It is currently May 5th, 2024, 2:30 pm

WiFi IP address

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Alexletiti

WiFi IP address

Post by Alexletiti »

Hello.I'm using Network from the original Illustro skin.
It works fine when I'm connected to the internet via cable.
However, when I switch to wifi, I no longer have anything displayed.

Is it possible for it to change automatically to display the IP address, up and down whether in wifi or ethernet?
And is it possible to also have a line indicating whether it is wifi or ethernet?

Thanks for your help.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: WiFi IP address

Post by SilverAzide »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:22 pm Hello.I'm using Network from the original Illustro skin.

Is it possible for it to change automatically to display the IP address, up and down whether in wifi or ethernet?
And is it possible to also have a line indicating whether it is wifi or ethernet?

Thanks for your help.
Sure, all that is very possible. See the example network skin for more info: Network Skin.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:22 pm Hello.I'm using Network from the original Illustro skin.
I'm surprised, because I never connect via a cable, just through Wi-Fi, but the skin works well (and I can say it always did, even if I didn't check it too frequently), so it seems the the Wi-Fi connection shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe try refreshing the skin when you switch the connection? Does this help?
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

balala wrote: April 25th, 2024, 7:16 pm I'm surprised, because I never connect via a cable, just through Wi-Fi, but the skin works well (and I can say it always did, even if I didn't check it too frequently), so it seems the the Wi-Fi connection shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe try refreshing the skin when you switch the connection? Does this help?

I just retested, in ethernet it works.
When I switch to wifi, I lose the IP info. And if I refresh, the public ip gets weird.
As soon as I plug the cable back in, everything is immediately fine again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

SilverAzide wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:41 pm Sure, all that is very possible. See the example network skin for more info: Network Skin.

I haven't seen how to replace Interface=Best with to indicate Wifi or Ethernet.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:29 pm I haven't seen how to replace Interface=Best with to indicate Wifi or Ethernet.
The idea is that you don't. Leave it at "Best" so it will auto-select your active network adapter.

Based on your description and screenshots, I suspect your problem could be that your WiFi adapter is using IPv6, while your Ethernet adapter is using IPv4. The skin(s) you are using make a call to a website to get your external IP, and that site only responds with IPv4 addresses. You can confirm by going to https://whatismyipaddress.com, which will report both IPv4 and IPv6, if/when available.

It's a little weird that your internal IP on your wireless is returning blank, but perhaps it's possible if your setup is IPv6-only.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Alexletiti

Post by Alexletiti »

SilverAzide wrote: April 25th, 2024, 11:05 pm The idea is that you don't. Leave it at "Best" so it will auto-select your active network adapter.

Based on your description and screenshots, I suspect your problem could be that your WiFi adapter is using IPv6, while your Ethernet adapter is using IPv4. The skin(s) you are using make a call to a website to get your external IP, and that site only responds with IPv4 addresses. You can confirm by going to https://whatismyipaddress.com, which will report both IPv4 and IPv6, if/when available.

It's a little weird that your internal IP on your wireless is returning blank, but perhaps it's possible if your setup is IPv6-only.

I just disabled IPV6 on wired, wifi and cellular network card.
I must have a problem with my wifi because the switch works between the wired network and the cellular network.
On the other hand, I have to update the skin to see the change in IP address.
Is there a way to update the skin every X seconds?

THANKS.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Alexletiti wrote: April 25th, 2024, 11:54 pm I just disabled IPV6 on wired, wifi and cellular network card.
I must have a problem with my wifi because the switch works between the wired network and the cellular network.
On the other hand, I have to update the skin to see the change in IP address.
Is there a way to update the skin every X seconds?

THANKS.
The Update option on the [rainmeter] section is the one in charge of the update rate. It is in ms and it's default is 1000 (1 second). If you are talking about a refresh, you could do that but I wouldn't recommend you do that, since a refresh is heavier compared to an update and can cause rainmeter to freeze and crash.

You should try updating your drivers instead.

If you want to try anyway and see what happens...

Put this on the [rainmeter] section:

OnUpdateAction=[!Refresh]
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: April 25th, 2024, 11:05 pm It's a little weird that your internal IP on your wireless is returning blank, but perhaps it's possible if your setup is IPv6-only.
Maybe, though I'm not that sure about it. I'm also on WiFi and IPv6 and have no problem getting my internal IP. Might be because I'm also part of a local network... :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth