It is currently May 8th, 2024, 2:14 pm

💥 New Security Certificate. Need some help 💥

Test and provide feedback on potential changes
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: 💥 New Security Certificate. Need some help 💥

Post by Yincognito »

Not sure if this is relevant since it might be specific to my system, but I have this in my Windows Settings:
Reputation.jpg
and I can download the file in this thread without any issue whatsoever. The Check Apps And Files might be disabled because I use another AV, and I tried enabling Potentially Unwanted App Blocking in the hope of getting the opposition you guys got in my Microsoft Edge (which just updated, obviously without asking me, so it's new) and nothing. I just can't break it, it insists in being a nice and obedient software in my presence, and downloads this prerelease version of Rainmeter like it was waiting for it since Microsoft ditched Internet Explorer... :lol:

So, you see, I'm making great efforts to contribute to this release's "reputation", but Edge just doesn't cause any trouble here... :confused:

EDIT: Alright, finally managed to make Edge a bad boy (though not as bad as I hoped), and a simple click on Keep was all it took to download this prerelease version of Rainmeter (no need for additional steps like above). I hope my "vote" for Rainmeter counts in the grand Microsoft scheme of things. :sly:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Thanks Yincognito,

Yeah, as long as you are forcing it past SmartScreen (which is called by Microsoft Edge when you download it) your download / install will help
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:36 pm Thanks Yincognito,

Yeah, as long as you are forcing it past SmartScreen (which is called by Microsoft Edge when you download it) your download / install will help
Great! :great:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:36 pm
Weirdly, on my home machine I can't get Edge OR Chrome to download the file (forcing it to save with "Keep" doesn't work either).
Screenshot 2024-02-21 165325.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:56 pm Weirdly, on my home machine I can't get Edge OR Chrome to download the file (forcing it to save with "Keep" doesn't work either).

eclectic-tech had a similar issue, and found that after using "Keep" he then rebooted and was able to download it without issue. You might try that, but don't sweat it too much.

We are looking at some changes to how we do the build and how we apply certificates to "internal" .dll files to see if we can resolve the antivirus issue. No ETA on that, but poiru is working with GitHub on it.

In the meantime, downloading this one still helps, as we will still be using that certificate and will still need "reputation" to be built.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:56 pm Weirdly, on my home machine I can't get Edge OR Chrome to download the file (forcing it to save with "Keep" doesn't work either).

Besides what jsmorley said, if it isn't that, maybe your security (Windows Defender or any other you got) is set to automatically take an action (like removing) when such a "threat" is detected? Just guessing here, not much of an expert in some MS security software (though I do use their Firewall with some enhancements).
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: February 21st, 2024, 10:03 pm eclectic-tech had a similar issue, and found that after using "Keep" he then rebooted and was able to download it without issue. You might try that, but don't sweat it too much.

We are looking at some changes to how we do the build and how we apply certificates to "internal" .dll files to see if we can resolve the antivirus issue.

In the meantime, downloading this one still helps, as we will still be using that certificate and will still need "reputation" to be built.
I was finally able to get the file to save by going into Windows Security(or whatever they are calling it now) and there's an option in the "Protection History" list to allow the file to download anyway. After I selected "Allow", I was able to re-download the file and save it successfully.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It is our hope that if everyone downloads and installs it a couple / few times a day, we should be over the hump with "reputation" in a few days.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 21st, 2024, 10:13 pm It is our hope that if everyone downloads and installs it a couple / few times a day, we should be over the hump with "reputation" in a few days.
For the record, I tried downloading & installing it another 5 times today, and by the 2nd time I wasn't getting the Keep option anymore, it just downloaded without any opposition (in Edge). Chrome wasn't opposing it from the start, so no change. I doubt that the "reputation" was built that fast or poiru already completed the work on it with GitHub, so I reckon that maybe more time needs to pass between attempts?

P.S. The install always produced the UAC prompt ("blah blah blah, it's downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?"), but that's normal and I wouldn't rate it as having much connection with Smart Screen and the Edge / online part of the process.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: February 21st, 2024, 10:33 pm For the record, I tried downloading & installing it another 5 times today, and by the 2nd time I wasn't getting the Keep option anymore, it just downloaded without any opposition (in Edge). Chrome wasn't opposing it from the start, so no change. I doubt that the "reputation" was built that fast or poiru already completed the work on it with GitHub, so I reckon that maybe more time needs to pass between attempts?

P.S. The install always produced the UAC prompt ("blah blah blah, it's downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?"), but that's normal and I wouldn't rate it as having much connection with Smart Screen and the Edge / online part of the process.
Strange how each of us has a slightly different experience with this. Microsoft Edge barks and requires the "Keep" step each time I do it.