It is currently May 17th, 2024, 10:05 am

Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
sgtevmckay

Re: Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Post by sgtevmckay »

Oh boy folks

We are just rolling right along with the approvals.
I just received email confirming that not only do we have authorization to use the "iTunes COM for Windows SDK", but that we are encouraged do so if it meets any of our needs.

The iTunes COM for Windows SDK is under Apple's equivalent of an Open Source Software agreement, but since it was developed by their staff, so far as credit is given to Apple Corp. for their work in the development.
Of course I could not promise more than a listing here at this forum, and the folks at Apple are fine with this.

This post now officially serves as credit given for the use of Apple's iTunes COM for Windows SDK, developed by Apple Application and Development team.

Have fun folks, and apologies for the approval to have taken so long :D
===========================================================================================
sgtevmckay wrote:Requests for an iTunes controller have been floating around for years, apparently no one has built one for Rainmeter.

We are looking for someone to build a skin, and if necessary a plugin (dll) for this. With the help of btodoroff, and Dragonmage, I have made available the apple COM SDK for Windows package for iTunes controll

It can be downloaded here:
http://magisesse.com/rainmeter.aspx
The package to download will be:
iTunes SDK Package (Zip)

As of this time I have not gone through the package, but it is virus free, also it is the latest iTunes COM SDK for Windows from Apple.

Apple's description is as follows:
iTunes COM for Windows SDK (ZIP) 267 KB 2008-07-15
This SDK provides header files, documentation, and sample JScript files demonstrating how to use the iTunes for Windows COM interface. COM is the Microsoft technology, similar to AppleScript on Mac OS, that allows programmatic control of iTunes from languages like JScript, Visual Basic, C#, and C++. This SDK requires iTunes for Windows version 4.7 or later.
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

@elestel
I am getting an unhandled exception error followed by a crash if i try to run the skin when iTunes is not open. This also happens if I press the power button on the skin. Running WindowsXP SP3 here, with iTunes 8.2

Other than those minor hiccups this plugin seems very powerful, power to you for putting the work behind it.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Crash confirmed on loading the new skin version.
Interesting to note, the old skin loads with the new .dll. The playlist items display as Type Incorrect. The controls work and current track info displays properly. I'll try to look into the new skin when I get a chance to see if I can find the problem.
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

The crash problem has been fixed. Forgot to check iTunes instance first in some cases...
http://www.mirimo.org/project-itunesplugin.html

P.S. In last version (June 1) I change some keywords so the older skin can not display playlist items properly.
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

this plugin is coming along great, i would love to see you get an artwork measure to work. I looked at the API and it doesn't look like an easy task. Apparently it does not give you a full path to the current artwork. Instead you have to have it save the current track's artwork in a path you provide. So i guess the measure should just return the path where you save the artwork locally.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Wat too many emotional roller coasters today
:D :cry:

I am finally getting the opportunity to work with the skin

So far I am impressed.
Excellent work.

So far I have only found one discrepancy, and this may be known (if it is my apologies)

the on/off from the skin works like a champ.

Problem I hit was when I close iTunes directly (outside from the skin)
Screenshot - 7_3_2009 , 1_59_35 PM.jpg
The results are the same in Vista 32bit and Windows 7 RC1 64bit

I will keep testing and get back to you

Is there anything specific I should test for ?
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Just got to testing the newest version. I noticed if you hit the fast forward button there is no way to stop it except to hit the rewind button. If you do not hit rewind it will continue to fast forward to the end of the track, hitting play, pause, or stop has no effect. While rewinding play, pause and stop work as expected.
It's too bad Rainmeter can't do sliders...

Did you find a way to show/hide the iTunes window?
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

New version
http://www.mirimo.org/project-itunesplugin.html

Add artwork support (display first image of the artwork only)
Close iTunes problem: probably fixed
Fast-forward problem: probably fixed
Show/hide iTunes window: click the info panel
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

@elestel
excellent work! the artwork display is working flawlessly, and it adds endless possibilities for this plugin.
Other features:
Close itunes 'problem' is still there, i dont think it is a big deal since you have the option to close itunes through the skin.
Fast-Forward problem - this looks like it is fixed on my end, pressing play stops the forwarding
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I don't really use iTunes, so i have no artwork to display. Why it doesn't check for any images in the folder with the songs I don't know.

I can confirm the fast foward bug is fixed.