of the rulers on the next release, to have an accurate ini file.
eclectic-tech wrote:I would like to 'play' with the ruler for CM & IN, I think they can be useful.
(I don't want to think about how you figured them out in the first place, geez!, more mathematics than I want to create!)
They are troublesome, but also pretty accurate and some users may find them useful.
If you think so, we'll keep them as they are. And yes, math is my friend!
eclectic-tech wrote:It's been interesting! I will make the changes you suggested and post an 'updated' beta~8a in a little while.
Ok, I won't work tonight (here's night) with this, but when you'll post the new version I'll try it.
Once again, congratulations.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I moved all the includes to @Resources.

Balala, did you make any changes to the rulers code in your posted earlier today?
The code was what I had from you before that...

I tried changing the controls for spacing from mouse scrolls to clicks, but did not see any improvement in the response time (I think it has more to do with redrawing all 200+ meters!)

By changing the AspectRatio variable, I was able to align the rulers with 'fairly good' accuracy.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts... It's been interesting!

EDIT: Just read your post... okay, don't work too hard... I need you refreshed and ready to give some feedback! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

THIS IS SO COOL!

Can you put rulers that starts from center (green line should be 0) on bottom and right side of screen?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:I moved all the includes to @Resources.
That's ok, it seems to me better.
eclectic-tech wrote:Balala, did you make any changes to the rulers code in your posted earlier today?
The code was what I had from you before that...
I didn't make any major change. But I modified the mouse scrolling actions on the unit to click for change it. What are you thinking about?
eclectic-tech wrote:I tried changing the controls for spacing from mouse scrolls to clicks, but did not see any improvement in the response time (I think it has more to do with redrawing all 200+ meters!)
I think there's no need to do that. Lets keep it as it is.
eclectic-tech wrote:By changing the AspectRatio variable, I was able to align the rulers with 'fairly good' accuracy.
I'm glad!
eclectic-tech wrote:Let me know if you have any other thoughts... It's been interesting!
No other thoughts. For now this skin became very interesting.
eclectic-tech wrote:EDIT: Just read your post... okay, don't work too hard... I need you refreshed and ready to give some feedback! :lol:
Thanks!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

@Ivan
I am definitely considering that. It makes more sense now that the grid is generated from the center outward; Balala may be able to help when he has some time (working now!)
EDIT: Done!

Beta 0.9a
The mouse scroll grid adjust has a horrible lag time; so I added 6 Custom Context Menus, available by right-click on either ruler, to quickly change the grid sizes in each of the units (Pixels: Horz/Vert, CM: Horz/Vert, & Inches: Horz/Vert).
They respond much better than the mouse scrolling, but that is still an option.
To access the standard skin menu, hold 'Ctrl' with right-click.

For now, I reduced the grid lines available to cover up to 1920x1080. This reduced the number of meters needed from 200 to 150 and stopped crashing my graphics driver :o ... I can easily set an option to add those if needed.

It made sense to me to add the option to click the unit label to change to the next measurement; you can still scroll to change.

That's all for now... my eyes are getting blurry from all of those grid lines...

EDIT: Done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I'd say that maybe would be better to eliminate the context menu, so the right click to be a classic right click. I understood why you added it, but I personaly don't like it (maybe that's because I'm used with the clasic right-click menu?).
Otherway the skin is very good, congratulations. Maybe the numbers on the left side of the horizontal and the upper side of the vertical ruler should be negative? I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
I still don't know why the !SetVariable bang don't work at the unit changement (instead of !WriteKeyValue and !Refresh).
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote:I'd say that maybe would be better to eliminate the context menu, so the right click to be a classic right click. I understood why you added it, but I personaly don't like it (maybe that's because I'm used with the clasic right-click menu?).
Otherway the skin is very good, congratulations. Maybe the numbers on the left side of the horizontal and the upper side of the vertical ruler should be negative? I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
I still don't know why the !SetVariable bang don't work at the unit changement (instead of !WriteKeyValue and !Refresh).
I think the improved response using the Context Menu, makes it worth keeping; you can easily access the normal context menu by right-click on the measurement label.

Negative/Positive numbering is worth considering.

I will take another look at the !SetVariable option to see if we can get that working.

Have to go to work for now, so I check when I get back...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:I think the improved response using the Context Menu, makes it worth keeping; you can easily access the normal context menu by right-click on the measurement label.
Yes, you're right, I didn't see before. If yo, I say we can keep that context menu.
eclectic-tech wrote:Negative/Positive numbering is worth considering.
I can't decide if it's a good idea, but maybe I'll try to implement it next hours and I'll (we'll) see if it worth.
eclectic-tech wrote:I will take another look at the !SetVariable option to see if we can get that working.
I have no idea why it's not working, but it's not!
eclectic-tech wrote:Have to go to work for now, so I check when I get back...
Ok, will talk later.