It is currently May 19th, 2024, 1:08 am

Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Post by dragonmage »

Just noticed something you may be able to do something about. If a track doesn't have artwork it shows the artwork of the previous track.

Would there be any way you could let skinners specify an image to use if no artwork is found? I thought of using an If statement but those require an integer and I'm not sure they can handle a null value.

Related:
The artwork does not go away when you close iTunes.

Also, the iTunes toggle does not seem to be working.
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

Version of July 27
http://www.mirimo.org/project-itunesplugin.html

Add default artwork image path (must be relative path to Rainmeter.exe) as a parameter of the artwork measure.
Now the artwork meter will display the image if iTunes is not running or artwork is not available.

@ahilton12: my skin update itself per 1000ms. So the time displayed could have a maximum lag of 1000ms. You could simply modify line 3 from Update=1000 to Update=100 or something like that.

@dragonmage: I only add the toggle meter as the info panel in remote.ini. It should work without problem if iTunes is running.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

elestel wrote:Version of July 27
http://www.mirimo.org/project-itunesplugin.html

Add default artwork image path (must be relative path to Rainmeter.exe) as a parameter of the artwork measure.
Now the artwork meter will display the image if iTunes is not running or artwork is not available.

@ahilton12: my skin update itself per 1000ms. So the time displayed could have a maximum lag of 1000ms. You could simply modify line 3 from Update=1000 to Update=100 or something like that.

@dragonmage: I only add the toggle meter as the info panel in remote.ini. It should work without problem if iTunes is running.
Elestel... We are in the process of putting together a new "release" of Rainmeter, and would like very much to include your iTunes plugin in the build. If you are interested in this, we need a couple of things:

1) The source code. We would want to put the source in the version control software's "trunk" so it can be compiled when we build new versions of Rainmeter. To be included in the Rainmeter build it is required that your code be released under the GPL (GNU Public License), which is explained here: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

2) Any compiler directives which are different than the ones already set up when you download the Rainmeter source and compile using Rainmeter.sln as the "project". I assume you started with the Rainmeter source as a starting point and modified ExamplePlugin or added a new member to the project for your plugin? If so, everything should compile fine as is, If you changed any compiler directives to support something in your code, we would need to know that.

3) A compiled version of the .dll, so we can compare and be sure the one we compile in the build process is the same as your compiled version.

If you are ok with this, you can either post links to .zip files with what we need here, or send me a PM if you would prefer.

Need to get this done in the next 4 or 5 days though, as that is the schedule we have in mind for the release.
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

Source code:
http://www.mirimo.org/iTunesPlugin-src_2009-07-27.zip

Win32 binary:
http://www.mirimo.org/iTunesPlugin-win32_2009-07-27.zip

You can simply add the .vcproj into Rainmeter solution.
The Win32 platform should compile fine without any changes.
However I don't have Win64 development environment so can't tell if there is any problem in x64.

Besides, there are two source files from iTunes SDK not included in the zip.
I don't know if we can redistribute it freely or under some license.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

elestel wrote:Source code:
http://www.mirimo.org/iTunesPlugin-src_2009-07-27.zip

Win32 binary:
http://www.mirimo.org/iTunesPlugin-win32_2009-07-27.zip

You can simply add the .vcproj into Rainmeter solution.
The Win32 platform should compile fine without any changes.
However I don't have Win64 development environment so can't tell if there is any problem in x64.

Besides, there are two source files from iTunes SDK not included in the zip.
I don't know if we can redistribute it freely or under some license.
Well if you are not sure we can distribute everything needed to compile it, we might have to not include it in the release until we can sort that out. I will let Rainy weigh in on this and see what he thinks.
gschoppe
Developer

Post by gschoppe »

I know that the issue is not decided by majority, but several other open source projects appear to be using this COM SDK... so we're likely fine
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

It would be really nice to have this be a part of the new Rainmeter, if you can't release the source for just the iTunes COM SDK, I think you should just release the plugin without that and just add a note. Any DLLs(binaries) should be fine because once it's compiled its yours to distribute.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I certainly have no idea what the terms of Apple's SDK are. Maybe elestel can do a little digging and see. The problem in a legal sense comes not from distributing the .dll which used the source from the SDK to build it. That is certainly not a problem. The issue is with putting the SDK source (or a very small subset of the source) in the "trunk" which is completely available for anyone to download and build their own version of Rainmeter if they want. Since there is no opportunity for a person in this circumstance to agree to the "terms and conditions" of the SDK (whatever they are) as they would when downloading the entire SDK from Apple, this might be considered a violation of the terms under which the SDK is released. I just don't know.

I am open to any solution here. If elestel can determine that it is ok to put the SDK source in the trunk so we can build the plugin as part of the rainmeter build, that would solve everything. If not, then Rainy would need to weigh in on whether he is comfortable with putting the plugin in the build as a pre-compiled .dll. From a technical perspective this is not a problem, but I think Rainy's goal is to keep Rainmeter "open source". If Rainy is ok with this, problem solved even if not perfectly. If not, perhaps Kaelri can just include the plugin in his "Enigma" skin as a compiled .dll and it can be distributed in a combination of that and as a direct link here on the forums where elestel can keep it current.
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

The SDK files might not be redistributed under GPL if my understanding of the EULA is correct.
From the EULA of the iTunes COM SDK:
2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. You may use the Apple Software to (i) test the Apple Software, and (ii) to develop application software that is compatible with, and runs on the same platform as, the Apple Software. You have no right to modify, incorporate into or compile in combination with your own programs, license or otherwise distribute any portion of the Apple Software unless the Licensing Info folder (if any) included with the Apple Software expressly authorizes you to do so.

@sgtevmckay: I remember that you receive some sort of approval from Apple. Does that include redistribution as well?
Saxamaphone

Post by Saxamaphone »

Figured I should keep this here, elestel I appreciate your effort for helping everyone out with this wonderful plugin, very impressive work and I hope to see it continue.

I have one question though, it is possible to get the equaliser to display?
http://techii.deviantart.com/art/BigEQspectrum-92279947
Like techii has done for Winamp, but for iTunes.

(For those who don't know what i'm talking about, open iTunes, play a song, then in the song information bar in the center, press the play looking arrow and it should change to equalisation bars)

Just a suggestion feature that would be really cool to have. If it can't be done, I still won't be disapointed.