It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:50 pm

[BUG] Rainmeter STALL (crash)

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Gradius

[BUG] Rainmeter STALL (crash)

Post by Gradius »

Version: Rainmeter 4.5.18.3727 (64-bit)

I use win11 x64 fully updated (including drivers).

On last version, Rainmeter stall after this step (proved more than once, always stall/crash):

Start your PC with NO Internet connection, keed the LAN cable connected though.

I use Proxmox (VM) and have pfSense on it (on a dedicated server [Xeon]), so it takes like 90 secs (or less) to be fully up (online).

My PC has a 14700K with m2 on it so it starts (fully boot) under win11 in seconds.

IF I start my PC (win11) BEFORE Proxmox is fully ready, Rainmeter tries to update the new IP by looking/searching for it. Once the Internet comes UP, Rainmeter just STALL.

I need to force end task it, and run rainmeter again, in order to get it working.

Please, check it out.

Thanks.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [BUG] Rainmeter STALL (crash)

Post by Yincognito »

Gradius wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:52 pmIF I start my PC (win11) BEFORE Proxmox is fully ready, Rainmeter tries to update the new IP by looking/searching for it. Once the Internet comes UP, Rainmeter just STALL.

I need to force end task it, and run rainmeter again, in order to get it working.
So, it basically hangs and its process needs to be terminated from Task Manager. Just curious, does this happen if you have no skins loaded whatsoever (i.e. only the executable running)?
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Gradius

Post by Gradius »

I didn't test w/o any skin, I'm using few, and I'm pretty sure they are updated.

The only one I'm using are from Silverazide:
https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets

And the last version is 7.6 since Oct 7, 2023.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Gradius wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:44 pm The only one I'm using are from Silverazide:
For sure you're not using this in Rainmeter, because it's not a Rainmeter skin. But had been altered any of the skins of SilverAzide's Gadgets? Because as far as I know the skins of that package are stable, shouldn't have to have such issue, however what did you describe sounds like a skin failure. As Yincognito suggested above, you could try unloading the activated skins and retry. Try unloading only one skin at a time and retry after each such unloading (yep, I know this might be frustrating to restart the computer after each deactivation of a skin, but that's it). I assume at some point, you'll get Rainmeter not to crash anymore. If I'm right, come back please and post which was the last deactivated skin, which crashed Rainmeter as you've described it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Gradius wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:44 pm I didn't test w/o any skin, I'm using few, and I'm pretty sure they are updated.

Besides what balala mentioned, I would really try first with no skins loaded at all, just to know for sure if the issue is from Rainmeter itself. If not, you can try with each skin as described above. If in the end it's one of SilverAzide's skins, you can let him know of the issue here:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=20699
I share balala's opinion that SilverAzide's skins are one of the best in every sense, but then no skin designer can anticipate all the possibilities when running his skins on all kinds of system with all kinds of particularities. The good news is that most likely you can avoid the issue, we just need to know where it comes from, and for that, a bit of testing on your side is required.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

balala wrote: March 8th, 2024, 7:14 pm For sure you're not using this in Rainmeter, because it's not a Rainmeter skin.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are all Rainmeter skins... ;-)
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Gradius wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:44 pm I didn't test w/o any skin, I'm using few, and I'm pretty sure they are updated.

As others have mentioned, try unloading all skins except a simple Illustro skin. Restart your machine and see if the problem happens. If it doesn't, load ONE skin and restart to see if it happens. Keep repeating this process until you discover the one causing the problem. Let me know what you discover. Please post this in the main Gadgets thread, not here.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: March 9th, 2024, 1:58 am I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are all Rainmeter skins... ;-)
Right, but it seems I didn't check the bottom of the linked page. Just used this link to download:
Gadgets.png
Now I see there is another link as well, on which we can download Gadgets.
Sorry, my bad (as usually: again!)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.