It is currently May 10th, 2024, 1:50 am

Is it possible to have a skin remember its position on a second monitor even when the monitor gets disabled?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
SkyyDX

Is it possible to have a skin remember its position on a second monitor even when the monitor gets disabled?

Post by SkyyDX »

Hi everyone!

This might be a weird edge-case although I wonder is it possible for a skin to not shift to the primary monitor when a secondary one gets disabled?

I use two monitors, both over DisplayPort and a feature of DisplayPort is that a monitor physically gets disconnected when you turn it off. I have that happen quite a lot as I want to conserve power and don't need my second monitor all the time.

Now I made myself a skin config specifically for my second monitor but even if I untick "Keep on Screen", as soon as I turn my second monitor off the whole config wanders to my primary monitor.

Is there a way I can tell the skins to "stay in the void" and remember their position even with the second monitor gone?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Is it possible to have a skin remember its position on a second monitor even when the monitor gets disabled?

Post by Yincognito »

SkyyDX wrote: April 27th, 2024, 2:12 pm Hi everyone!

This might be a weird edge-case although I wonder is it possible for a skin to not shift to the primary monitor when a secondary one gets disabled?

I use two monitors, both over DisplayPort and a feature of DisplayPort is that a monitor physically gets disconnected when you turn it off. I have that happen quite a lot as I want to conserve power and don't need my second monitor all the time.

Now I made myself a skin config specifically for my second monitor but even if I untick "Keep on Screen", as soon as I turn my second monitor off the whole config wanders to my primary monitor.

Is there a way I can tell the skins to "stay in the void" and remember their position even with the second monitor gone?
Does any of these help?
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/skin-sections/#WindowXY (into Rainmeter.ini)
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#SkinsTab (see Skin Settings)

Alternatively, you can use a corresponding !SetWindowPosition bang in an OnRefreshAction or OnUpdateAction in the [Rainmeter] section of your skin, to set such a position on skin load or repeatedly on every skin update:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/bangs/#Skin
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SkyyDX

Re: Is it possible to have a skin remember its position on a second monitor even when the monitor gets disabled?

Post by SkyyDX »

Yincognito wrote: April 27th, 2024, 3:20 pm Does any of these help?
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/skin-sections/#WindowXY (into Rainmeter.ini)
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#SkinsTab (see Skin Settings)

Alternatively, you can use a corresponding !SetWindowPosition bang in an OnRefreshAction or OnUpdateAction in the [Rainmeter] section of your skin, to set such a position on skin load or repeatedly on every skin update:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/bangs/#Skin
Thanks for the reply, thanks to you I figured it out with the second link! I simply set the skins from "Primary Monitor" to "@0 Virtual Monitor" and positioned everything where I wanted it to and now they stay there.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SkyyDX wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:39 pm Thanks for the reply, thanks to you I figured it out with the second link! I simply set the skins from "Primary Monitor" to "@0 Virtual Monitor" and positioned everything where I wanted it to and now they stay there.
Nice - glad it worked out for you! :thumbup:

P.S. Just to be sure and more specific on future questions regarding this, did it work or did you try using @2, @3 and so on (especially when turning off those monitors or switching them), or you simply ended up using @0 because it was more convenient? :???:
SkyyDX

Post by SkyyDX »

Yincognito wrote: April 30th, 2024, 10:12 am Nice - glad it worked out for you! :thumbup:

P.S. Just to be sure and more specific on future questions regarding this, did it work or did you try using @2, @3 and so on (especially when turning off those monitors or switching them), or you simply ended up using @0 because it was more convenient? :???:
Thanks! And I tested it for you, setting it to @2 moves the config back to screen 1 when the monitor is turned off but moves them back to monitor 2 when it is turned on. So @0 is still the best way for me to handle this as it keeps the skins in the void.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SkyyDX wrote: May 1st, 2024, 4:17 pm Thanks! And I tested it for you, setting it to @2 moves the config back to screen 1 when the monitor is turned off but moves them back to monitor 2 when it is turned on. So @0 is still the best way for me to handle this as it keeps the skins in the void.
Thanks for letting me know - much appreciated! :thumbup:
SkyyDX

Post by SkyyDX »

Yincognito wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 6:11 am Thanks for letting me know - much appreciated! :thumbup:
You're welcome! :)