It is currently May 8th, 2024, 11:13 am

ColorSelector

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
RicardoTM

Re: ColorSelector

Post by RicardoTM »

Hey, nice skin! I might add it to my Resizable Gauges skin. (If you don't mind).
Nookz

Post by Nookz »

I absolutely do not mind.^^

Altho I would highly recommend using the newer version I just posted (Updated the first post). The previous version was writing the information to the resource files way more often than what was needed (I didn't have the best understanding of the !WriteKeyValue bang at the time). I went over the entire skin and changed it so that it would only update the files when needed (and hopefully didn't break anything else while doing so :D).

Let me know if you have any issue with it.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Nookz wrote: December 10th, 2023, 1:52 am I absolutely do not mind.^^

Altho I would highly recommend using the newer version I just posted (Updated the first post). The previous version was writing the information to the resource files way more often than what was needed (I didn't have the best understanding of the !WriteKeyValue bang at the time). I went over the entire skin and changed it so that it would only update the files when needed (and hopefully didn't break anything else while doing so :D).

Let me know if you have any issue with it.
Yeah don't worry. I'm not gonna implement it for the newest version. But it's something I plan to do some time in the future.

For now, it works great, here are some things I noticed though:

When you press the ? symbol to open/close the menu/config everything is fine, but when you do it by pressing F1, it will open fine but when you close it the "Deactivate Config" meter will not hide.

If you press F1 to open the menu, and then click the ? symbol to close it, the toggle squares will not hide as well as the "Deactivate Config" meter. There are some problems with that menu.

When you use the color picker, using right mouse click to quit is not that intuitive IMHO. It would be great to be able to close it by clicking again on the color picker tool as well as using escape key.

I don't know if you are using HSV color or you misspelled HSB (Hue, Saturation, Brightness). Testing between yours and Photoshop's color selector, it should be HSB instead of HSV.

When you paste a HEX color code into the skin, the color updates but nothing else. RGB, HSV values and the indicator on the gradient will remain where they were before you paste it.

That's all I saw for now. Nice skin man.
Nookz

Post by Nookz »

Thks for the feedback!

Fixed and implemented most of it now, and a bit more general bug fixes too.
All I have left is find a way to make the colorpicker button accessible from the color picker overlay and I'll update the first post with and up-to-date version.

All Fixed now.

And about this, in case you we're wondering:
RicardoTM wrote: December 10th, 2023, 6:43 am I don't know if you are using HSV color or you misspelled HSB (Hue, Saturation, Brightness). Testing between yours and Photoshop's color selector, it should be HSB instead of HSV.
I went ahead and changed it to B since I do believe it is most the most commonly used out of the two, but HSV and HSB, from my understanding, are the same thing (There's also HSL which is a different thing entirely). the V in HSV stands for Value, and as you pointed B in HSB stand for brightness, but they both reference the same thing. But like I said, I think most image-editing software call it HSB so might as well do the same. ^^

Again, thks for the feedback, and if you find anything else, let me know.

Edit: Updated version in the first post.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Nookz wrote: December 10th, 2023, 9:56 pm Thks for the feedback!

Fixed and implemented most of it now, and a bit more general bug fixes too.
All I have left is find a way to make the colorpicker button accessible from the color picker overlay and I'll update the first post with and up-to-date version.

All Fixed now.

Again, thks for the feedback, and if you find anything else, let me know.

Edit: Updated version in the first post.
Great, I will try it.
Nookz wrote: December 10th, 2023, 9:56 pmbut HSV and HSB, from my understanding, are the same thing
Yup, according to Google they appear to be the same thing. Just different name, though I still think HSB makes more sense than HSV lol.

Edit:

Well, not those problems are fixed! Great, but now the color picker doesn't work at all.
Nookz

Post by Nookz »

hmm. can you elaborate? On my side the colorpicker still works.
I think I've changed the overlay (what opens when you're in colorpicker mode) so it would be topmost instead of stay topmost. Maybe you have a skin that is on 'stay topmost' and that's what making it appear like it's not working? That's the only thing I can think of right now at least.

If you open the Overlay.ini file and change [!ZPos 1] to [!ZPos 2] in the OnRefreshAction, you should be able to test that fairly easily.

The reason I made that change is that I believe 'stay topmost' essentially changes the skin ZPosition every second or so (maybe even less, I'm not sure) to keep it on top and it was making the ColorPicker button I added flickers. (added this button so that you could close the colorpicker mode with it as per your suggestion and because well, that also just makes sense)

If it is a Zpos issue, I'm not sure what I can do to both keep the function to close it from the button and keep it at 'stay topmost', but i'll sleep on it and try some things this week.

If it isn't a Zpos issue, I'm not sure what else it could be. do you get any log error ?
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Nookz wrote: December 11th, 2023, 3:23 am Maybe you have a skin that is on 'stay topmost' and that's what making it appear like it's not working? That's the only thing I can think of right now at least.
I have one on topmost, not stay topmost. Changed it to normal, nothing changed.
Nookz wrote: December 11th, 2023, 3:23 amIf you open the Overlay.ini file and change [!ZPos 1] to [!ZPos 2] in the OnRefreshAction, you should be able to test that fairly easily.
Done. No change.

To explain:

Nothing happens when I press the Color Picker icon to activate the Overlay.
No error when pressing it though.
But when I load it I get this error:
Formula: "#MonitorPos#" is unknown: (#MonitorPos#+53+444) (ColorSelector_SampleSkin\ColorSelector\ColorSelector.ini)
Nookz

Post by Nookz »

Nothing happens when I press the Color Picker icon to activate the Overlay.
No error when pressing it though.
But when I load it I get this error:
Formula: "#MonitorPos#" is unknown: (#MonitorPos#+53+444) (ColorSelector_SampleSkin\ColorSelector\ColorSelector.ini)
Weird.. Since you're not getting any error when clicking the icon I assume the overlay is loading correctly..
the '#MonitorPos#' error tells me maybe I didn't upload the right version tho..
I updated the first post, again, just in case. This should at least solve the error on startup.

Out of curiosity, do you have multiple monitors or just one? If you only have the one I think I may know what's going on
Edit:Actually, scratch that. I think I figured it out. If you have no monitor with a negative X value, it probably would never start the colorpicker. I'm pretty sure the version I just uploaded should work now.

I had to implement that check in case people (like myself) have weird monitor layout with #CURRENTCONFIGX# returning negative values on some monitor, but didn't think to account for when people have normal setups. silly me ^^'
Edit2:Now that I think about it, maybe this can also cause issues if you have multiple monitors layout like this (1/3/2), but I'm not sure and I can't really test for that easily. If that's the case for you and it still doesn't work, let me know.
I'm extremely sorry you have to be redownloading everytime... :(
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Nookz wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:43 am Weird.. Since you're not getting any error when clicking the icon I assume the overlay is loading correctly..
the '#MonitorPos#' error tells me maybe I didn't upload the right version tho..
I updated the first post, again, just in case. This should at least solve the error on startup.

Out of curiosity, do you have multiple monitors or just one? If you only have the one I think I may know what's going on
Edit:Actually, scratch that. I think I figured it out. If you have no monitor with a negative X value, it probably would never start the colorpicker. I'm pretty sure the version I just uploaded should work now.

I had to implement that check in case people (like myself) have weird monitor layout with #CURRENTCONFIGX# returning negative values on some monitor, but didn't think to account for when people have normal setups. silly me ^^'
Edit2:Now that I think about it, maybe this can also cause issues if you have multiple monitors layout like this (1/3/2), but I'm not sure and I can't really test for that easily. If that's the case for you and it still doesn't work, let me know.
I'm extremely sorry you have to be redownloading everytime... :(
I do have 2 monitors. I'll check this new version 👍🏼

Edit:
Yup, whatever you did made it. Now it works :thumbup:

Edit2: Well, kind of lol. I mean, no real problem but now that I test with my second monitor, if I move the mouse past 1\3 of the second screen it stops recognizing the pixels. Like if it had a limit. Not sure how to explain it lol
Nookz

Post by Nookz »

And it was not doing that before, right?
I'm a bit confused since the overlay by default should let you pick anywhere on the screen.. and also I haven't touched that part at all. :?
In the meantime, I guess a temporary solution would be to set either or both of those things manually inside the overlay.ini:
[!Move #VSCREENAREAX# #VSCREENAREAY#] to [!Move "0" "0"]
W=#VSCREENAREAWIDTH# to W=the combined width of all your monitors

That one might be hard for me to troubleshoot since I'm not getting that behaviour on my end and I see nothing that can cause it either..

Maybe, if it's not too much to ask, you could run this simple skin and tell me if the log that it gives makes sense?:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
OnRefreshAction=[!Log "Virtual Screen Area Height: #VSCREENAREAWIDTH#"][!DeactivateConfig #CURRENTCONFIG#]

[Meter]
Meter=String
It should give you a value equals to both of your monitor width combined.

Either way.. I think I'll look at it more after I get some rest. ^^'
I'll post here if I find a solution, or at least what might be causing it.