It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:18 pm

Weather Skins Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather Skins Not Working

Post by Yincognito »

vamp1r777 wrote: August 25th, 2023, 9:14 pm Yeah, it only works with a VPN now. I don't get it.
If your VPN is the only way to connect your system to the internet, that would explain it. Weather skins need internet connection to retrieve their weather data, obviously.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
vamp1r777

Post by vamp1r777 »

Yincognito wrote: August 26th, 2023, 8:12 am If your VPN is the only way to connect your system to the internet, that would explain it. Weather skins need internet connection to retrieve their weather data, obviously.
I use a computer without vpn, but the skin only works if I turn it on. Always worked fine until yesterday, I think weather.com changed something
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

vamp1r777 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 3:32 pm I use a computer without vpn, but the skin only works if I turn it on. Always worked fine until yesterday, I think weather.com changed something
That would be strange indeed...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

vamp1r777 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 3:32 pm I use a computer without vpn, but the skin only works if I turn it on. Always worked fine until yesterday, I think weather.com changed something
Didn't realize something like this, but maybe I am missing something. However I just tried turning off the built-in VPN of my Windows 10, but the skin works either with it turned on or off.
xenium

Post by xenium »

As of yesterday it seems that those living in Russia, when accessing weather.com, get the message "This content is no longer available in your area".
I don't know if vamp1r777 lives in Russia, but that may be one of the explanations...
vamp1r777

Post by vamp1r777 »

xenium wrote: August 26th, 2023, 8:03 pm As of yesterday it seems that those living in Russia, when accessing weather.com, get the message "This content is no longer available in your area".
I don't know if vamp1r777 lives in Russia, but that may be one of the explanations...
you're right, I've already figured out that it has to do with the country.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Not sure it has to do with a specific country though. On some sites I get similarly worded messages and apart from free access to their content, I don't see a reason for that. Might just be some form of preventing free access to certain services on a regional basis, typically by US sites, for purely commercial reasons. Obviously, I could be wrong, but it's a possibility.

Specific country access prevention is usually announced, like EUMETSAT did ever since 22 March 2022, in a similar scenario. Doesn't make much sense for weather.com to do this only now, if it's about the same logic, just saying.

Hopefully this won't be part of yet another incoming change in the way the service is provided, meant to obfuscate access to it...
Stavr1dka

Post by Stavr1dka »

xenium wrote: August 26th, 2023, 8:03 pm As of yesterday it seems that those living in Russia, when accessing weather.com, get the message "This content is no longer available in your area".
Yeah, looks like weather.com closed api for russian or maybe apikey has expired
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xenium

Post by xenium »

Stavr1dka wrote: August 30th, 2023, 9:03 am Yeah, looks like weather.com closed api for russian or maybe apikey has expired
API key is fine.
You can use this weather skin which uses Foreca as a source:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=34614
svin88

Post by svin88 »

Yes, I checked in Russia - with a VPN, the weather skin is working without problems. Apparently the provider began to block the weather source. What can be done so that the weather skin worked in Russia?