It is currently April 30th, 2024, 7:49 pm

Weather.com issues & alternatives?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Jose Hidalgo

Weather.com issues & alternatives?

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Hi everybody. Hopefully this has been discussed before.

This is the current weather from my window (has been like that all day, and it's 5 PM right now)...

... and this is what my Rainmeter skin has been showing all day long :rofl: :

Now this would be funny, if it didn't happen on a regular basis. :(
I mean, in general weather.com works "OK", but sometimes I just don't get it :confused: Come on... a cloudless sunny day when it's completely cloudy? O.O

I should add that my skin is well set up, with my exact longitude and latitude as given by Maps. And like I said, most of the time weather.com works "OK".

So I just wonder:
- Is there a better/more reliable weather service that would be compatible with Rainmeter?
- Is there a way to make weather.com more reliable with Rainmeter?
- Am I missing something?

Thanks for your insights. ;-)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather.com issues & alternatives?

Post by SilverAzide »

Jose Hidalgo wrote: April 7th, 2024, 3:16 pm So I just wonder:
- Is there a better/more reliable weather service that would be compatible with Rainmeter?
- Is there a way to make weather.com more reliable with Rainmeter?
- Am I missing something?
There are some other weather services you can use, like OpenMeteo and the like, but none have the extensive coverage and features of weather.com. Check the forums for skins that use other services, like this one.

"Compatible with Rainmeter" or "reliable with Rainmeter" isn't really a thing. All Rainmeter can do is read that website's HTML or API data. If the website isn't putting out the correct data, there isn't anything you or Rainmeter can do about it. If you are seeing errors in the Rainmeter log however, then perhaps there is a bug in the code where data is in some unexpected format, so you need to review the logs to see.

Another thing you can try is to enter a location for somewhere nearby. Sometimes a particular weather station doesn't supply valid data or acts erratically, so choose another nearby location (you can tell if the location is different if the location name is different than what you normally see). A solid usually-reliable location is the nearest airport. If you get better results, then you know the problem is the observation station closest to your location.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Jose Hidalgo

Re: Weather.com issues & alternatives?

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Thank you for a very useful reply! Will check all that out! :thumbup: