It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 9:30 pm

Using Text= with [MeterUserName]

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Alexletiti

Re: Using Text= with [MeterUserName]

Post by Alexletiti »

Good morning.
On Illustra I can't find how to increase the width. Is it possible to make an automatic width?
THANKS.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alexletiti wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 10:13 pm On Illustra I can't find how to increase the width. Is it possible to make an automatic width?
What you mean by "automatic width"? Would you like the skin to extend horizontally according to the length of some text? And which skin of illustra package would you like to apply this to?
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

balala wrote: April 24th, 2024, 3:19 pm What you mean by "automatic width"? Would you like the skin to extend horizontally according to the length of some text? And which skin of illustra package would you like to apply this to?

Good morning.
Yes I would like either to have a larger fixed horizontal length, or a normal sized horizontal length but which extends if necessary.
I started from a file to obtain the name of the pc. (View the photo)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alexletiti wrote: April 24th, 2024, 6:59 pm Good morning.
Yes I would like either to have a larger fixed horizontal length, or a normal sized horizontal length but which extends if necessary.
I started from a file to obtain the name of the pc. (View the photo)
Getting a wider skin is quite simple, I think. You have to move right the strings shown on the right side of the meter, by increasing their X position value. However a lot of things might be involved here, which should be taken into account.
To extend the skin, it's a much harder thing.
In any case what I ask is which is the skin you want to extend (because the illustra package has lot of skins, if I'm not mistaken)? You also should post a link where we can download the package you are using, because illustra might have much variants (once again, I hope I'm not mistaken).
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

balala wrote: April 24th, 2024, 7:27 pm Getting a wider skin is quite simple, I think. You have to move right the strings shown on the right side of the meter, by increasing their X position value. However a lot of things might be involved here, which should be taken into account.
To extend the skin, it's a much harder thing.
In any case what I ask is which is the skin you want to extend (because the illustra package has lot of skins, if I'm not mistaken)? You also should post a link where we can download the package you are using, because illustra might have much variants (once again, I hope I'm not mistaken).

Good morning.
Here is the link to download the Illustra skin modified to display the PC name:

https://we.tl/t-BdwJsm9AVW

THANKS.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:15 pm Here is the link to download the Illustra skin modified to display the PC name:
I don't see what would you like to extend. Both String meters ([meterTitle] and [MeterUserName]) are centered (through the StringAlign=CENTER option of the [styleTitle] and [styleLeftText] sections of the illustra\@Resources\Includes\style.inc included file). The lengths of these meters are not variable (at least not for a given computer), so what should be extended? Doesn't really make sense.
Or you would like to have a wider field, to can show a longer computer name as well?

Additional tip: recommend to add a BackgroundMode=2 and a SolidColor=0,0,0,1 (this color is just an example, you can use any other, if you want) option to the [Rainmeter] section, to get a non-visible, but clickable background for the whole skin. So far it's extremely hard to click or right click the skin.
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

balala wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:07 pm I don't see what would you like to extend. Both String meters ([meterTitle] and [MeterUserName]) are centered (through the StringAlign=CENTER option of the [styleTitle] and [styleLeftText] sections of the illustra\@Resources\Includes\style.inc included file). The lengths of these meters are not variable (at least not for a given computer), so what should be extended? Doesn't really make sense.
Or you would like to have a wider field, to can show a longer computer name as well?
Yes I would like the field to be wider so that depending on the size of the PC name, the name is visible and fits in the box.
And I also increased the font size.
So I need a wider column.
THANKS.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:17 pm Yes I would like the field to be wider so that depending on the size of the PC name, the name is visible and fits in the box.
Alright, do the followings:
  • Move right little bit the String meters, by increasing the value of their X option. For instance try X=((250*#Scale#)/2) on the [meterTitle] meter (see below the X option of the [MeterUserName] meter). But you can usen an even larger value if needed.
  • Replace the X option of the [MeterUserName] by X=0r. This way you get these meters positioned at the same point and there is no need to worry on the position of this meter.
  • Increase the width of both meters to the same value. If you set the X option of the [meterTitle] meter to X=((250*#Scale#)/2), as recommended above, set the width of both meters ([meterTitle] and [MeterUserName]) to W=(294*#Scale#).
  • Finally increase the width of the whole skin, by replacing the SkinWidth option of the [Rainmeter] section by SkinWidth=(250*#Scale#).
Note here that the value used on both options (X and SkinWidth) ahs to be 6 pixel larger than the value used on the W options.
Did you succeeded in getting the skin larger / wider?
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

balala wrote: April 25th, 2024, 7:08 pm Note here that the value used on both options (X and SkinWidth) ahs to be 6 pixel larger than the value used on the W options.
Did you succeeded in getting the skin larger / wider?

It's okay, I succeeded with your proposed values.
On the other hand, I didn't understand how to make X and SkinWidth (250) 6 pixels larger than W (294).
Can you tell me if I put 300 for X and SkinWidth, what value should I put for W?
THANKS.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:21 pm On the other hand, I didn't understand how to make X and SkinWidth (250) 6 pixels larger than W (294).
Very good point there. Yep, my bad, I miswrote those values. Obviously you are right. Use 244 on W options, instead of 294, to get a small not used part on both sides of the meterts. And one more I'd add: a #Scale# factor to W options of the [MeterUserName] meter, because so far only [meterTitle] has it. So:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
SkinWidth=(250*#Scale#)

[meterTitle]
X=((250*#Scale#)/2)
W=(244*#Scale#)

[MeterUserName]
X=0r
W=(244*#Scale#)
Obviously here I posted only the altered options, but all others have to be kept.
Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:21 pm Can you tell me if I put 300 for X and SkinWidth, what value should I put for W?
294 for instance. The basic idea, as explained above as well, is to get the meters little bit narrower than the skin and this way to have a small not used part on both sides of the meters.