It is currently May 9th, 2024, 12:59 am

💥 New Security Certificate. Need some help 💥

Test and provide feedback on potential changes
Brian
Developer

Re: 💥 New Security Certificate. Need some help 💥

Post by Brian »

I think we have earned enough reputation, so hopefully this is all behind us going forward (until we use a different EV certificate, or we jump to an OV certificate).

I have had some of these issues on several of my machines (mainly my Windows 10 machines), but now all seems to be okay. Curiously, my Windows 7 VM never had an issue with smartscreen....and neither did one of my severely out-of-date Windows 10 installation (but once I updated, it had the same issues as the others).

I am not sure if the "reputation check" happens on installation, or is part of the Windows Defender update (which I did on all my machines before attempting to install this test version). I would recommend updating your Windows Defender definitions before trying to install this again.

The development team would to thank all of you for your help in getting this resolved!!

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yes, it looks like the certificate has built enough reputation. I'm not sure what impact this alone will have on the antivirus issue, maybe not. Let us know if it is still barking about virus detection.

Thanks a ton for all the help!!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:05 pm Let us know if it is still barking about virus detection.
No problems anymore here, it seems.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:05 pm Let us know if it is still barking about virus detection.
I used the downloaded executable on my phone on VirusTotal, and it looks like the "Microsoft" scan is green and "Undetected" now as well, so I reckon no problem from Defender anymore, if up to date.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

All good now. Ran Windows Update first to get the latest virus definitions, and no more complaints.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 2:08 pm All good now. Ran Windows Update first to get the latest virus definitions, and no more complaints.
Excellent!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:05 pmI'm not sure what impact this alone will have on the antivirus issue, maybe not.
Yincognito wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 1:26 pm I used the downloaded executable on my phone on VirusTotal, and it looks like the "Microsoft" scan is green and "Undetected" now as well, so I reckon no problem from Defender anymore, if up to date.
Although I did check both the "cached" and the "reanalyzed" results for the file in the first post when uploading it on VirusTotal from my phone earlier and they both came out as green / undetected for "Microsoft", doing this now from my laptop produced "interesting" (or, should I say, highly volatile, to put it mildly) results:
screencapture-virustotal-gui-file-77a917642cef38da8a272e177692c2c1690e9a81dcaf16b542586ccca03dac57-2024-02-23-18_13_56.jpg
I know that it's the validation when downloading which is the main focus in this case, but notice how there's still a detection for "Microsoft" (even though the same file uploaded from my phone produced undetected), as well as unflagging from some vendors and flagging by others, compared with the results I posted here.

EDIT: Another "interesting" result is that, for a reanalysis of 3 minutes apart, the file downloaded using Chrome's own system yields "Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml" (just as before the "reputation" was achieved), while the same file downloaded using my download manager (Internet Download Manager) from the same Chrome yields "Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml". If anyone wonders, the files are exactly the same, when compared with Total Commander's compare by content (basically, binary / bit by bit comparison). :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Thanks a ton for all the help!!
Still preventing download on Win 10 Home (Updated this morning) and Microsoft Defender Antivirus updated:
virusupdated.jpg
And I have a download attempt from 4/22/2024 of the released Rainmeter that will not respond to quarantine or remove...
Defender says it is "active" and even an off-line scan didn't remove it.

I can live with this, but wanted to let you know the file is still not downloadable for me if I do not defeat antivirus settings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

So it's looking good on the certificate, now we just need to see if this solves the antivirus issue, or if there are other steps we need to take.

I have created a new build of the software and put it in the first post of this thread:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=221656#p221656

Can we get another bit of help, and have you guys download and install this and let us know if there were any issues with your antivirus? Be sure to update your antivirus definitions before starting.

Thanks!!!

FYI, worked perfectly for me on Windows 11 with the default Windows Defender.

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-Bit)
Version 23H2
Build 22631.3155
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 9:18 pm Can we get another bit of help, and have you guys download and install this and let us know if there were any issues with your antivirus? Be sure to update your antivirus definitions before starting.
No problems on my side this time, but I'm not using the default Windows Defender, but ESET Internet Security instead.

Same version of Windows:
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Version 23H2
Build 22631.3155