It is currently May 17th, 2024, 6:51 am

Need help making random quote display

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
UrLordAndMaster

Re: Need help making random quote display

Post by UrLordAndMaster »

Hello,

yes im aware this is a very old thread but Im pretty sure this is exactly what i need to get what im looking for :D

my wife wants a quote generator based off quotes she puts in a text file. i have found several programs and tried them, none of them seem to work well for me so i have tried mixing them together to make a frankenstine like program and its not working too well either.

I have tried both the Plugin=Plugins\QuotePlugin.dll and the Plugin=WebParser.dll both have nice effects but not what im looking for.

Im looking for the random effects of the QuotePlugin to be specific. But thus far anytime i use it i cant get the text to cooperate and stay in a small dynamic box. It always wants to run in a single line sometimes completely off screen for the larger quotes.

I have attached a file here:
My Attempts Thus Far.zip
this is the code i have used/edited. One of them i was copy pasta from the code given above by "jsmorley" (TY by the way, ive seen you post a lot on the quote stuff ive been having problems with)

Please help me out, im simi-new to RM. (been about a month i think) i dont develop much but i do understand the code for the most part.

[Edit] Apparently it wasnt this thread i got the code that jsmorley posted. But it IS him/her i took it from. [/Edit]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fragrant.monkey

Re: Need help making random quote display

Post by fragrant.monkey »

Hi.

Here's a mod of your skin to hopefully achieve what you are after.

- I used the QuotePlugin version... as that is exactly what it is for... I don't know how to get 'random' quotes via WebParser. And it would probably be over complicated if you could...
- If I understand correctly, mostly you were having problems with the text running off to the right? If the 'area' of the skin has sufficient HEIGHT the text will wrap as needed...
- I added a 'backdrop' to help see where everything lays out.
- I used - Jim Morrison as the delimiter on the plugin measure as it automatically removes it from the quoted text (redundant as they are all quotes from JM anyway...), and every single quote in the original text document contains this at the end of the line.

Does this help? If not, please ask away... this is only the first time I've attempted to help another with their coding... :confused:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Author=
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Metadata]
Name=JSQuotes
Config=JSQuotes
Description=Jim Morrison quotes every 10 seconds
Instructions=Right click text to open text file with quotes.  Middle click to refresh. Left click to speak.
Version=March 29, 2012
License=

[Variables]
TitleColor=255,255,255,255
TitleFont=Trebuchet MS
BodyColor=255,255,255
BodyFont=Trebuchet MS
BodyFontColor=255,0,0,255
FontSize=15
StringEffect=NONE
StringStyle=BOLD
StringAlign=LEFT
Width=400
Height=120
AntiAlias=1

[MeasureRandomQuote]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\QuotePlugin.dll
PathName="#CURRENTPATH#JimMorrisonQuotes.txt"
UpdateDivider=10
Separator=" - Jim Morrison"

[Backdrop]
Meter=IMAGE
SolidColor=0,0,0,100
X=0
Y=0
W=(#Width#+20)
H=200
MouseActionCursor=0
LeftMouseDoubleClickAction=!Refresh

[Line1]
Meter=IMAGE
SolidColor=#TitleColor#
X=10
Y=10
W=#Width#
H=1

[Title]
Meter=String
Text=Jim Morrison Quotes
X=(#Width#/2)
Y=3R
FontFace=#TitleFont#
FontSize=20
FontColor=#TitleColor#
StringStyle=NORMAL
StringAlign=CENTER
AntiAlias=1
Text=%1
SolidColor=0,0,0,1

[Line2]
Meter=IMAGE
SolidColor=#TitleColor#
X=10
Y=2R
W=#Width#
H=1

[Quote]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureRandomQuote
X=r
Y=3R
W=#Width#
;W=(#Width#-((#Width#/42)*2))  <--- huh?
H=#Height#
FontFace=#BodyFont#
FontSize=11
FontColor=#BodyColor#
StringStyle=NORMAL
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
RightMouseDownAction=!Execute ["#CURRENTPATH#JimMorrisonQuotes.txt"]
MiddleMouseDownAction=!RainmeterRefresh
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["#CURRENTPATH#SpeakingClock.exe" "[RandomQuote]"]
fragrant.monkey :: deviantArt: aka snuffleupagus | coding: ThemeSaver for RocketDock | musician: Madera Dulce