It is currently May 9th, 2024, 2:10 am

💥 New Security Certificate. Need some help 💥

Test and provide feedback on potential changes
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: 💥 New Security Certificate. Need some help 💥

Post by eclectic-tech »

No problem downloading and installing the latest version on Win10 Home and Windows Defender. :thumbup:

EDIT: No problem downloading and installing the latest version on

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.4046
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 9:18 pm I have created a new build of the software and put it in the first post of this thread:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=221656#p221656

Can we get another bit of help, and have you guys download and install this and let us know if there were any issues with your antivirus? Be sure to update your antivirus definitions before starting.
I downloaded Rainmeter 4.5.19.3742 with three browsers:

Brave Version 1.62.165 (64-bit)
Mozilla Firefox 123.0 (64-bit)
Pale Moon Version 33.0.0 (64 bit)

No complaints or messages from any of them. Installed it on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (build 19045.4046) with no messages from Windows Defender or Kaspersky Anti Virus (updated virus definitions).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 9:18 pm Can we get another bit of help, and have you guys download and install this and let us know if there were any issues with your antivirus? Be sure to update your antivirus definitions before starting.
My Defender won't update as the other zillion MS stuff requesting connection for that are prevented to do so (don't want my stable Win 10 to become Win 11 or other unpleasant surprise happening overnight), but on VirusTotal only two vendors (the hopeless BitDefender Theta and the unknown Rising) still flag this latest release, on both my phone and my laptop, so it's all good. The browsers, as usual, are fine with this release too. My AV(ast) didn't detect it before and doesn't detect it now either, and its virus signatures are up to date. I'm on Win 10 21H1 Build 19043.1202 and there's definitely a major improvement in terms of AV detection in this release. :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 9:18 pm Can we get another bit of help, and have you guys download and install this and let us know if there were any issues with your antivirus? Be sure to update your antivirus definitions before starting.

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-Bit)
Version 23H2
Build 22631.3155
All good from my end. Same OS/version as yours.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 9:18 pm[...] and let us know if there were any issues with your antivirus [...]
In case it matters, I just got this when trying to install a (clean) skin:
SkinInstaller.jpg
I'm used to some of these "shields" being a little obsessed with otherwise normal things when it comes to this product, but still, as far as I recall, this didn't happen with the skin installer executable from the previous Rainmeter version. Not sure if it helps or is relevant to the subject here, but you said to let you know of any issues, so here is (a minor) one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thinkr8

Post by Thinkr8 »

I didn't have any issues. I downloaded this new version (Rainmeter 4.5.19.3742 64-bit) with Google Chrome Portable Version 122.0.6261.70 (Official Build) (32-bit), scanned it with Windows Defender Security Intelligence Version 1.405.671.0 Updated 02/27/2024, installed it on my Windows 11 Pro Version 23H2 Build 22631.3155 and have no warnings, un-wanted behavior, and or any bug's making themselves evident as of 6 hours ago. :)
Someone said, "Your thinking too much, so I thought more."
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: February 27th, 2024, 10:25 am In case it matters, I just got this when trying to install a (clean) skin:
SkinInstaller.jpg
I'm used to some of these "shields" being a little obsessed with otherwise normal things when it comes to this product, but still, as far as I recall, this didn't happen with the skin installer executable from the previous Rainmeter version. Not sure if it helps or is relevant to the subject here, but you said to let you know of any issues, so here is (a minor) one.
I assume this is related to Avast's variant of this:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=157423&hilit=protected+folder#p157423

Presumably, if you "allow" SkinInstaller.exe to access protected folders like Documents once, it will be fine from then on. Can't say for sure, as I have not run Avast for probably 20 years.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 27th, 2024, 6:40 pm I assume this is related to Avast's variant of this:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=157423&hilit=protected+folder#p157423

Presumably, if you "allow" SkinInstaller.exe to access protected folders like Documents once, it will be fine from then on. Can't say for sure, as I have not run Avast for probably 20 years.
Oh, that makes perfect sense - thanks for the link and explanation, they're spot on as usual. I already allowed the executable and it's perfectly fine as expected. :thumbup:

I posted this not necessarily because of the message / action itself, I was referring more to the fact that I didn't need to do it for the previous Rainmeter version. On a second thought though, this might not necessarily be about the new version triggering the alert on its own, but rather the AV reacting to the executable being different than the one in its "database" of known executables on my system...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:19 pm Oh, that makes perfect sense - thanks for the link and explanation, they're spot on as usual. I already allowed the executable and it's perfectly fine as expected. :thumbup:

I posted this not necessarily because of the message / action itself, I was referring more to the fact that I didn't need to do it for the previous Rainmeter version. On a second thought though, this might not necessarily be about the new version triggering the alert on its own, but rather the AV reacting to the executable being different than the one in its "database" of known executables on my system...
Right. The other issue is that the only executable that we are currently "signing" with a certificate is the installer that you download. There are a couple of .exe files (Rainmeter.exe and SkinInstaller.exe) for example, that are extracted and delivered as a part of the installation process, and while they won't trigger the SmartScreen stuff that is all about "downloads", they could get some extra scrutiny from some tools since they are not digitally signed. We are looking at correcting this, but it might take a little while.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: February 28th, 2024, 10:29 pm Right. The other issue is that the only executable that we are currently "signing" with a certificate is the installer that you download. There are a couple of .exe files (Rainmeter.exe and SkinInstaller.exe) for example, that are extracted and delivered as a part of the installation process, and while they won't trigger the SmartScreen stuff that is all about "downloads", they could get some extra scrutiny from some tools since they are not digitally signed. We are looking at correcting this, but it might take a little while.
That explains it indeed - thanks. Time is not a problem, the important thing is that it can be done. :great: