It is currently May 12th, 2024, 2:44 pm

RainformerHWi + Remote Host Monitoring - hwinfo.dll plugin question

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
war4peace

RainformerHWi + Remote Host Monitoring - hwinfo.dll plugin question

Post by war4peace »

Hello everyone,

I am a relative beginner in Rainmeter usage, but I can find my way around, if pointed to the right documentation.
Currently configuring Rainmeter with RainformerHWi skin pack, and I have stumbled upon a small issue.
I own HWinfo64 pro on two different machines. My main PC pulls data from a remote PC, the data is correctly displayed in HWInfo64, and I managed to configure most values into RainformerHWi to display.
However, under the "GPU2" skin, I want to pull remote data from the other machine's GPU. I can set the values into HWInfo Shared Memory Viewer, but they don't get displayed under the "GPU2" skin. While troubleshooting this, I looked at the HWiNFO.inc file in the "@Resources" folder and the remote host ID is present - meaning values should update.

Code: Select all

HWiNFO-GPU2-Usage-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-Temp-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-Fan-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-FanRPM-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-MemAlloc-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-MemUsg-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-Clock-HostId=0
HWiNFO-GPU2-MemClock-HostId=0
HWiNFO-TEMPS-GPU2-HostId=0
I don't know what the next troubleshooting step would be.
If anyone out there managed to pull data from a remote machine with HWInfo64 to display in Rainmeter, I would be very thankful for some advice.

Thank you!
RicardoTM

Re: RainformerHWi + Remote Host Monitoring - hwinfo.dll plugin question

Post by RicardoTM »

I think that skin uses an old version of the HWiNFO plugin. I'm not familiar with remote monitoring, but you could try with my resizable gauges (link on my signature) that use the latest version and see if they work with that.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

RicardoTM wrote: April 28th, 2024, 11:16 am I think that skin uses an old version of the HWiNFO plugin. I'm not familiar with remote monitoring, but you could try with my resizable gauges (link on my signature) that use the latest version and see if they work with that.
They won't. Your skins use the non-Pro HWiNFO method that reads data from the registry. Remote monitoring requires using the Shared Memory feature of HWiNFO Pro, thus requiring the older-style HWiNFO plugin. The free version of HWiNFO does not output remote sensor data to the registry if I recall correctly, but it has been a while and I could be mistaken.
war4peace wrote: April 28th, 2024, 9:49 am I own HWinfo64 pro on two different machines. My main PC pulls data from a remote PC, the data is correctly displayed in HWInfo64, and I managed to configure most values into RainformerHWi to display.
However, under the "GPU2" skin, I want to pull remote data from the other machine's GPU. I can set the values into HWInfo Shared Memory Viewer, but they don't get displayed under the "GPU2" skin. While troubleshooting this, I looked at the HWiNFO.inc file in the "@Resources" folder and the remote host ID is present - meaning values should update.

[...]

I don't know what the next troubleshooting step would be.
If anyone out there managed to pull data from a remote machine with HWInfo64 to display in Rainmeter, I would be very thankful for some advice.
What is that code you posted? Is it part of the configuration for the Rainformer suite? If it is, I can't find it in the version of the suite on DA. As far as I know, if you want Rainformer to pull data from a remote host, you'll have to edit all the HWiNFO plugin measures to configure the remote host ID. This is pretty simple, if it is needed. The HWiNFO docs and plugin are here.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
war4peace

Post by war4peace »

SilverAzide wrote: April 28th, 2024, 4:56 pm What is that code you posted? Is it part of the configuration for the Rainformer suite? If it is, I can't find it in the version of the suite on DA. As far as I know, if you want Rainformer to pull data from a remote host, you'll have to edit all the HWiNFO plugin measures to configure the remote host ID. This is pretty simple, if it is needed. The HWiNFO docs and plugin are here.
The code is in the Rainformer Suite, which I pulled today from DA.
The file is here (relevant directory structuse displayed): Rainmeter\Skins\RainformerHWi\@Resources\HWiNFO.inc
Configuration is correct in the file itself, although the exact variable is different; instead of the original thread (from 2016) which says to use "HWiNFOHostId=x", the Rainformer configuration file uses a different variable, one for each measure, e.g. "HWiNFO-GPU2-Usage-HostId=x" - I guess that's due to version changes since 8 years ago.
At any rate, I tried adding the original thread's variable as well, it does nothing.

To summarize:
- HWInfo SMV does show the data from the remote machine.
- I have configured all measures in Rainformer according to manual's instructions.
- Local values are being pulled correctly.
- Configuration looks correct.
- Remote machine Values are <i>not</i> displayed in the skins themselves. Local machine values are displayed correctly.

Furthermore, I have downloaded and installed ModernGadgets skin pack, and the issue is consistent across those skin packs.
I think I am just out of luck...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

war4peace wrote: April 28th, 2024, 8:17 pm The code is in the Rainformer Suite, which I pulled today from DA.
The file is here (relevant directory structuse displayed): Rainmeter\Skins\RainformerHWi\@Resources\HWiNFO.inc
Sorry, but SilverAzide is correct, there's no such code (i.e. "-HostId" variables) in the Rainformer suite:
https://www.deviantart.com/pul53dr1v3r/art/Rainformer-3-1-HWiNFO-Edition-Rainmeter-789616481
So, you or someone else probably modified the original code.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

war4peace wrote: April 28th, 2024, 8:17 pm Configuration is correct in the file itself, although the exact variable is different; instead of the original thread (from 2016) which says to use "HWiNFOHostId=x", the Rainformer configuration file uses a different variable, one for each measure, e.g. "HWiNFO-GPU2-Usage-HostId=x" - I guess that's due to version changes since 8 years ago.
This is not correct, you are conflating two different things and getting them mixed up. The HWiNFO docs are correct (and they are not obsolete). The Rainformer code you showed (which I can't find in my code) are variables, not measure options.

war4peace wrote: April 28th, 2024, 8:17 pm The code is in the Rainformer Suite, which I pulled today from DA.
Configuration is correct in the file itself, although the exact variable is different; instead of the original thread (from 2016) which says to use "HWiNFOHostId=x", the Rainformer configuration file uses a different variable, one for each measure, e.g. "HWiNFO-GPU2-Usage-HostId=x" - I guess that's due to version changes since 8 years ago.
At any rate, I tried adding the original thread's variable as well, it does nothing.

To summarize:
- HWInfo SMV does show the data from the remote machine.
- I have configured all measures in Rainformer according to manual's instructions.
- Local values are being pulled correctly.
- Configuration looks correct.
- Remote machine Values are <i>not</i> displayed in the skins themselves. Local machine values are displayed correctly.

Furthermore, I have downloaded and installed ModernGadgets skin pack, and the issue is consistent across those skin packs.
I think I am just out of luck...
No, no, no, you are not out of luck! :) ModernGadgets doesn't support remote monitoring either, so that is not a valid comparison.

The problem is the skins, not HWiNFO or the plugin. As I was trying to say above, that section of code you posted does not appear in the Rainformer suite. Maybe it somehow gets added if you have a remote host, but it does NOT appear in the code I have for the latest 3.1 version. But either way, the skins themselves are not configured to handle remote hosts.

For example, in the GPU2 skin, look at this measure:

Code: Select all

[GpuCoreUsage]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=HWiNFO.dll
HWiNFOSensorId=#HWiNFO-Gpu2-Usage-SensorId#
HWiNFOSensorInstance=#HWiNFO-Gpu2Usage-SensorInstance#
HWiNFOEntryId=#HWiNFO-Gpu2-Usage-EntryId#
HWiNFOType=CurrentValue
MinValue=0
MaxValue=100
Disabled=(#GpuUsage#=0)
As described in the HWiNFO docs, you can see the HWiNFOHostId option is missing. Therefore this measure is ONLY going to look at your local GPU sensors.

If you want this skin to see remote HWiNFO sensors, you need to add the line HWiNFOHostId=<your remote host id> to every HWiNFO plugin measure in the skin. Or, if you want to use that code snippet, you need to set the remote host Id (if it is not zero) then add the line
HWiNFOHostId=#HWiNFO-TEMPS-GPU2-HostId# to all the measures.

That is all that is needed.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

So this makes me wonder. Can't remote stuff be "reported to gadget" as normal sensors and then be called with registry measures?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: April 28th, 2024, 10:33 pm So this makes me wonder. Can't remote stuff be "reported to gadget" as normal sensors and then be called with registry measures?
Even if you do that, you'd still need some form of communicating values between the remote computer and the main one - see here. That is what is missing from a "normal" / "local" setup of HWiNFO, where a server like machine doesn't exist. Whether you can do remote monitoring for free or not, that's another matter - posts on both HWiNFO and Reddit are kind of vague in that regard. Most likely, you'd have to test that yourself, if you have two machines connected. I'm not sure it can be done for free with a smartphone as the main recipient for the data in a local network (on roughly the same principle as here), at least not necessarily using HWiNFO only software, so I suppose two computers would be needed to test that possibility.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

RicardoTM wrote: April 28th, 2024, 10:33 pm So this makes me wonder. Can't remote stuff be "reported to gadget" as normal sensors and then be called with registry measures?
Possibly! As Yincognito said, you'd have to set up another machine on your network and try it, because the docs are unclear/non-existent.

Martin (the HWiNFO dev) had conversations with myself and JSMorley back when HWiNFO v7.0 came out and we were looking for a work-around for shared memory being limited to 12-hours. Martin suggested using HWiNFO's "sidebar gadget" registry feature and altered its functionality for Rainmeter, but unfortunately I can't recall if this feature works with remote monitoring. This "sidebar gadget" feature has always been much more limited in what you can get from HWiNFO (min/max/avg/units, etc.) and perhaps remote monitoring is limited too, we don't know. The docs DO say remote monitoring requires Shared Memory to be enabled, so it will be subject to the 12-hour limit with the free version.

I don't have a second machine that I can test with, otherwise I'd have done it already. :(
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Unfortunately I'm on the same boat. I don't have another pc to test, nor the pro version.

It will be up to the op to do the testing. If those sensors appear on the gadget tab and can be assigned to an index value then it should work.