It is currently May 1st, 2024, 8:51 pm

Possible to expand/contract skin width from right edge instead of left? (Align)

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Possible to expand/contract skin width from right edge instead of left? (Align)

Post by Yincognito »

Crest wrote: April 27th, 2023, 5:45 pm Ah, thanks so much. This appears to be ideal and a very minimal change, too 👍
You're welcome - the manual always helps, you only have to figure out where to look at (just like using the right keywords when googling). ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Crest

Re: Possible to expand/contract skin width from right edge instead of left? (Align)

Post by Crest »

Just a heads-up to anyone coming across this thread. The SetAnchor approach is fine, however I'd advise against using it with the OnUpdateAction like the prior example, since I recently discovered it continually modifies the Rainmeter.ini. So if it's a clock with seconds that's every 1s, which presumably will contribute to SSD wear.

Noticed this via Everything v1.5's NTFS journal log. In hindsight I suppose it's obvious. If Rainmeter were able to compare before/after of value modifications before writing to file I guess it could mitigate unnecessary writes.

The SetAnchor value only needs to be set once, after which it will continue to be the anchor value unless subsequently modified.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Crest wrote: April 18th, 2024, 1:57 pm The SetAnchor value only needs to be set once, after which it will continue to be the anchor value unless subsequently modified.
Correct.
Crest wrote: April 18th, 2024, 1:57 pm So if it's a clock with seconds that's every 1s, which presumably will contribute to SSD wear.
The SSD wear is not a concern though, the volume of Rainmeter writes to a little .ini is insignificant compared to the amount of writes to that SSD by other parts of the OS and installed programs.

As an example, a cheap SSD like my 500 GB Crucial one (where I keep the OS, programs, games, and occasionally store the GB that don't fit on my 1 TB internal HDD) has a 150 TBW (terabytes written) limit, and in the almost 3 years of use up to now, the SMART values in my HWiNFO64 report around 11 TB total writes on the drive, and 95% lifetime left. I only installed Win 10 x64 once during that 3 year period, by the way.

My 1 TB internal HDD has 16 TB total writes on it in the roughly 6 years since 2018, so it appears it can be upgraded to a Seagate / Kingston 1 TB SSD with a 300 TBW limit as well (something I didn't do till now based on the same reasoning as yours, that the amounts of writes on it would make it an unsuited candidate for upgrading - until I did the math, that is).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Crest wrote: April 18th, 2024, 1:57 pm The SetAnchor value only needs to be set once, after which it will continue to be the anchor value unless subsequently modified.
You can use defaultAnchorX=100% on the [rainmeter] section and it will set the correct anchor only once when the skin is activated for the first time instead of the OnUpdateAction. Or, you can simply write AnchorX=100% on the rainmeter.ini file under your skin [section].