It is currently May 8th, 2024, 7:41 pm

Media Player Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
keifufu

Re: Media Player Plugin

Post by keifufu »

sl23 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 8:12 am That auto switching is perhaps the only thing I dislike about the plugin. I had foobar playing then opened a YouTube tab by mistake that started playing.

Trouble is, that I can't then control foobar with the skin so then have to focus it to close it making the skin almost useless for me. I don't want control of web site media, only foobar. Don't suppose that's an option though?
You can disable each site individually in the extension settings.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

keifufu wrote: August 13th, 2023, 10:29 pm Since browser media was mentioned I'd just like to remind everyone that WebNowPlaying is built precisely for this task. It gets more- and more accurate info from browser media than is exposed via the windows API. Also a reminder that WebNowPlaying supports desktop players via the same windows API and switches between them and browser media automatically.
Alright. I've worked with this plugin very long time ago but since then don't know what new features have been added. Will give it a try. Thanks letting me know.
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

balala wrote: August 14th, 2023, 11:47 am Alright. I've worked with this plugin very long time ago but since then don't know what new features have been added. Will give it a try. Thanks letting me know.
Docs are more detailed information is available at https://wnp.keifufu.dev
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

keifufu wrote: August 14th, 2023, 11:49 am Docs are more detailed information is available at https://wnp.keifufu.dev
Alright, thanks. Definitely will give it a try later.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 8:45 am @Yincognito: I am about to post on foobar forum about requesting support for foobar showing up in Windows API. I just wanted to get confirmation that my request is accurate so as to avoid confusion as to what needs adding to foobar for this plugin to pick up all info about what is currently playing.

As far as I am aware, this is the info that needs to be sent to the Windows API:
  • Album
  • Year
  • Progress duration
  • Progress position
I know this list could go on adding a lot of info, But I don't want to ask for too much. So for me this is all I need. But do you, or anyone, think there are other important info's required?
Well, I don't use foobar, but generally, I don't see the problem in asking that all playing info (or at least, all info that can be) is communicated to the System Media Transport Controls aka the SMTC API, for easy usage by 3rd party applications displaying such things or even Windows itself. Sometimes you have to ask for more than you actually want, to get what you want. Or, simply ask for complete SMTC support. Other than that, from my POV, the only must have things are the progress position and duration (assuming artist, track and basic track controls are already available) - I never really cared what album is the track from or what year it has been released in, that's more of a "nice to have" thing and not functionally critical. Programming stuff needed to achieve this is available on Microsoft sites, so it shouldn't be a problem considering that foobar is coded in C++.

That being said, you can use the flyout link posted earlier by i2002 since it has a complete picture of what is available and what not. You might also check the posts here and here that kind of explain the availability of the SMTC integration in various foobar versions (apparently, the store version has the progress info, according to the screenshots). Might worth to check the foobar plugins page to make sure that you covered all bases of potential support.

P.S. Personally, I dislike software that offer SMTC integration for about the same reasons as you mentioned: the popup itself is annoying and sometimes things trigger when you don't want them to be triggered. I also don't really use visualizers or player skins (even though I added such skins to my suite), since my Winamp has both things, and to a much higher level (and works in desktop or full screen mode too):
Winamp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yincognito on August 14th, 2023, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

keifufu wrote: August 14th, 2023, 11:25 am You can disable each site individually in the extension settings.
What extension settings? Rainmeter doesn't offer extension settings, not that I've ever heard of.
- MuLab -
sl23

Post by sl23 »

@Yincognito: Thanks for the info I'll get that put together and set up an FR for it. :thumbup:
- MuLab -
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

sl23 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 12:47 pm What extension settings? Rainmeter doesn't offer extension settings, not that I've ever heard of.
WebNowPlaying will only get info from the browser if you have the browser extension installed, otherwise it'll only get info from desktop players and ignore browsers all-together. The browser extension settings are what i meant.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

keifufu wrote: August 14th, 2023, 12:50 pm WebNowPlaying will only get info from the browser if you have the browser extension installed, otherwise it'll only get info from desktop players and ignore browsers all-together. The browser extension settings are what i meant.
I think sl23 meant that you can't control such things from a Rainmeter skin itself (e.g. disable, enable extensions, or select certain sites over the others, etc)... :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Well, no, or sort of, I meant that I'd never heard of extension setting in Rainmeter. I didn't realise you were referring to a different plugin lol
- MuLab -